Moving to Arizona in Two Weeks...

ChiSoxFan05

I am moving to Arizona in two weeks. My FOID was revoked for a voluntary mental health admission back in 2013. My five year anniversary of that incident will be in September 2018. However, I have been seeing a therapist for the past 5 years. Next week will be our last meeting. From what I understand, under federal law, I am still eligible to own a firearm as I have never gone to court for mental issues nor have I even been involuntarily admitted for mental health reasons. Illinois's FOID requirements are that is throwing a wrench in things. I just learned that if I cease to be an Illinois resident, I am no longer eligible for a FOID card. However, since I wouldn't be eligible, I theoretically would not be able to get my FOID reinstated. What I am also not clear on is whether or not Illinois reports both involuntary and voluntary mental health admissions to NICS. Long story short, what I am asking is that will I have to eventually move back to Illinois to get my FOID restored in order to get my gun rights back?

I would think that if you move to Arizona, Illinois laws would no longer apply to you (unless you return to Illinois).

In Arizona it's constitutional carry and you are allowed to own and carry unless you're a prohibited person. If you can answer the 4473 form honestly and all questions No except for the first one then I'd think you'd be gtg in Arizona.

IANAL

Yes as an Illinois resident (if you move back) you need a FOID for you gun rights...

If your married your wife should get one to cover any laps..

Put them in your trunk unloaded and go, no problems in AZ with owning them.

Buying new is question I can't answer, but then again your wife can buy anything she wants ;)

Why move back to Illinois? Enjoy your freedom in a free state.

'Free' for now. Demographics are changing in Arizona. http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/342427-republicans-face-growing-demographic-shift-in-west

What state isn't stuck with changing demographics? The problem is how those detrimental changes can be slowed or stopped?

Archived