Amtrak Rules

Davidl1978

The family and I are taking Amtrak to Chicago for a Christmas trip. I called Amtrak to declare a firearm and I was told I couldn't, due to my departing station wasn't considered a "manned station." Any advice on legally transporting a firearm to Chicago without breaking the law? Can I FOID carry on Amtrak? Is there another legal way to transport a firearm? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

On Amtrak you cannot carry or transport a firearm in the passenger area. Federal law.

Firearms have to be in checked baggage, and not all routes have checked baggage service.

Several years ago I ran into the same problem as you. The route is probably a commuter route without baggage service.

They slipped a new federal law passed me?

Please cite statute?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it's actually federal law that prohibits firearms carriage aboard Amtrak trains. I think it's an Amtrak rule. Amtrak is a "quasi-governmental" agency or company. They believe their rules are federal law, they often seem to believe.

What was said above about checked baggage is true, but for example, Lincoln Service trains that run between St. Louis and Chicago are not checked-baggage trains. Therefore, no legal way to transport (or carry) on them.
We did a New Orleans trip last year, and I chose to use the prescribed Amtrak method of transporting my carry gun to the Crescent City. It was clunky and inconsistent, but it got done. The amusing, and stupid, moment came in the great hall of the New Orleans station at the check-in/ticket counter: one of the Amtrak ticket agents absolutely insisted he had to visually inspect the firearms and made me open the suitcase and then the locked Plano case to see inside. Absurd. Why would that be necessary? I'd already declared the presence of the firearms, which according to some (not all) Amtrak personnel and rules postings must be done in advance.

More absurdity: one telephone agent, after consulting with her supervisor, said that I had to check my guns in 24 hours in advance of departure! She couldn't explain how that was done or where the guns would be while I went back home for 22 hours- but I would have had to go downtown to Chicago Union Station, check the guns, and then return.

And of course, no other Amtrak employees we encountered knew of such a requirement.

The overall take we came away with: hardly anyone declares or checks guns in on Amtrak trains.

Do AMTRAK rules have the force of law?

In sum NO. But they can deny you from boarding or force you to exit at an unplanned location. In Illinois this is moot for carrying, but would still be a possible outcome under legal FOID transport. If you are foid carrying on your person, it is transporting not carrying, and is not checked baggage.

I would urge you to not travel Amtrak with a firearm at all. Whatever the law actually is they have their own police and will enforce what they think it is.

“Whatever the law actually is”, is what we are supposed to base our decisions on.

If the FCCA did not prohibit carry, I would carry on AMTRAK and take my chances I will not be harassed for lawful conduct.

I would urge you to not travel Amtrak with a firearm at all. Whatever the law actually is they have their own police and will enforce what they think it is.

“Whatever the law actually is”, is what we are supposed to base our decisions on.

If the FCCA did not prohibit carry, I would carry on AMTRAK and take my chances I will not be harassed for lawful conduct.

You really need to read the law and understand it. Below is from the FCCA.

8) Any bus, train, or form of transportation paid for in whole or in part with public funds, and any building, real property, and parking area under the control of a public transportation facility paid for in whole or in part with public funds.

Be careful if you go through CUS. The RR cops are equipped with dogs that sniff out guns and explosives.

Not to mention the TSA "Tiger Teams" that are deployed at Union Station from time to time.

Iâve walked right past those guys, and their dogs, with my foid transported firearm in my backpack many times.

Never been a problem.

Archived