Illinois FOID card as valid ID?

Howard Roark

I just received my FOID card, renewed by the State of Illinois. I've read that the FOID was not considered as a valid state issued ID because in prior years, the photo was supplied by the registrant. My new FOID has the same photo taken by the IL Department of Revenue for my driver license. They did not use the photo I sent with my renewal FOID registration and they did not use the photo from my FOID that expires next month.

It seems to reason that new FOID cards should be accepted everywhere as a valid IL state issued id. Is it?

I sorta prefer to show the FOID instead of a driver license because it helps get ordinary people that don't know any better used to the idea that ordinary people have guns.

About 6 months ago, I lost my driver's license and did not feel it necessary to visit the DMV for about a month (I don't often have a need to drive) to replace it. During that time, I successfully used my FOID to buy alcohol. I live in Evanston (bastion of Marxist thought), and got more than a few strange looks at the local Whole Foods while buying beer/wine. I'm sure that my polite and respectful demeanour won over more than a few anti-gunners during that time. I knew many of these checkout workers before the DL was lost, so naturally they asked me about my FOID when it was all I could produce to prove my age.

The FOID is a state-issued identification card and shows your date of birth. Why wouldn't they recognize this ID as an official date of birth? If they don't, politely ask to speak with the manager. If the manager refuses to recognize it......well.....this simply won't happen if you handle yourself politely and with respect.

Sam

about a month ago, i was at my bank cashing a check. they were training a new girl and when i gave her my dl for id, she asked if i had another form of id to verify. i gave her my foid, my utah ccw permit, my utah ccw instructors card, and my florida ccw permit. the girl who was training her, who knows me said " don't piss him off, just cash the check "

boog

I just received my FOID card, renewed by the State of Illinois. I've read that the FOID was not considered as a valid state issued ID because in prior years, the photo was supplied by the registrant. My new FOID has the same photo taken by the IL Department of Revenue for my driver license. They did not use the photo I sent with my renewal FOID registration and they did not use the photo from my FOID that expires next month.

It seems to reason that new FOID cards should be accepted everywhere as a valid IL state issued id. Is it?

I sorta prefer to show the FOID instead of a driver license because it helps get ordinary people that don't know any better used to the idea that ordinary people have guns.

When the state tax collection agency now has to take your picture, the end is near.

another thing to add to the to do list.

The picture was taken from the digital DL. That was one of the things we did to avoid finger prints and other things to obtain a FOID a few years ago. We used it to blunt other things, as gang members where using their photo with someone elses info to obtain FOIDs.

And no, I don't know if they ever prosecuted any of them, but it was a easy, seemless and least intrusive way to verify idnentity. Remember at one point we were within 2 votes of having to apply at the police department with fingerprints to obtain a FOID.

Short explination of how we got it.

They used the photo my wife supplied instead of the one on her DL. p***** her off because she really likes her latest DL photo.

I used my FOID once at the voting booth in Chicago. No questions asked. I think despite the photo issue, it also revolves around the fact that they don't actually hand you the ID like they do a DL.

They used the photo my wife supplied instead of the one on her DL. p***** her off because she really likes her latest DL photo.

I used my FOID once at the voting booth in Chicago. No questions asked. I think despite the photo issue, it also revolves around the fact that they don't actually hand you the ID like they do a DL.

Is a passport accepted, that is mailed to you, correct?

I really have to start using my Utah LTC for an ID, just for fun, when I'm asked.

another thing to add to the to do list.

The picture was taken from the digital DL. That was one of the things we did to avoid finger prints and other things to obtain a FOID a few years ago. We used it to blunt other things, as gang members where using their photo with someone elses info to obtain FOIDs.

And no, I don't know if they ever prosecuted any of them, but it was a easy, seemless and least intrusive way to verify idnentity. Remember at one point we were within 2 votes of having to apply at the police department with fingerprints to obtain a FOID.

Short explination of how we got it.

Not that I'm trying to make the system even more messed up. But I just renewed my DL on line awhile back. Thinking about it My DMV picture of record is quite possibly over 8 years old now without a new picture being taken. Fortunately for accuracy I still have a full head of hair and started going grey in high school so all the line data on the DL is accurate. Meaning I'm not bald and am grey !

I do have an old FOID somewhere when I got a renewal on a spur of the moment thought while at a gun show. Where a guy would do your renewal / picture / notary stamp in one shot..... But It was winter, and I had a Grizzly Addams thing going. Long hair and unshaven. The picture made me look like Charles Manison. I still remember some of the comments from FFL's when filling out a 4473. Yup bad hair day.

When I got my FOID card I decided to test out airport security with it. I presented my ticket and my FOID card as ID at Ohare and not a word was said. I was on my way to Vegas for a conference. On my return I again presented the FOID card as id. Again no problem. My conclusion...

With 50 states DL and many states have a state ID there are 100 types of ID. Add to that passports from however many countries and then add FOID to the mix as well as God know's how many ID's are acceptible. My conclusion is that I could have used a high school or homemade ID card as long as it had some official looking stuff on it. TSA can not possibly tell a fake ID.

A year ago, I received a safe driving award (ticket), and had to post my DL as bond. Went to buy cigarettes and the cashier refused to honor my FOID as valid ID. I didn't have my Utah CCW permit at that time, so didn't get a chance to try that.

I was able to buy beer at the local store with my ticket and my FOID - he wanted to see both.

tdiller,

TSA does not care what the ID is as long as it has the minimum requirements and state or federal issued:TSA Ident Requirements

I have checked a firearm not realizing I did not have my DL, State ID, or my Passport and TSA let me going through the check point with just my FOID. They did ask for a second form of picture ID, I showed them my bank card (BofA).

tdiller,

TSA does not care what the ID is as long as it has the minimum requirements and state or federal issued:TSA Ident Requirements

I have checked a firearm not realizing I did not have my DL, State ID, or my Passport and TSA let me going through the check point with just my FOID. They did ask for a second form of picture ID, I showed them my bank card (BofA).

Asked to see my drivers license when using a credit/debit card, I flipped open my wallet. I had just swithched to a new wallet and my Fl ccw was in the window of the wallet, the lady looked compared and it went on. Later I looked and realized I had my permit there rather then my license. She didn't notice nor did I at the time. Sometimes I think they just go through the motions due to illegals here using all sorts of id's, an old greybeard doesn't draw attention.

Shakes head at the stupidity of foid cards. ie. You can go to jail for not having a foid car and a gun, if you are driving without a license as many illegal so you go free. Yet I have been told before, NO a foid card is not acceptable Id. Just boggles the minds at time.

Yeah. FOID? It's no good.

Because the opposition uses incrementalism to drip-drip-drip away and constrict our rights, every form of infringement must be resisted. If the opposition actually believed that the Second Amendment means what it says, that we'd have a very very different climate between the gun owners and the errrrrr, prohibitionists. The true colors of tom@IHCV are well known: his goal is elimination of guns for civilians. But rather than directly work for amending the US Constitution to repeal the 2nd Amendment, he tries every other trick in the book to achieve the same end. Clearly old Thomas seeks to circumvent the Constitution rather than work within the system. He is the true anarchist and insurrectionist. As for the rest of us? We're just following the law.

How To Amend The US Constitution

The Amendment Process

There are essentially two ways spelled out in the Constitution for how to propose an amendment. One has never been used.

The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for the bill to be approved as an amendment (for example, see the 21st and 22nd).

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.

Regardless of which of the two proposal routes is taken, the amendment must be ratified, or approved, by three-fourths of states. There are two ways to do this, too. The text of the amendment may specify whether the bill must be passed by the state legislatures or by a state convention. See the Ratification Convention Page for a discussion of the make up of a convention. Amendments are sent to the legislatures of the states by default. Only one amendment, the 21st, specified a convention. In any case, passage by the legislature or convention is by simple majority.

The Constitution, then, spells out four paths for an amendment:

* Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state conventions (never used)

* Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state legislatures (never used)

* Proposal by Congress, ratification by state conventions (used once)

* Proposal by Congress, ratification by state legislatures (used all other times)

Hey Tom@IHCV,

It takes 3/4 of the States to change the US Constitution to repeal the 2nd Amendment. But 3/5 of the states have signed the recommendation to the Supreme Court to force not only your Chicago, but all the states to follow and respect the 2nd Amendment.

dude, you have already lost!

P.S. I just posted in the wrong thread! :rolleyes:

tdiller,

I travel by air almost weekly, and only once have I had a TSA ask for another form of ID, and this was back with the old style FOID. I asked why he didn't accept the FOID when it's a state issued ID? He said he needed a driver's license. So I gave him my passport and mentioned the fact that it doesn't even contain my state of residence, but only that I was born in Wisconsin in 1965.. Of course that was fine.. (idiots)

I show my FOID to TSA twice a week (once leaving, once coming home) and am looking forward to them asking for another form.. Utah CCW permit is right under my FOID.. :tongue:

I show my Florida LTC whenever possible, it's a good educational opportunity.

My wallet is a bi-fold, with flip up pockets for ID, my ILL DL in one side, the Fl LTC in the other, and it's kind of fun to watch the cashier or whoever is viewing it switch their eyes from one to the other....and occasionally, one of them catches the meaning of the LTC. I've been asked more than once if I'm a Federal agent or cop or even a P.I.

Standard answer: "Nope, I'm just a plain citizen that can carry a loaded gun in 28+ states with this."

As far as the FOID for ID, it's always been hit or miss around here. Just depends on the cashier's or bank teller's mood at the time, I believe. Doesn't work for crap at the DMV, oddly enough.

tdiller,

I travel by air almost weekly, and only once have I had a TSA ask for another form of ID, and this was back with the old style FOID. I asked why he didn't accept the FOID when it's a state issued ID? He said he needed a driver's license. So I gave him my passport and mentioned the fact that it doesn't even contain my state of residence, but only that I was born in Wisconsin in 1965.. Of course that was fine.. (idiots)

I show my FOID to TSA twice a week (once leaving, once coming home) and am looking forward to them asking for another form.. Utah CCW permit is right under my FOID.. :thumbsup:

Respect and thanks. You Sir, are a Patriot! Challenge the system !!

Archived