Kolbe et al v. Hogan (CA4 Disposition)

skinnyb82

I have to admit, as I read through the document, I was smiling from ear to ear.

A buddy of mine is currently in law school so we have debates through instant messenger. It's actually pretty fun because we never call one another names and is good practice for him.

I shared this with him and specifically noted this part

We are not a rubber stamp. We require strict scrutiny here not because it aligns with our personal policy preferences but because we believe it is compelled by the law set out in Heller and Chester.

And then I said, this is exactly what I've been talking about with regard to placing judges who act as activists instead of apply previous precedents and constitutional scrutiny to cases that come across their desks. Finally we find a judge that doesn't let their political bias cloud their opinion.

We don't need activist judges, we need people that actually understand the intent that our founders had when creating our founding documents, but also are able to understand and apply previous decisions and logic to cases that are on their desk. Federal judges are supposed to be the people that protect the integrity of the constitution and strike down any laws that are unconstitutional and written into law by corrupt and overreaching government.

Though it looks like if nothing happens within 21 days (no petition from the state, no request from a judge) then there would be no en banc, yes? Would the state appeal to SCOTUS from here, or do they have to wait until the district court issues the new ruling then appeal back to the CA4 first? Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The state says they'll request en banc, it was in one of the articles I read.

Though it looks like if nothing happens within 21 days (no petition from the state, no request from a judge) then there would be no en banc, yes? Would the state appeal to SCOTUS from here, or do they have to wait until the district court issues the new ruling then appeal back to the CA4 first? Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The state says they'll request en banc, it was in one of the articles I read.

Any ideas on how that'll go?

I have to admit, as I read through the document, I was smiling from ear to ear.

A buddy of mine is currently in law school so we have debates through instant messenger. It's actually pretty fun because we never call one another names and is good practice for him.

I shared this with him and specifically noted this part

We are not a rubber stamp. We require strict scrutiny here not because it aligns with our personal policy preferences but because we believe it is compelled by the law set out in Heller and Chester.

And then I said, this is exactly what I've been talking about with regard to placing judges who act as activists instead of apply previous precedents and constitutional scrutiny to cases that come across their desks. Finally we find a judge that doesn't let their political bias cloud their opinion.

We don't need activist judges, we need people that actually understand the intent that our founders had when creating our founding documents, but also are able to understand and apply previous decisions and logic to cases that are on their desk. Federal judges are supposed to be the people that protect the integrity of the constitution and strike down any laws that are unconstitutional and written into law by corrupt and overreaching government.

Hillary is one scary women when it comes to the Supreme Court. This is the biggest single reason to vote for a Republican this time round. If this woman gets in.. truly... our way of life is over as we know it. Here is a clip from her Town Hall a couple of nights ago. She is asked what litmus test will she perform when choosing Supreme Court Justices - She then goes on for a couple of minutes on this subject. All that time talking about the choosing Supreme Court Justices ... and never once mentions the Constitution!

Again... scary...

The woman said Obama would make an excellent Justice. Any lunatic that thinks Obama would make even a mediocre Justice needs...help. He has zero respect for the Constitution, spit on it more times than I have fingers and toes. Then again Commom Core teaches that the document is a living document so that fits in with the liberal agenda.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That is scary, and shows once again how hostile she is to the 1st Amendment to go along with her well-known hostility to the 2nd. She rails against the Citizens United decision (a case stemming from the government's censorship of a movie about her) and calls it a gift to the Koch brothers. The Koch brothers don't benefit from that ruling, they're rich enough that they don't have to pool money with other like-minded persons to get their voice heard. The law struck down in the CU case was designed to stifle the political speech of ordinary people while those of the political parties and the super rich were unimpeded, it was insidious. That should have been an easy 9-0 decision by the court, yet 4 liberal justices thought there was no issue with the government censoring political speech prior to an election. That truly scares the heck out of me, and I shudder to think of Hillary or Bernie appointing anyone to the court.

• 4 weeks later...

Panel opinion and mandate vacated for rehearing en banc. This per curiam (unpublished) order was just issued. Oddly it does not mention vacating the panel opinion and mandate but FRAP states that the original panel opinion goes out the window when en banc is granted.

"A majority of judges in regular active service and not disqualified having voted in a requested poll of the court to grant Appellees’ petition for rehearing en banc, IT IS ORDERED that rehearing en banc is granted.

The parties and amici curiae shall file, within 10 days of the date of this order, 16 additional paper copies of their bries and appendices filed under the original briefing schedule. En banc oral argument of this case is scheduled for Wednesday, May 11, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. in Richmond, Virginia."

You can bet that the three knuckleheads on the Woollard panel (Judges King, Davis and Diaz, the last two unable to think for themselves in Woollard so they had King do their work for them) voted to rehear the case. King dissented in Kolbe. MD probably didn't even need to petition for rehearing en banc.

The only real exception to that (that I can recall) is Moore. And I think that was because of Posner's colleagues being scared of him haha. That or a solid pro-gun majority. This is a significant departure from stare decisis (intermediate scrutiny has always been applied until Tyler and Kolbe) and is a constitutional issue, so...yeah. Plus all of those CA4 Judges like Davis and Diaz are so incompetent and play follow the leader, it's sad.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

The only real exception to that (that I can recall) is Moore. And I think that was because of Posner's colleagues being scared of him haha. That or a solid pro-gun majority. This is a significant departure from stare decisis (intermediate scrutiny has always been applied until Tyler and Kolbe) and is a constitutional issue, so...yeah. Plus all of those CA4 Judges like Davis and Diaz are so incompetent and play follow the leader, it's sad. Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Speaking of Posner, if Obama had spine, he'd nominate him for the SCOTUS. Even though Posner said he doesn't want to be on it, he's by far the best person to serve in that capacity. Everyone on the court would have to suck it and would not have any ability to disagree with his opinions. Posner is a judicial juggernaut.

Nine of the judges are Clinton or Obama nominees. Including Chief Judge Traxler who delivered the majority opinion. Six of the judges are Reagan, Bush I and II nominees. Obama has the most active circuit judges out of any one President, five. Even more liberal judges such as Davis, who had no idea what to do with Woollard (try doing your job?) along with Carter nominees and older Clinton, Bush, Reagan nominees are senior status so thank God only active judges are eligible to vote and hear the case or we'd really be screwed. None of the judges who are senior status are eligible to vote or sit on the en banc panel because none of them served on the original panel. FRAP Rule 35 governs en banc procedure. Call me an optimist but Traxler delivered a rock solid opinion that will be tough to undermine. Then again King, Diaz, and Davis found a way to undermine the Constitution in Woollard, even if it was a load of horse manure.

I would really like to see CA6 come back with an affirmation of the panel opinion in Tyler, or reversal of district court, same thing. That would be guiding.

Oh, and Posner may hate guns but he respects the Constitution (see his opinion in the recent case involving the Indiana texting and driving law, guy got pulled over because a cop "thought" he was texting since it's legal to do everything but text while driving, searched the vehicle and found a few lbs of heroin in the car, turns out guy wasn't texting so the panel tossed the traffic stop and the fruits of the tree) so there's no way Obama would put a man like Posner on the SCOTUS bench. It would be ironic if he were to replace Scalia, but he's 77 or almost 77 years old.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The only real exception to that (that I can recall) is Moore. And I think that was because of Posner's colleagues being scared of him haha. That or a solid pro-gun majority. This is a significant departure from stare decisis (intermediate scrutiny has always been applied until Tyler and Kolbe) and is a constitutional issue, so...yeah. Plus all of those CA4 Judges like Davis and Diaz are so incompetent and play follow the leader, it's sad. Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

CA7 simply is a much favorable court, maybe not pro-gun, but at least pro-precedent and not packed with idealogues like CA2,3,4, and 9. Moore was one vote away though.En banc is supposed to be rare, so rare that in some circuits you have a better chance of your case getting to SCOTUS than en banc. But yet it seems every victory we get is taken away because the liberals will not stand for ANY expansion of gun rights.

In this case I think the panel was following precedent, simply because the majority was the same majority who created the precedent! See US v. Chester. They said intermediate scrutiny was proper for a criminal defendant, not a law abiding citizen.

Now, I'm afraid we'll see them reverse and say that CA4 needs to follow other circuits because AW are not handguns, so they'll get relegated to intermediate scrutiny and we therefore lose.

But yet it seems every victory we get is taken away because the liberals will not stand for ANY expansion of gun rights.

What's scary aren't the politicians, but the millions of citizens across the country that want to prevent people from exercising their rights. They don't like the idea that their neighbors can easily own and carry firearms and would like to stop that, so they vote for politicians who support their goals. It's scary to think that the person sitting next to you on the bus might recoil in horror if you revealed yourself to be a gun owner.

Archived