IL GOP Party Platform - Endorses Second Amendment and Right to Carry

Molly B.

Too many Republican office holders and candidates do not seem to understand that the IL GOP party platform includes a very strong support of the Second Amendment and the right of law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed firearm.

Let's make sure all Republican office holders and candidates are clearly educated about the party they represent! Print copies of the attached flyer and distribute them to all anti-Second Amendment IL Republican office holders and everywhere an IL anti-Second Amendment Republican candidate makes an appearance.

Molly B.

GOP_Platform_flyer.doc

Isn't the new head of the GOP anti-gun?

I'm not sure, but here is what his website says (as if we can trust what politicians say on their websites):

http://www.ilsenate.com/issues.asp?ID=4

Gun Control - His reported position on gun rights is that he would close the gun show loophole, but that the emphasis should be on enforcing laws already in place.

Edit: This is for Andy McKenna, not Steele.

In an October 16, 2006 Washington Post interview, Steele was asked “Should people have access to buy assault weapons?” Steele’s response:

“Society should draw lines. What do you need an assault weapon for, if you’re going hunting? That’s overkill. But I don’t think that means you go to a total ban for those who want to use gun for skeet shooting or hunting or things like that” (emphasis added)

When asked his general views on gun control, Steele stated:

“I grew up under some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. You can have all the gun control laws in the country, but if you don’t enforce them, people are going to find a way to protect themselves. We need to recognize that bad people are doing bad things with these weapons. It’s not the law-abiding citizens, it’s not the person who uses it as a hobby.”

I just sent a note to Andy McKenna who is the Illinois GOP Chairman.

Let's see if I get an answer.

You probably won't. I never have. I have a better answer as to why from my GOP county Chairman, but I won't post it in the open.

Isn't the new head of the GOP anti-gun?

Different issue. We're talking about the IL GOP platform and it's relation to Kirk.

Archived