22 lr alert !

tommyd78

I think the 22lr shortage is easing up. I picked up 3 1,000 round boxes of Winchester m22 from walmart in Bridgeview the weekend before last, then picked up 6 boxes of 225 round remington golden bullets from two other walmarts (Matteson and Crestwood) the following Tuesday. So that is 4,250 rounds of 22lr in the span of a few days.

I have noticed two things.

First, at least at the Walmarts I go to, the stuff doesn't get completely bought out within an hour of the store opening like it used to. I went to these Walmarts in mid afternoon. Even after making my purchase, for two of the 3 stores, there was still that same initial lot of 22lr their for a few days after I visited.

Second, Walmart seems to be restocking the 22lr more regularly. It seems to be on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Previously, my local Walmarts seemed to go months without 22lr. That was the primary reason why I bought the 3 1,000 boxes of m22 in one day. I didn't know when I would see it again. However, they restocked the following week.

I see 22lr on Internet sites sitting there because it's still at .17 - .22 cents per round. Not really giving it away but if you need it, it's there.

Going to an Appleseed soon so I should be stopping in my local Wally's to see whats on the shelf...

I think the 22lr shortage is easing up. I picked up 3 1,000 round boxes of Winchester m22 from walmart in Bridgeview the weekend before last, then picked up 6 boxes of 225 round remington golden bullets from two other walmarts (Matteson and Crestwood) the following Tuesday. So that is 4,250 rounds of 22lr in the span of a few days.

First, at least at the Walmarts I go to, the stuff doesn't get completely bought out within an hour of the store opening like it used to. I went to these Walmarts in mid afternoon. Even after making my purchase, for two of the 3 stores, there was still that same initial lot of 22lr their for a few days after I visited.

Second, Walmart seems to be restocking the 22lr more regularly. It seems to be on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Previously, my local Walmarts seemed to go months without 22lr. That was the primary reason why I bought the 3 1,000 boxes of m22 in one day. I didn't know when I would see it again. However, they restocked the following week.

No wonder I can't get any.

No wonder I can't get any.

Hahaha

There was 22lr ammo still there after making my purchase. :phone: In one of the stores, she had 2 unopened CASES of 22lr remington golden bullet. Each case had 10 boxes. The woman working the counter wasn't experienced and offered to let me buy as much as I wanted. I just took the standard 3 boxes and went to another store for another 3.

One thing that I will say is that the days of being able to walk into walmart ANYTIME you want and finding 22lr there are probably over (at least for a while). While for most of you, that was normal, I didn't get my first firearm until earlier this year. So for me, the shortage is normal. It is just something that you stock up on when they are available. It took me months to find ammo for my first firearm (I refused to pay the jacked up prices some folks were selling for).

As it stands now, if I happened to be at walmart and they have 22lr, I'll pick it up. However, I don't have any reason to go out of my way to get more now.

4,250 rounds in a few days....no wonder no one else can find them.

If you truly just picked up your first firearm this year, then perhaps you don't understand that it is a sport for everyone.

We share ammo when someone is out. We trade and swap so people that aren't able to find things have what they need. We lend firearms to those that don't have access and we teach when those who don't know but are willing to learn ask.

I wouldn't brag about buying up that many rounds but just putting it like there was plenty for everyone else.

If you look back through this forum and others, you will see where people have been trying to find ammo just to take their kids out shooting for a weekend and others went out of their way to give/lend them ammo. There are still plenty of people that are searching for .22 so when you just keep gathering it up but "not going out of your way to get more now"....IMHO, you are keeping some from learning or enjoying the sport that you just found.

I guess its a generational thing. I learned that there is more than just me in this world.

We had the WW bulk pack at an NRA youth camp and better than 1/2 the guns had trouble with it. Switched to Federal or CCI and the guns ran fine. Same deal around here. My Model 41 will shoot it. So will my ancient Ruger Mark II. The rest of the guns have issues.

I'd look for something better unless you're really in a bind for ammo.

I ha e been finding 22 in 50 Rd boxes at fairly normal prices on average of about 3 boxes every 4 months I finally came across one bulk pack which is the first and only one I've seen in 2 yrs that has my total at 1200 rds. So I've finally let the kid start plinking but I ration it heavily .... 2 yrs ago with her and my 2 nephews 1200 rds wouldn't last a weekend I wish I could find bulk regularly like some of you guys

I need to take my daughter to an outside range.

I took my daughter to Article II, some guy was blasting away with a 44 magnum, another guy had some really loud semi auto - I was guessing it was a 10 mm but I don't know I couldn't see it really well. it didn't look like a Desert Eagle but I could be wrong.

After just 45 minutes of shooting she was more than ready to go home.

I just think the noise was a little much for her, kind of overwhelming and not so fun.

She'd have a lot more fun plinking outdoors.

24.99 hollow point copper plated.

That's around .05/round after tax. Is that a typical brick and mortar price now? I've been selling my 22LR bricks FTF for considerably more, and I've had no problem moving them. Granted, what I've sold were better than WWB, and my price has been cash and carry, but I'm surprised at the price you paid given the price people have been paying for mine.

That's around .05/round after tax. Is that a typical brick and mortar price now? I've been selling my 22LR bricks FTF for considerably more, and I've had no problem moving them. Granted, what I've sold were better than WWB, and my price has been cash and carry, but I'm surprised at the price you paid given the price people have been paying for mine.

And I am willing to bet that you paid less than $24.99 for the ones that you are selling to begin with.

Pathetic

And I am willing to bet that you paid less than $24.99 for the ones that you are selling to begin with.

Pathetic

Why is that pathetic? He can sell them for one million dollars if someone is willing to buy it. I sold a ton of .223 when it was crazy and made some money and every time the person was happy just to be able to get a hold of it.

I need to take my daughter to an outside range.

I took my daughter to Article II, some guy was blasting away with a 44 magnum, another guy had some really loud semi auto - I was guessing it was a 10 mm but I don't know I couldn't see it really well. it didn't look like a Desert Eagle but I could be wrong.

After just 45 minutes of shooting she was more than ready to go home.

I just think the noise was a little much for her, kind of overwhelming and not so fun.

She'd have a lot more fun plinking outdoors.

how old is your daughter Mine turns 8 next month and we shoot in the back yard. We live in clark co right off I-70 not sure how far you are willing to drive but if you are ever in the area we can set up a play date for the kids

"Why is that pathetic? He can sell them for one million dollars if someone is willing to buy it. I sold a ton of .223 when it was crazy and made some money and every time the person was happy just to be able to get a hold of it."

its not something to brag about on a gun forum where most are not camping out at the stores waiting to buy up a new shipment of 22`s just to resell them at a price gouging profit from those who work for a living and cant camp out at these stores. Is a shameful thing to do and imo takes a shameless attitude to think this is a ok thing to do to your fellow shooters.

this is the reason the shortage is as bad as it is. you buy this stuff from a scalper and your a idiot. your perpetuating the problem, let these scalpers choke on the ammo.

Pathetic

What I paid for the ammo I am selling is irrelevant, but if you must know - given your statement - the ammo is probably older than you. You do the math. Regardless, I paid what was then the going rate for ammo. Consider inflation, my costs to maintain or move it with me, market changes, etc., whatever my selling price, it is as relative to the market now as it was to the price I bought it so long as I remain in line with the market today. Hence the reason I asked about the OP's price - to determine is something had changed since I started selling my ammo.

"Why is that pathetic? He can sell them for one million dollars if someone is willing to buy it. I sold a ton of .223 when it was crazy and made some money and every time the person was happy just to be able to get a hold of it."

its not something to brag about on a gun forum where most are not camping out at the stores waiting to buy up a new shipment of 22`s just to resell them at a price gouging profit from those who work for a living and cant camp out at these stores. Is a shameful thing to do and imo takes a shameless attitude to think this is a ok thing to do to your fellow shooters.

this is the reason the shortage is as bad as it is. you buy this stuff from a scalper and your a idiot. your perpetuating the problem, let these scalpers choke on the ammo.

That's awfully presumptuous.

1. I never said at what price I have been selling my 22 ammo. I only said I was selling at a considerably higher price than what the OP indicated he paid. As it is, I used several bots on several occasions to determine the online price ranges for those sites that actually had any 22s, and targeted the lower end. My price is cash and carry. No taxes, no shipping, so in reality, my price is at or very near the lower end online, and the price checks I did locally when I first started selling it indicated I wasn't "gouging" anybody (never mind local prices were moot given there was never any ammo available locally). Given my ammo isn't low end ammo, and there was no local availability, I thought I was being quite fair considering my prices targeted the only available market - online. Anyway, since I wasn't aware of any significant change in availability or prices locally, I thought I'd ask if the price the OP paid was now typical - to be fair.

2. I never said I was camping out at the stores waiting on ammo shipments to come in. If I had been, I'd already know if the price the OP paid was typical or not, and there would be no reason for me to ask. The fact is, I've had this ammo for more than a couple of decades. I'm not denying anybody else their opportunity to purchase whatever they want, or wherever they want. In fact, I'm adding ammo to the market.

3. I never said I was hoarding ANY ammo. Again, I've had most of my ammo for decades, be it 22 or other. My "hoarding" took place when it didn't affect other buyers. Back then it was considered stockpiling. How the times have changed, huh?

4. I never said WHY I was selling my ammo (not that it should matter). Yes, I'm doing it for profit. Last time I checked that's not illegal, unethical, or immoral. The fact is, I took an extended sabbatical from my career to care for my parents, both of whom were struggling with their health. Both have since passed away, and I have no regrets whatsoever, despite the struggle I'm in currently. I hope I'm so lucky if and when I find myself in my parents' situation, but I'm trying to get back to my career. Unfortunately there are numerous biases in the job market for those who have extended employment gaps (called unemployment bias), or for those attempting to get more menial work when higher-end skill sets are presented in the mix (i.e. over qualified). I've been bleeding my cash sources for a little over 2 years, and relying on whatever low wage, temporary work I can find to offset the outflow, but that's only realized when I'm lucky enough to be first one in line applying, or a neighbor needs some work performed, or knows somebody who does. To bridge these gaps, and leapfrog back to my career, I'm trying to attain a couple of certifications to show my skill set is current. Unfortunately, certification studies, equipment, and testing doesn't come cheaply, and I can ill afford to pull from my regular sources to pay for them. Subsequently, I'm selling ammo I purchased long ago. No hoarding. No camping out at stores, no denying others, and insomuch as I can determine it, no gouging. That's why I asked about the OP's purchase price.

I might be an idiot, but if I am, I wouldn't know, would I? Pigs don't know pigs stink.

But I can tell you, I'm NOT perpetuating the shortage problem.

I dont know if that was the price they usually sell it at to be honest I just happened to see it in front of me locked in a case. Below it was a shelf full of other ammo. I could have taken more than one box but I dont shoot 22s much. 24.99 + tax. Glad I didnt get more cause of the bad report here on wwb ammo. I dont think I shot it before in my Marlin 60 has anybody tried it in this rifle? I see 22s online going for twice that. If it is crap guess thats why the low price.

I only said I was selling at a considerably higher price than what the OP indicated he paid.

In fact, I'm adding ammo to the market.

Yes, I'm doing it for profit....no gouging.

Those statements all look like the same things Democrats say when they say that a national background check is for our good. Nothing like contradicting your own statement in the same response.

As far as being presumptuous, you have no idea how old I am or what kind of background that I have.

Don't come on a forum and start running your yap about how much money you are making out of the wallets of the guys and gals that are working for a living. They are scrounging for some recreation and training and you are bragging about how saavy you are when it comes to making a profit. The boils my blood.

Its good that you did something for your parents but most of us would just take silent pride in doing the right thing. Don't try to deflect admonition by telling how you "honored thy father and mother". The World is full of people that have done things for others without so much as a thank you from the general population. That does not excuse them from

BTW, since you readily admit that you are selling at a profit, would you mind making sure that you report that as income? I'm sure that there a whole generation of people that will appreciate your contribution....it is the ones that now think that the rest of the population owes them something just because they took a breath irregardless of how much they already have.

BTW, since you readily admit that you are selling at a profit, would you mind making sure that you report that as income? I'm sure that there a whole generation of people that will appreciate your contribution....it is the ones that now think that the rest of the population owes them something just because they took a breath irregardless of how much they already have.

Since you've had that inventory for 20 years, make sure to report that income as capital gains.......same as Buffet! Low tax rate!

And what do we think are the chances that ANY of us would report this as income if we sold some old ammo......?

Archived