ATF Considering Banning AR Pistol Braces?

Euler

TFB

Congressman Matt Gaetz announced today on his podcast the ATF is crafting secret rules restricting the possession of certain pistol braces by American citizens, and that he has sent them a letter demanding they stop.

"We understand that ATF is currently considering restricting one arm brace model owned by over 700,000 Americans," Congressman Gaetz writes along with six other members of Congress. "We strongly urge ATF to cease taking any actions and reconsider or rescind any secret determinations which call into question the legality of firearms owned by millions of law-abiding Americans."

"There is always a need to vindicate our Second Amendment rights," Gaetz says on his podcast, "Hot Takes with Matt Gaetz."

Click here to listen to the pod cast. 6:00 minutes in is where he talks about the brace ban.

I spoke with Alex Bosco, CEO of SB Tactical and here is his company's statement regarding this news.

Although this may seem alarming, it is, in fact, nothing new. Since 2015, SB Tactical has been actively engaged in discussions with the ATF and working tirelessly to encourage them to provide clear and public guidance regarding what constitutes a brace and the standards by which braces are measured. At this time, we are unaware of any plans by the ATF to make any announcements regarding Pistol Stabilizing Braces. We are grateful that Congressmen Matt Gaetz, Bill Posey, John Rutherford, Daniel Webster, Neil P. Dunn, W. Gregory Steube, and Ted S. Yoho are committed to protecting the second amendment rights of law abiding Americans.

I haven't listened to the podcast, but it sounds like the ATF is changing its mind on braces used to shoulder a pistol.

TFB

Congressman Matt Gaetz announced today on his podcast the ATF is crafting secret rules restricting the possession of certain pistol braces by American citizens, and that he has sent them a letter demanding they stop.

"We understand that ATF is currently considering restricting one arm brace model owned by over 700,000 Americans," Congressman Gaetz writes along with six other members of Congress. "We strongly urge ATF to cease taking any actions and reconsider or rescind any secret determinations which call into question the legality of firearms owned by millions of law-abiding Americans."

"There is always a need to vindicate our Second Amendment rights," Gaetz says on his podcast, "Hot Takes with Matt Gaetz."

Click here to listen to the pod cast. 6:00 minutes in is where he talks about the brace ban.

I spoke with Alex Bosco, CEO of SB Tactical and here is his company's statement regarding this news.

Although this may seem alarming, it is, in fact, nothing new. Since 2015, SB Tactical has been actively engaged in discussions with the ATF and working tirelessly to encourage them to provide clear and public guidance regarding what constitutes a brace and the standards by which braces are measured. At this time, we are unaware of any plans by the ATF to make any announcements regarding Pistol Stabilizing Braces. We are grateful that Congressmen Matt Gaetz, Bill Posey, John Rutherford, Daniel Webster, Neil P. Dunn, W. Gregory Steube, and Ted S. Yoho are committed to protecting the second amendment rights of law abiding Americans.

I haven't listened to the podcast, but it sounds like the ATF is changing its mind on braces used to shoulder a pistol.

ATF is not changing its mind on anything. Pistol braces are not designed or intended to be “shouldered”. They do allow for a more stabilized rest, thereby increasing accuracy for the user. The result being an increased precision in shots on target. It would seem silly to argue that restrictions should be imposed that would increase the potential for an errant bullet. That would be nonsensical. But...

TFB

ATF is not changing its mind on anything. Pistol braces are not designed or intended to be “shouldered”. They do allow for a more stabilized rest, thereby increasing accuracy for the user. The result being an increased precision in shots on target. It would seem silly to argue that restrictions should be imposed that would increase the potential for an errant bullet. That would be nonsensical. But...

Since the pistol brace was designed to help handicapped people use rifle caliber pistols safely the ATF would be violating the ADA by banning use of such an adaptive accessory.

TFB

I read about this on The Truth About Guns (TTAG) and apparently they are doing what they normally do except now the legislators are finding out about their effectively crafting hidden legislation in the form of hidden regulations that they do not share with the public. In at least one case they tried to prosecute someone with a hidden rule only to fail miserably.

"Since the pistol brace was designed to help handicapped people use rifle caliber pistols safely the ATF would be violating the ADA by banning use of such an adaptive accessory."

I 100% agree. SB tactical invented it for disabled Vets, and they and ALL the physically challenged should be allowed to use them without restriction. For the hale & hearty among us? IMHO that's a different story. But that's just MY view, I won't park in a Handicapped Parking slot at the store either.

"Since the pistol brace was designed to help handicapped people use rifle caliber pistols safely the ATF would be violating the ADA by banning use of such an adaptive accessory."

I 100% agree. SB tactical invented it for disabled Vets, and they and ALL the physically challenged should be allowed to use them without restriction. For the hale & hearty among us? IMHO that's a different story. But that's just MY view, I won't park in a Handicapped Parking slot at the store either.

A handicapped parking spot usually requires a permission slip of sorts. Let's not go down that rabbit hole.

"Let's not go down that rabbit hole. "

:laugh: Cuz the majority of people now using it having a physical disability ain't a rabbit hole. LOL

Opinions are just that, opinions, not facts. MY opinion puts the brace in the same category as I put the bump stock. They are mostly used as a 'way around' the regs. NOT a fact, merely an opinion.

show me the exception to the NFA for handicapped people under the ADA.

Under that logic, the ADA mandates machineguns be legal for people with weak trigger fingers, who want to shoot fast. Or mail order guns must be allowed for people with no legs, as its hard to walk into the gunstore, thats just not how things work

show me the exception to the NFA for handicapped people under the ADA.

Under that logic, the ADA mandates machineguns be legal for people with weak trigger fingers, who want to shoot fast. Or mail order guns must be allowed for people with no legs, as its hard to walk into the gunstore, thats just not how things work

<Grabs Hammer>

Ya...Trigger finger and legs...I'm looking at you!

Archived