In a Traffic Accident Interaction With LEO While Carrying

junglebob

I was driving in Carbondale Illinois yesterday when someone pulled out in front of me from a side street and I hit them on the drivers side. The young girl driving the other car wasn't hurt, nor was I. My van was totaled I believe.

I called 911 and a LEO arrived a few minutes later. He asked us for drivers licenses and insurance cards. He asks us to go to a parking lot about a block away. He comes back to me and asks if he can see my concealed carry license which I take out of my wallet. He looks at the back of the card at a label with a name and phone number and asks what that is. I say it is an attorney's phone number. He asks if it was much trouble to get the CCL. I said I took a 16 hour class and it took a couple months to get it.

I found it interesting that he never asked if I was carrying. He also didn't give me any instruction to keep my hands away from my gun. He didn't seem intimidated and treated me no differently than the other driver.

I was driving in Carbondale Illinois yesterday when someone pulled out in front of me from a side street and I hit them on the drivers side. The young girl driving the other car wasn't hurt, nor was I. My van was totaled I believe.

I called 911 and a LEO arrived a few minutes later. He asked us for drivers licenses and insurance cards. He asks us to go to a parking lot about a block away. He comes back to me and asks if he can see my concealed carry license which I take out of my wallet. He looks at the back of the card at a label with a name and phone number and asks what that is. I say it is an attorney's phone number. He asks if it was much trouble to get the CCL. I said I took a 16 hour class and it took a couple months to get it.

I found it interesting that he never asked if I was carrying. He also didn't give me any instruction to keep my hands away from my gun. He didn't seem intimidated and treated me no differently than the other driver.

Why would he want to see your card only? What if you weren't carrying that day and didn't have your CCL with you? Seems like a strange interaction

I'm just wondering why JB had to start 2 threads about this. :poke:

You saw that too?? LOL!

Fat fingered? Getting his post count up? Multi-tasking? Senior moment?

I could use any of those for justification.

I'm going with ---> He was so proud of the interaction that he wanted to make sure everyone got to read about it.

I'm just wondering why JB had to starit 2 threads about this. :poke:

You saw that too?? LOL!

Fat fingered? Getting his post count up? Multi-tasking? Senior moment?

I could use any of those for justification.

Actually when I went to post it first I got a message that I had already posted something in the last 24 seconds or something though I hadn't so it said the post was saved and I entered it again figuring it hadn't posted the first time. I'm not really worried about post count anymore, no more stars for getting past five thousand. Will probably never catch up with Ol Coach.

I think my CCL may have been the first one that officer had seen.

I have family in CPD and ironically she never saw a concealed card either till stopping a white dude in englewood while working the saturation team. She walked up to the car and dude had his hands up, holding his dl and concealed card and advised he had a loaded weapon on him.

The response was he was removed from the car, searched the weapon was secured. she ran him he was clear returned everything and let him off the traffic ticket.

I guess if I was stopped in the hotspots too id be a bit nervous also cause everyone down there is got a light trigger finger lately

My experience was quiet different in central Illinos in my home town. I had called 911 after following a car after a shoplifting incident at Krogers where we were loading up our car after shopping and a woman comes running out with security following and jumps in her car and speeds through the lot. About 5 minutes later on the way home we saw the car again and called 911 and followed the car. The police swarmed the vehicle and after the arrest talked to me and asked for my DL? I gave them my DL and CCL. He didn't ask any questions about my firearm and told me I could leave after writing down the information. BTW the woman had an extensive criminal history. The police chief later thanked my wife and I.

In July I was hit by F150 while on my bicycle out with kids. Nothing broken, just bruising and cut here and there. There were 5-7 squad cars, 2 ambulances, firetruck. I carrying my PM9 at a time. They looked at my DL. Never asked to see my CCW card or even if I am carrying. I dont even think anyone realized that I was carrying at a time.

it varies by department and by COP.

I'm confused. When cops run your driver's license, does it somehow flag you if you have your CCL? Is the DMV database tied into the database of CCL holders? I'm wondering why he requested the OP to present it based on the information here.

It'll come up on their in car computer. It's all part of the database.

A ha! I've been wondering about this for months. Thanks.

Do they also get the same info when running your plate?

I'm confused. When cops run your driver's license, does it somehow flag you if you have your CCL? Is the DMV database tied into the database of CCL holders? I'm wondering why he requested the OP to present it based on the information here.

It'll come up on their in car computer. It's all part of the database.

A ha! I've been wondering about this for months. Thanks.

Do they also get the same info when running your plate?

They get the info of the car owner, which may or may not be who's actually driving the car.

Archived