Conceal Carry under board review because of Arrest

Gmedel14

I Live in the city of Chicago and after the 3 month period my conceal carry went from under review to under board review. I was arrested a couple years ago for a couple hours I got fingerprints taken I guess its standard processing. They had arrested me for being a suspect in a shooting and suspect of being in a gang with the other individuals arrested around me but was later found after a couple hours to be a witness I didnt have to go to court or anything. But when the explanation came up of why I had been rejected and I received a letter also it said I was in the Chicago data base as a registered self admitted Gang member of a gang. I never admitted to being in a gang or anything. But when I joined the Army I was also fingerprinted and wasnt denied to join and I was also allowed to have a FOID card and even purchase my own Handgun. I dont understand why after everything I was allowed to do all this to even get a FOID and purchase a handgun if I was a threat to Chicagos society I dont understand the process of this at all. Can someone explain if there is something I can do I know most is just wait and see its been 8 months from which I applied.

Do you know for a fact that they put you on the CPD gang database?

If everything is as you say, contact the district and try to see if you can talk to the arresting officer. Explain the situation nicely and see if you can get any info. Tell him that you're a law-abiding citizen trying to exercise your constitutional rights. The CPD gang taskforce database got updated in April, and its now called: Criminal Enterprise Information System.

You may have to submit a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request to see if you're in there. If you are, find out how you can file a dispute and be ready for a long and laborious process.

I'm sure others on here can chime in with information that might be helpful as well.

I Live in the city of Chicago and after the 3 month period my conceal carry went from under review to under board review. I was arrested a couple years ago for a couple hours I got fingerprints taken I guess its standard processing. They had arrested me for being a suspect in a shooting and suspect of being in a gang with the other individuals arrested around me but was later found after a couple hours to be a witness I didnt have to go to court or anything.

But when the explanation came up of why I had been rejected and I received a letter also it said I was in the Chicago data base as a registered self admitted Gang member of a gang. I never admitted to being in a gang or anything. But when I joined the Army I was also fingerprinted and wasnt denied to join and I was also allowed to have a FOID card and even purchase my own Handgun. I dont understand why after everything I was allowed to do all this to even get a FOID and purchase a handgun if I was a threat to Chicagos society I dont understand the process of this at all. Can someone explain if there is something I can do I know most is just wait and see its been 8 months from which I applied.

When did the CCL Review Board send the letter telling you who objected and why? Did it ask for a response from you?

If they requested it, have you responded to the board with a statement in your own behalf? If you have not responded yet, please see this link for helpful suggestions.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66414

Fortunately, the Board has been overruling about 80-85% of these objections.

Yeah they put me into the system in the letter I received about the officer rejecting my application it says that “the applicant is a danger to myself or other or a threat to public safety.”They also put that “in support of the objection, Chicago Police Department reports reflects the following: the applicant is listed in the Chicago Police Gang Member Data Base as a member of the [Gang Name].” I received this letter on January 15 2020 I responded and explained the situation of it was a mistake that even the officer and detectives saw that it was a mistake for me to be in the jail. I was still fingerprinted and taken a photo of for their system but I also was truthful with every detail regarding the incident. I also explained how I’m not the person they are portraying me to be and I actually am in the military and working in my community and my type of job working as security. Now I’m waiting and I don’t know how long it’ll take for the process can anyone just give me any information on what else I have to do other than wait or it’s just a waiting game?

• 5 months later...

Update: I just checked how my application is going and it went from under board review to under review and I checked on multiple devices to make sure it actually changed can someone tell me what this means? Also can it be a mistake? If it isn't can I go back to Under board review?

It could be a mistake...BUT, you dont want to be under board review. It would seem they have reviewed the objection and dismissed it putting you back into the normal application review flow and processing. Thats a good thing.

Update: It says my Concealed Carry License is active but my number is the same as my FOID is that okay or are they suppose to be different numbers just curious i thought they were suppose to be different but nothing wrong with asking for help if im not sure thanks for any reponses.

Being the same is just fine...

No worries there...

(I'd have to go to the safe to check my FOID)..but the difference in the number will be a couple extra digits...

And CONGRATS on on your FCCL!!

thanks for the response

Update: It says my Concealed Carry License is active but my number is the same as my FOID is that okay or are they suppose to be different numbers just curious i thought they were suppose to be different but nothing wrong with asking for help if im not sure thanks for any reponses.

No worries there...

(I'd have to go to the safe to check my FOID)..but the difference in the number will be a couple extra digits...

ohh alright alright thanks i just needed to be sure

No worries there...

Mine have the exact same number but when I did the Person to Person Firearms Transfer on the ISP website,

it left off the last two digits of the number. My FOID was renewed 6 months after I got my Concealed Carry License.

It's normal if they both have the same number.

They used to be different by a couple of extra digits. They changed them to match a few years ago. This is why some people were getting a new FOID card automatically sent after getting their CCL.

I don't think the last two numbers actually mean anything but it did confuse the person I bought a firearm from.

The ISP transfer printout was missing the last two digits so he wrote them in, I didn't care.

I made a scan of both FOIDs, the ISP transfer OK and wrote up a bill of sale.

We both have a copy.

IIRC correctly, the year they added the two extra digits to make them the same length and match, it was simply the year e.g. 14 for 2014. Im surprised...well, actually, maybe Im not...that they never fixed that on the transfer form as its been a while.

They used to be different by a couple of extra digits. They changed them to match a few years ago. This is why some people were getting a new FOID card automatically sent after getting their CCL.

I don't think the last two numbers actually mean anything but it did confuse the person I bought a firearm from.

The ISP transfer printout was missing the last two digits so he wrote them in, I didn't care.

I made a scan of both FOIDs, the ISP transfer OK and wrote up a bill of sale.

We both have a copy.

IIRC correctly, the year they added the two extra digits to make them the same length and match, it was simply the year e.g. 14 for 2014. Im surprised...well, actually, maybe Im not...that they never fixed that on the transfer form as its been a while.

It's Illinois, this state doesn't have to make sense.

The last 2 digits on mine are 47 so I don't know how how that works.

The transfer form leaves them off causing confusion for some.

"Hey your FOID # is ********47 but the transfer form says ********!"

Yeah it's fake, now give me your wallet and my cash back, I'm a robber with a now loaded gun.

It's like the same name stuff, John Doe, Bill Smith, etc.

Aren't the FOID numbers completely different?

That's proof that the FOID is pretty useless. FTIP?

I thought they added the 2 digits to the beginning of the number, hence both of mine are now '14'.

Archived