Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

• 2 weeks later...
4 blocks from my house. But doesn't a multi-racial street gang make you all warm and fuzzy inside, different races coming together to gangbang?

If you remember, the city / CTA cut a deal with the Transit union, they ousted existing trained security guards and made all of those positions union jobs - jobs that suddenly didn't require a background check, and only 16 hours total of training

http://www.bettergov.org/cta_security_gamble/

One difference, though: The CTA isn’t requiring its customer-service workers to get state security licenses – something the agency now requires under its private security guard contract...The more-than-450 full-time CTA rail guards employed by those companies all are licensed through the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, so they’re trained and screened under rules set by state law.

Besides the step down in security that moving in these union wonks created when it comes to normal crime, its also great that the CTA is completely without trained security personnel now that terrorists are going to be targeting subways and public transportation.

• 2 months later...

If you remember, the city / CTA cut a deal with the Transit union, they ousted existing trained security guards and made all of those positions union jobs - jobs that suddenly didn't require a background check, and only 16 hours total of training

Not to derail the thread too much, but I find this hilarious! Didn't they say we needed 40+ hours of training "like the police" before we are allowed to be armed in public? they compromised down to 16, and now here we are, CTA 'professional security' only needs 16 hours. If you ever wanted proof that the training time was used to discourage the public from exercising their rights, here it is.

3pm nov 14, victim entered the blue line train at oak park avenue and was approached by a man in a grey hoodie and dark jeans. The offender grabbed the victim and started to pat him down, so the victim pulled the emergency cord. At that, the robber reached inside his own hoodie and implied he had a weapon. The victim then gave up his wallet, left the train and called police. The robber was last seen traveling eastbound inside the train.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears it was while on a CTA bus!

http://wgntv.com/201...s-on-west-side/

Two people have been shot while on a CTA bus on the city’s West Side.

The Chicago Fire Department has confirmed.

The shooting happened around 10 a.m. Tuesday at Jackson and Western.

The conditions of the people shot are unknown.

http://www.suntimes.com/31613288-761/police-search-for-suspects-in-blue-line-attack-assailants-had-posted-video-online.html

Police search for suspects in Blue Line attack; assailants had posted video online

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE December 12, 2014 9:56AM

Authorities are searching for two people who videotaped themselves attacking and taunting an elderly man on a CTA Blue Line train, then uploaded the video to social media.

READ MORE AT: http://chicagosuntimes.com/news/police-searching-for-suspects-in-videotaped-blue-line-attack/

CPD became aware of the existence of the video this Thursday (12/11) but according to the article referenced do not know when the attack occurred. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBzIJTDfDFQ#t=12

That's why I do this: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53824&do=findComment&comment=850659

Eventually, the prohibition for concealed carry on public transportation will be challenged in court by someone savvy enough to get it thrown out, but until then, I'm "transporting" my firearm with me whenever I'm riding. I also carry a cane, that's in actuality a door-breaching tool that I've repurposed, so I have a self-defense weapon literally in hand to buy myself some time to get my firearm out if need be.

Not all attackers people need protection from are of the 2 legged variety...http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-71-attacked-by-dogs-while-waiting-for-bus/455861/

A 71-year-old woman was waiting at a bus stop around 7 a.m. when she was attacked by what police say were two German shepherds. Before the ambulance arrived, witnesses say a few people passing by tried to chase the dogs away, including a CTA bus driver.

adding this one http://abc7chicago.com/news/man-fatally-shot-at-bus-stop-in-douglas-park/439941/ even though it was a drive by shooting,maybe they wouldn't target a CTA stop if an armed citizen might be in there to fight back.

Really? DO you actually think thats the reason? I don't think it has anything to do with it. Some of you guys really take something thats been happening for ages now to a whole new level.

Point being criminals don't care if its a gun free zone or not they are going to do what ever they want when ever they want its been proven.

adding this one http://abc7chicago.com/news/man-fatally-shot-at-bus-stop-in-douglas-park/439941/ even though it was a drive by shooting,maybe they wouldn't target a CTA stop if an armed citizen might be in there to fight back.

Really? DO you actually think thats the reason? I don't think it has anything to do with it. Some of you guys really take something thats been happening for ages now to a whole new level.

Point being criminals don't care if its a gun free zone or not they are going to do what ever they want when ever they want its been proven.

Really.I do believe criminals would give it a second thought if they thought the victims had a chance to defend themselves,not knowing if somebody is armed or not.They might still attempt do it, but IL should give the would be victim a chance to fight back.

And yes all types of crime has been happening at public trans. locations for a long time,but IMO it won't get any better until law abiding citizens can defend themselves there.

And by your last sentence you make it sound as if you believe GFZs,where we're at their mercy, are as safe as legal places to carry.I don't agree with that at all.

Sex offender charged with assaulting 4-year-old girl on CTA bus

A convicted sex offender who had just completed his required weekly registration with Chicago police boarded a CTA bus outside police headquarters and sexually assaulted a 4-year-old girl sitting with her mother, Cook County prosecutors said Friday.

"For you to do that on a CTA bus with the child's parent on that bus tells me you are in fact a danger to yourself and society," Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil said while ordering Judex Colon, 32, held without bail on a charge of predatory criminal sexual assault of a victim under age 13. The Class X charges carries a sentence of 6 to 30 years in prison on conviction.

Colon was convicted in 2008 of sexually abusing two girls while working as a carnival-ride operator in Indiana, prosecutors said.

A police booking photo showed Colon, who was arrested Wednesday, wearing an orange T-shirt that read, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you."

He appeared to be wearing the same shirt under a black hoodie in court Friday.

Prosecutors said that after registering at police headquarters Tuesday morning, Colon boarded a northbound CTA bus on Ashland Avenue. The mother entered the bus with her daughter and a son at a stop at Polk Street, prosecutors said.

Colon, sitting next to the girl, fondled and assaulted her under her clothes, said Assistant State's Attorney Sarah Karr, calling the attack "brazen."

The girl told her mother what had happened when they arrived home, according to the prosecutor.

Surveillance video and Colon's Ventra card corroborated the child's account, Karr said.

After his arrest at his Northwest Side home, Colon admitted fondling and sexually assaulting the girl, according to Karr.

Colon was required to register as a sex offender after pleading guilty in Indiana to sexually abusing two girls who had been riding a Ghost Pirates ride at the Lake County Fair in 2007, according to prosecutors and published reports.

In 2013, Colon pleaded guilty in Cook County to failing to register as a sex offender and was sentenced to two years in prison, court records show.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-sex-offender-assault-girl-met-20150109-story.html?track=rss

Sex offender charged with assaulting 4-year-old girl on CTA bus

A convicted sex offender who had just completed his required weekly registration with Chicago police boarded a CTA bus outside police headquarters and sexually assaulted a 4-year-old girl sitting with her mother, Cook County prosecutors said Friday.

"For you to do that on a CTA bus with the child's parent on that bus tells me you are in fact a danger to yourself and society," Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil said while ordering Judex Colon, 32, held without bail on a charge of predatory criminal sexual assault of a victim under age 13. The Class X charges carries a sentence of 6 to 30 years in prison on conviction.

Colon was convicted in 2008 of sexually abusing two girls while working as a carnival-ride operator in Indiana, prosecutors said.

A police booking photo showed Colon, who was arrested Wednesday, wearing an orange T-shirt that read, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you."

He appeared to be wearing the same shirt under a black hoodie in court Friday.

Prosecutors said that after registering at police headquarters Tuesday morning, Colon boarded a northbound CTA bus on Ashland Avenue. The mother entered the bus with her daughter and a son at a stop at Polk Street, prosecutors said.

Colon, sitting next to the girl, fondled and assaulted her under her clothes, said Assistant State's Attorney Sarah Karr, calling the attack "brazen."

The girl told her mother what had happened when they arrived home, according to the prosecutor.

Surveillance video and Colon's Ventra card corroborated the child's account, Karr said.

After his arrest at his Northwest Side home, Colon admitted fondling and sexually assaulting the girl, according to Karr.

Colon was required to register as a sex offender after pleading guilty in Indiana to sexually abusing two girls who had been riding a Ghost Pirates ride at the Lake County Fair in 2007, according to prosecutors and published reports.

In 2013, Colon pleaded guilty in Cook County to failing to register as a sex offender and was sentenced to two years in prison, court records show.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-sex-offender-assault-girl-met-20150109-story.html?track=rss

Oh, ain't just grand living in a sanctuary state?

He's trying to turn his life around, he slipped through the cracks. Our justice situation didn't fail us. I guarantee if you did the exact same things you'd be in shackles and your name and face would be all over tv and on posters in people neighborhoods and people would be throwing Molotov cocktails through the windows of your home to drive you out of their neighborhoods.

Archived