IDPA: What are you guys using?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ScottFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

For those that are shooting IDPA, what pistol are you using? 

Just curious. 

--

Beer, it's the reason I get out of bed every afternoon!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

#2 PeepSight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

ScottFM-

I use a stock Glock 19 or 17 with aftermarket sights (Dawson Precision fiber optic front/black rear sight).

The rest of the rig is a Blade Tech OWB holster, Blade Tech mag holders on a 5.11 Operator 1.75" belt.  

#3 carry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:52 PM

Fishing vest with no less than 6 pockets.

#4 Windermere

Bacon Junkie

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:09 PM

Glock 19 bone stock except for Wilson combat sights
"Always remember, your ability to shoot and have a firearm makes it so that you are not subjected to the whims of other people without your permission. So, in other words, if you don't want to get raped, robbed, pillaged, or plundered... get a gun."
-Clint Smith

#5 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:36 AM

S&W625JM, the Jerry Miculek model .45acp with moon clips.  I made a couple changes, front sight is high-viz green dot by SDM and I changed out the JM grips for Hogue Bantam grips in Cocobolo wood.  I use either a Mitch Rosen OWB belt holster or a Cabo IWB both are leather.  California Competition Works moon clip holders and Load/Unload tool and a homemade demooner tool.

Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#6 bmyers

• 4,124 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:55 AM

Glock 19, Trijicon sights. 

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#7 3ddiver

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:47 AM

Springfield EMP4 or XDs depending on the day.

#8 ScottFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Wow really interesting. I actually just sold my Glock 19, well traded it in on a new carry gun, P365 SAS. I was thinking of the Glock 17 or the CZ for IDPA, perhaps I should have kept the 19? Too late now. 

Does anyone use an optic or is everything really just done with regular or fiber optic sights for that type of competition? 

--

Beer, it's the reason I get out of bed every afternoon!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

#9 spu69

Firearm and Motorcycle Enthusiast

• 1,126 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

Glock 34 with dawson fiber front and darked out rear sight and zev trigger.  Sometimes M&P 9 full size with same sight setup with apex trigger.  ESP for both.

#10 jagt48

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

I've used a G34, P220 a few times, and will likely shoot my next match with a P320 Compact.

#11 brianj - now in Kansas

Political refugee from the People's Republic of IL

• Members
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

More than anything else recently, I've been taking my Sig P320 Compact.  I will occasionally take my P365, and very occasionally take one of my 1911's.

Also in the running (even though I don't think I've taken either of them in more than a year) are my VP9 and PPQ M2.

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#12 brianj - now in Kansas

• Members
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

Wow really interesting. I actually just sold my Glock 19, well traded it in on a new carry gun, P365 SAS. I was thinking of the Glock 17 or the CZ for IDPA, perhaps I should have kept the 19? Too late now. 

Does anyone use an optic or is everything really just done with regular or fiber optic sights for that type of competition? 

Theoretically, they're coming up with a separate division for optics.  I haven't checked the rules yet to see if it's official.  Other than that division, optics are illegal AFAIK.

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#13 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:45 AM

Theoretically, they're coming up with a separate division for optics.  I haven't checked the rules yet to see if it's official.  Other than that division, optics are illegal AFAIK.

Bri

I do pretty much all my shooting in Indiana and those two clubs run an optics class.  I may be wrong but I think the optics division is now legal but a club does not have to run it. I will find out for sure and get back.   Jim.

Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#14 DD123

Freedom Lover

• 9,170 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

This is one sport I never found an interest in, mainly because I shoot USPSA and 3 gun and during the summer I can fill up almost every Sunday with a match.  Both of those sports are very high round count whereas from what I've seen at IDPA matches, the round count is very low in comparison.  

If I were to get into it, I'd imagine myself using my VP9 SK.  

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#15 mrmagloo

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

I haven't been involved in years, but I used a modified 1911 and then towards the end, I tried a warmed up XDM 5.25 that I was never really happy with.

#16 PeepSight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

There is an optics class now.

https://www.idpa.com...icial_Rules.pdf

I don't run an optic on my EDC pistol so I don't run one for any comps.

#17 brianj - now in Kansas

• Members
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

I guess our club's a little behind the times.  To be honest, it isn't that big.

Bri

#18 PeepSight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Wow really interesting. I actually just sold my Glock 19, well traded it in on a new carry gun, P365 SAS. 

Don't worry about guns you don't have any longer. Bring the 365, see how it fits into the box and class yourself accordingly. Have fun, Brother.  :D

#19 kster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

Canik P120  basically CZ SP01 clone.   my CZ Compact is my backup.    already had to use it once. 

#20 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:32 AM

Is anyone shooting idpa at ontarget in crystal lake i would like to try it but would like to watch it first

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#21 RacerDave6

• 3,489 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

Run whatever you have to start with. Once you decide it's something you want to do regularly then you can start upgrading equipment. Ok
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#22 r4ndy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:13 PM