Prohibited Carry Zones - 23 Categories

Molly B.

• 5 months later...

any restrictions at starved rock state park?

Per law, the buildings are posted.

The law says nothing about state parks.

Not the park, the buildings. I think it's #3... Whichever one they use to justify posting Illinois rest areas... The buildings are definitely posted though, as well as the fenced in outdoor deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the Duquoin state fair grounds fall under #5 as a CPZ ? ( state controled)

From a 2017 news article

http://www.wfgazette.com/news/illinois-state-police-stepping-up-security-at-duquoin-state-fair/article_079e5576-8818-11e7-922f-efb29ec5b2b5.html

"Fair attendees are reminded, under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, Illinois law prohibits concealed carry license holders from possessing a firearm on any DuQuoin State Fairgrounds property to include the parking lots. Violators will be subject to arrest and fines in accordance with the Firearms Concealed Carry Act. For additional information please read the Act from the Illinois General Assembly’s website: http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39 or visit the Firearm’s tab of the ISP’s home page located at http://www.isp.state.il.us/ for an FAQ section."

I find it interesting how many places state that you can't have a firearm in your vehicle. Watching the training video for a local refinery and they started in the video that Illinois carry law doesn't apply there ABC's you are not allowed to store a firearm in your vehicle.

Does the Duquoin state fair grounds fall under #5 as a CPZ ? ( state controled)

From a 2017 news article

http://www.wfgazette.com/news/illinois-state-police-stepping-up-security-at-duquoin-state-fair/article_079e5576-8818-11e7-922f-efb29ec5b2b5.html

"Fair attendees are reminded, under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, Illinois law prohibits concealed carry license holders from possessing a firearm on any DuQuoin State Fairgrounds property to include the parking lots. Violators will be subject to arrest and fines in accordance with the Firearms Concealed Carry Act. For additional information please read the Act from the Illinois General Assembly’s website: http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39 or visit the Firearm’s tab of the ISP’s home page located at http://www.isp.state.il.us/ for an FAQ section."

From the ISPFSB FAQ

Can a business prohibit a weapon from being secured inside a locked vehicle while the vehicle is parked in a business parking lot?

It does not appear that even a private property owner can do so given the parking lot safe haven provision.

What is the parking lot exemption for CCL holders in prohibited places?

Any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicles trunk. This exception does not apply to any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or to property regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

... which I believe applies to county fairgrounds as well.

There are many incorrect statements regarding parking lots in spite of the safe harbor provision. Seen it regarding Metra station lots, shopping malls, etc. Other than Federal facilities, Post Office, etc dont think they can prohibit in the lots. Edited by InterestedBystander

My understanding was that you could carry in a parking lot even if it's posted as long as you're in close proximity to your vehicle for the purpose of securing it in the trunk for example.

For the purpose of securing in the trunk is the *only* reason you can step out of the car in a prohibited zone while carrying.

Personally, I secure in the main vehicle compartment, in a security box secured to the frame of the car - but that’s just me.

There are many incorrect statements regarding parking lots in spite of the safe harbor provision. Seen it regarding Metra station lots, shopping malls, etc. Other than Federal facilities, Post Office, etc dont think they can prohibit in the lots.

Private owners can prohibit all they want.

While not ILLEGAL to carry/store in your car a private lot owner can certainly prohibit carry/store in your car, and if discovered, refuse you entry to their lot.

They cannot, however, have you arrested for carry/store in your car.

They can, however, probably have you arrested for trespass if you refuse to leave.

There are many incorrect statements regarding parking lots in spite of the safe harbor provision. Seen it regarding Metra station lots, shopping malls, etc. Other than Federal facilities, Post Office, etc dont think they can prohibit in the lots.

Private owners can prohibit all they want.

While not ILLEGAL to carry/store in your car a private lot owner can certainly prohibit carry/store in your car, and if discovered, refuse you entry to their lot.

They cannot, however, have you arrested for carry/store in your car.

They can, however, probably have you arrested for trespass if you refuse to leave.

At least it is not enforceable without the power to search. Any owner of properties open to the general public that starts searching vehicles will suffer a significant backlash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
So I can ccw on a bike trail or a forest preserve path as long as it’s NOT in Cook County?
You can CCW anywhere in a forest preserve so long as it is not Cook County Forest Preserve District. Need not be on a path.

Within Cook Coumty Forest Preserves, one could argue that the bike paths are public right of way, and therefore you can carry on the paths. But beware, this has not been tested, and you know how much opinions are worth...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Im sorry if this is a rookie question, but I just want to be sure Im following the law. If I go to my kids school Im okay to ccw my gun as long as Im in my car. But I need to disarm(gun can still be loaded), and put my gun away, and then lock the car. It says case or glove box/console, but can I just put it in my work bag?

My kids school(McHenry West) has a sign posted at the entrance of the parking lot stating that this is a gun free campus(I feel safer already), and at first I thought they meant I cant have it in my car. But the law states that I can actually ccw as long as Im in my car, and even lets me ccw around my car as if I wanted to put my gun in the trunk. I think thats a terrible idea by the way. The last thing I want to do is draw the attention of one of these left wing activist teachers or some snowflake kid.

Thanks.

Edited by Chip74

Chip74 I believe you're okay to store the loaded gun in your car, as long as you lock the car so that the gun is locked inside. Your car is considerd an "other container", and the law specifically says you can store in a locked vehicle, as long as the gun is out of plain view. So just make sure you lock the car and keep it out of view. So in a glove box, console, bag, whatever. I.e. Don't just put it on the seat next to you where someone can see it, but common sense should tell you that's a terrible idea anyway.

"may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area."

Chip74 I believe you're okay to store the loaded gun in your car, as long as you lock the car so that the gun is locked inside. Your car is considerd an "other container", and the law specifically says you can store in a locked vehicle, as long as the gun is out of plain view. So just make sure you lock the car and keep it out of view. So in a glove box, console, bag, whatever. I.e. Don't just put it on the seat next to you where someone can see it, but common sense should tell you that's a terrible idea anyway.

"may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area."

Okay, thank you! So the sign at the entrance of the parking lot is meaningless then?

Yeah, I would never leave a gun out in the open like that. I don’t even want people to see me putting it in my bag, or even worse putting it on my person.

Okay, thank you! So the sign at the entrance of the parking lot is meaningless then?

Yeah, I would never leave a gun out in the open like that. I don’t even want people to see me putting it in my bag, or even worse putting it on my person.

It's not meaningless, but it doesn't mean what they most likely think it means. You can carry and store in your vehicle. Period. Full stop. You can carry in the immediate vicinity of your vehicle for the purpose of storing the gun in the trunk. Outside of that, you cannot carry anywhere on the premises. You cannot carry while walking your dog through the parking lot of the school. You cannot carry while getting out of the car to go have a conversation with one of the other parents in the parking lot.

FCCA specifically states that you can store in the glove compartment or console. Law states in a locked container inside the vehicle or in a container concealed from view inside a locked vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with the Chicago Premium Outlets shopping mall in Aurora? My job causes me to shop there fairly regularly and the entrance I use most of the time does not have a sign posted. Because of this I carried there for a couple of months. However I happened to enter at a different entry point and noticed a GFZ sticker on a pole. Seems though that any reasonable person could enter the mall and not ever see the sign as it isn't even posted at every entrance. I feel like if I was ever discovered carrying I could use the "I came in an entrance without a sticker" argument but it also seems like a test case that I don't want to be. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the mall?

430 ILCS 66/65. Prohibited areas.

(d) Signs stating that the carrying of firearms is prohibited shall be clearly and conspicuously posted at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property specified in this Section as a prohibited area, unless the building or premises is a private residence. Signs shall be of a uniform design as established by the Department and shall be 4 inches by 6 inches in size. The Department shall adopt rules for standardized signs to be used under this subsection.

If it's not posted conspicuously at the entrance, it doesn't have the force of law. Furthermore, if it's posted at some random place, it's entirely likely that the management didn't post it at all. Some random anti-gunner posted it in hopes that management wouldn't notice it and take it down.

• 1 month later...