Illinois concealed-carry proposal will resurface in Legislature

oneshot

Peoria Journal Star

PEORIA —

While Saturday's violence in Arizona spurred calls for stricter gun control nationwide, the biggest influence on the gun debate in Illinois continues to be focused on regional politics.

Namely, Chicago versus downstate and the political standoff between pro-gun and anti-gun groups over a concealed-carry law.

With the 97th General Assembly officially sworn in, new concealed-carry legislation could be introduced as early as Thursday, according to the executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association.

But will new faces change anything? Since 1995, concealed-carry proposals have been introduced but have not progressed far through the legislative process.

"Until you convince Chicago that this is something that will not cause the sky to fall, that you know of, it will be a political stalemate," state Sen. Dave Koehler, D-Peoria, and a supporter of concealed-carry, said Wednesday. "Nonetheless, a bill will be put forth this year."

State Sen. Dale Risinger, R-Peoria, said the November general elections didn't bring enough change to make a concealed-carry law likely. Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two states without any kind of concealed-carry law.

"We don't have enough votes downstate to carry that," Risinger said.

Richard Pearson, the director of the ISRA, said pro-gun groups will consolidate their efforts and push for one concealed-carry bill this session, unlike multiple concealed carry measures in previous years. He said the new legislation will be sponsored by state Rep. Brandon Phelps, a southern Illinois Democrat.

"We're going to make every effort to get a vote on concealed-carry this year," Pearson said. "Every year, we get a little closer."

The city of Peoria garnered some attention in 2009, when Mayor Jim Ardis said the city could serve as a test location for a statewide concealed-carry law. Legal concerns were among reasons the Peoria proposal was halted last year.

Pearson also doesn't believe the violence in Tuscon, Ariz., in which a shooter killed six people and injured 14 others, will affect concealed-carry legislation in Illinois.

Risinger said it might have some effect.

Koehler believes the Tucson shootings will put more of a spotlight on mental illness than gun control.

"The real issue is we have sick people out there with serious mental-health issues," he said. "We have a lot of work to do in terms of creating better services and a better safety net in mental services."

Mark Walsh, campaign director with the Illinois Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a project under the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, believes the violence in Arizona - where gun laws are considerably less restrictive than in other states - will affect discussion in Illinois.

"The one argument before Arizona was if there was concealed-carry allowed, someone would be there to stop someone (shooting) like the incident in Arizona," Walsh said. "That wasn't the case at all. It was stopped because of a gun jam. People were close by who were able to tackle him."

John Sharp can be reached at 686-3282 or jsharp@pjstar.com.

Copyright 2011 pjstar.com. Some rights reserved

While I am still hopeful that RTC will come (this year) through the legislature, I'm not going to hold my breath. The good news is, even without a (direct) carry case (as of yet) filed in IL or the 7th Circuit, there are already multiple cases filed across the country.

It's also going to be interesting to watch WI pass a RTC bill, and possible even go 'constitutional,' this year. Hopefully this (WI passing RTC) happens sooner, rather than later in the legislative session as it would be nice to point to EVERY SURROUNDING STATE ALLOWING FOR RTC.

It will be even more interesting waiting to see what/if anything happens regarding another try for the Thune Amendment. Speculation seems to be that it will be reintroduced early this year (March perhaps) and attached to 'must sign' legislation raising the debt ceiling.

With both of these happening, and perhaps also a positive carry ruling coming from a Federal Circuit, I would imagine a bill would at least make it to the ILGA floor for a debate. Honestly, if there is no debate this year, in spite of Heller, McDonald, and a majority of States allowing for (shall issue) RTC, it should more than be clear it's time to 'shut up' the talk and 'put up' the suit. Lisa Madigan would be a very good target for a suit modeled after the SAF/Gura NJ filing.

Other than that I'll continue to hound my reps, get read for IGOLD (have you printed your flyers? You can print them to an OfficeMax, FedEx store, ect... for around $0.10 a copy. Keep them in your car with some tape and tacks. That way as you go places and see message boards you can grab one and put it up!), and keep talking to people about RTC. Just recently my wife, who had previously shown no interest what so ever in firearms or RTC (although she did go with me to IGOLD last year :) ) has become very interested in firearms, is getting her very own handgun, and is also thinking about getting an OOS carry permit for when we travel.

guys and gals

Some of the legislators that commented are looking at the small picture. they have not beeen involved in all the talks and working on the bill.

I can tell you that just from this week, I am more optimistic about the coming session than I ever have been.

Thanks for the insight, Todd. I can probably speak for more than a few here, in that we are anxious to get our hands dirty and try to get this thing done. Keep us posted.

guys and gals

Some of the legislators that commented are looking at the small picture. they have not beeen involved in all the talks and working on the bill.

I can tell you that just from this week, I am more optimistic about the coming session than I ever have been.

Todd,

Has the Heller/Mcdonald revelation of keep and carry for self defense as a fudamental right had a significant impact on the opopsition? And has it yanked the fence sitters off onto the proper side?

/

guys and gals

Todd,

Has the Heller/Mcdonald revelation of keep and carry for self defense as a fudamental right had a significant impact on the opopsition? And has it yanked the fence sitters off onto the proper side?

/

Guys --

don't pay any attention to the bills filed for content. They are not the final form. We have kept the final form out of public relms for tacttical advantages. the other side will get it at the last minute after we have concluded working on it. All the RTC bills filed are good for is a bill number.

Several newly elected legislatos made a promise to introduce a RTC bill. staff asked me what they could do and I pointed them to HB-462. I'm sure they had seen other versions and grabbed one to copy, draft and file.

memberws of this forum have spent months working on a revised bill. there has been give and take. there has been a lot of thought going into it. it will be very different in some respects from the bills filed in the past.

So please, don't waste your time harping about any of the carry bills filed for their content. Because it is not the langugue we will begin with much less finish with.

PEORIA —

Namely, Chicago versus downstate and the political standoff between pro-gun and anti-gun groups over a concealed-carry law.

"Until you convince Chicago that this is something that will not cause the sky to fall,

I have no problem seeing a clause put into a CC Bill for Chicago to opt out. When the citizens of Chicago decide they too need to defend themselves, they will vote out the slave masters and re=join the state.

guys and gals

Todd,

Should we read anything into the fact that the preemption bills were referred to the Rules Committee?

What ever is in the final bill please include the RTC on public transit. Not being able to carry on Metra would mean I would not be able to carry to and from work.

Please realize that the first RTC bill we get in Illinois may not be the perfect bill in all aspects.

I don't think that any state that has specific RTC legislation got it right in one fell swoop.

PEORIA —

"Until you convince Chicago that this is something that will not cause the sky to fall,

I have no problem seeing a clause put into a CC Bill for Chicago to opt out. When the citizens of Chicago decide they too need to defend themselves, they will vote out the slave masters and re=join the state.

A Chicago opt out isn't very likely to happen and I for one am going to enjoy watching them rant, rave and foam at the mouth when they're included. :)

Todd, as much as I appreciate the work you & others do for this cause, I just truely believe that as long as Mike Madigan and John Cullerton are in charge, they will never let a carry bill hit the floor. They will continue to use their power to move the bills to unfriendly committees, and even if they pass through those, they'll never call them for a floor vote.

I think the issue will have to be forced through the courts and even then, they'll fight us.

Sorry.

FF - all bills go to Rules Committee after being introduced - they are then assigned to a specific

committee for hearing.

It's too early to get behind any one bill. Some are being filed, like Todd said, as place holders.

We'll watch them all but I feel confident that IllinoisCarry, the ISRA, and the NRA will be able to

join efforts and concentrate on the best bill of the bunch - which is the one we are working on jointly.

PEORIA —

As easy as it is to take the "sucks to be them" path I don't think that that would be a good idea. Letting Chicago opt out as part of the bill could turn into letting any other city or village in IL having the option. That's not good for anyone.

On the other hand it is tempting to include that so that the rest of the state can enjoy CC (assuming such a clause would make a difference). But, at the same time it's not fair to the citizens of Chicago that do want it. Eh, I don't know. ;)

Municipalities can not 'opt out' of allowing a fundamental right just as much as citizens cannot opt out of paying taxes to them. It will quickly become no compromise, no deals the longer the other side wants to drag it out. The handwriting is on the wall (see DiGiacinto v. Rector). heck or high water, RTC is coming this year by legislation or in the next 2-3 years via the courts.

I had brunch with my county sheriff this morning and brought him up to date from the updates I've read on this website. He hasn't changed his stance on RTC and welcomes it whenever it comes about.

The Bill needs a provision that allows cities (like Chicago) to opt out. Is it perfect? No, but it's a step

in the door that we desperately need if we want success. It needs an opt out provision and also protections

for CCW holders that do 'accidentally' carry into a restricted town (in which instance, they pay a small fine

for a violation). I'm not a fan of having a bunch of un-uniformed CCW laws across the board state-wide,

but for the time-being, we need to focus on getting a step in the door, end of story.

The Bill needs a provision that allows cities (like Chicago) to opt out.

If it was more likely to be signed by Quinn, I'd be more inclined to agree (if it made it a non-criminal offense for a licensed individual to carry in an opted-out area).

But I don't think we've seen any indication of this. I think all signs point to him vetoing ANY and ALL carry bills that cross his desk.

The Bill needs a provision that allows cities (like Chicago) to opt out.

If it was more likely to be signed by Quinn, I'd be more inclined to agree (if it made it a non-criminal offense for a licensed individual to carry in an opted-out area).

But I don't think we've seen any indication of this. I think all signs point to him vetoing ANY and ALL carry bills that cross his desk.

Perhaps not.

Illinois may be running out of time and Quinn will have to make a choice. Does he want some say in what Illinois has in a carry law or let the highest court in the land decide for him. Since the Heller and McDonald decisions, Quinn will now be playing a game of chicken with the Supreme Court. Who do you think will flinch first?

Archived