Quick reference list of '09/'10 bills

45superman

HB3991

Link to HB3991

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owner Identification Card Act. Requires (instead of permits) the Department of State Police to deny an application or to revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under the Act if the Department finds that the applicant or person to whom such card was issued is or was at the time of issuance the subject to an existing order of protection. Amends the Domestic Violence Article of the Code of Criminal Procedure of 1963 and the Illinois Domestic Violence Act of 1986. Provides that if the court is satisfied that there is any danger of the illegal use of firearms, it shall include in the order of protection the requirement that any Firearm Owner's Identification Card of the respondent be turned over to the local law enforcement agency for safekeeping.

The intent looks good but this should probably go on the watch list.

Should read that the person for whom the Order was intended to protect be issued a .38 and a box of shells and be taught how to use them. The subject of the OOP should be informed of that fact.

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods this morning.

AB

How about the person is issued a special LTC, so the aren't at risk when outside their home.

• 4 weeks later...

Still in rules...is it worth worrying about?

HB3791

4/1/2009 House Second Reading - Standard Debate

4/1/2009 House Held on Calendar Order of Second Reading - Standard Debate

4/3/2009 House Rule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that a municipal police department or church may establish a Firearm Relinquishment Amnesty Program. Provides that a resident of the county or municipality where the law enforcement agency that has established a Firearm Relinquishment Amnesty Program is located may, without identifying himself or herself and without being subject to prosecution for a violation of State law or a county or municipal ordinance relating to the illegal possession of that firearm, transfer the firearm to that local law enforcement agency or church. Preempts home rule. Effective immediately.

Still in rules...is it worth worrying about?

HB3791

4/1/2009 House Second Reading - Standard Debate

4/1/2009 House Held on Calendar Order of Second Reading - Standard Debate

4/3/2009 House Rule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that a municipal police department or church may establish a Firearm Relinquishment Amnesty Program. Provides that a resident of the county or municipality where the law enforcement agency that has established a Firearm Relinquishment Amnesty Program is located may, without identifying himself or herself and without being subject to prosecution for a violation of State law or a county or municipal ordinance relating to the illegal possession of that firearm, transfer the firearm to that local law enforcement agency or church. Preempts home rule. Effective immediately.

Personally, I'm not too worried about it. Not only does it seem not to be going anywhere, it doesn't seem like a very big deal, either. I know I classified it as "bad," but that has more to do with my bad attitude than it does with any real effect the bill would have if it became law.

I am puzzled as to why Rep. Careen Gordon is a co-sponsor.

Archived