Denied foid card due to mental health

I was denied my first foid card last year because I was in a mental health unit more than a decade ago(drug related not suicidal). I was in there for two weeks then on medication for less than 6 months, I stopped going for medicine cold turkey. Ive never had a felony or another incident with mental health After 2010. Why did I get denied and is an appeal win possible for my situation?

post-21523-0-25218800-1591061177_thumb.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Hello;

First off, Thank you all so very much for this forum. I have been able to answer all my questions, up to this point, by just reading all the fantastic community posts and help offered here.

I have a >5 year Mental Health denial, it was after discharge from the military and I could not sleep, due to a skin graft and the traumatic experience which almost killed me with complete organ failure, so I listened to the discharging hospitals advice upon release of my 6 month hospital stay, and admitted myself for help, which was actually great... I had a current FOID at the time, but never even received as revocation letter, nor was it ever shown as revoked on ISP site, so I was under the impression this would not be an issue, when I applied again, was denied. My card had expired, but I had reported it stolen with my wallet years prior to expiration ( which again, was never noted on ISP site ), and I was off on active duty during the renewal period, so I went through the whole process and applied again this year as I feel like getting back into the hobby would be great during these crazy times. I got the rejection stating the date and facility where I had gone in for treatment, 8/12/2010, (self / Voluntary admission). If I would have known it would cause me troubles down the road, I would have jumped on this much much earlier, but due to my injuries from serving, I just wanted to get my body back into shape and learn to use my one arm properly again before I went to a range and let my pride take over the embarrassment of learning how to shoot again... Anyhow, I went to a Dr. whom was recommended to me by an Illinois State Police officer, whom had used him for his full release after he had to have his evaluation done after an incident on the job.

I know they are very backlogged, and my appeal would take some time, on average it was 4-5 months in May of this year, for people whom had gone to this very same Doctor. He sent in his portion of the FOID appeal and I submitted Mine Via Certified Mail. I have tracking showing both have been received, but now I am way past 6 months and all the numbers I call, don't get me just the simple answer that my submission has been received, nor, have I received a letter stating my appeal was denied. I have tried the numbers I could find on here, and I see that some people have been successful calling ISP or a State Representative. I honestly don't mind waiting, I just want to make sure the paperwork is received and then I can sit back and just wait.

I recieved my denial from ISP on 8,April, 2020.

Sent in my portion of appeal forms on 5/9/2020 Via Certified Mail

Dr. sent in his portion of appeals forms on 5/11/2020 Via Certified Mail

I have call 217-782-7262 and sent many emails, just to confirm receipt of both parcels and to make sure I did not need to send out again all as one package. I have tried a few other numbers, I have seen recommended around on the forums, to no avail.

I live in Schaumburg, IL, and my question is how can I confirm this was received as my status has remained unchanged for months on ISP website?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have very little time with my current work with TSA and US Customs international shipping inspections and clearance. I really don't want this opportunity to go to waste as I was lucky to get time off to go and get the Mental Health Assessment done in the first place. I have backup of all forms sent in from both myself and my Dr.. I just want to move on with this, and if I need to start all over again, so be it, I'd just like to get out there and train on my own again, so I can build up the ancillary muscles again. Thank you all very much for everything you do, I thank you very much for any help, even if this is not read. Please excuse any delayed responses, I work a lot and often don't get the chance to even check my personal emails let alone browse the web.

Thank you very much in advance,

I am sure I am just going to have to keep on waiting, but I am praying that this can be at least confirmed as received and just sitting in the stack waiting to be looked at and reviewed.

Warmest Regards,

Michael Annarella

Please excuse grammar and punctuation, this was done on a mobile device and not very easily typed up.

Foid appeal status will not show up on your isp status page. If you sent your appeal documents via a mail service that provided you with a signed receipt of delivery, you can be fairly certain they have it in que to review. If in doubt, go ahead and fax your appeal documents to the fax number on the forms along with a cover letter asking for confirmation of receipt.

How does this work for someone who is renewing their FOID card? Let’s say an individual lost their card due mental health reasons, waited 5 years and received it back before the law was changed in 2013 when the greater than 5 year prohibitor was introduced? Will this law be retroactively applied and the FOID renewal denied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think the latest changes apply to you, they wouldn't make you suffer and follow an old law because of the incident date while allowing everyone else the benefit of the new law.

I'm glad you came over from Reddit, I'm the GunsCarsPlanes dude who suggested this site haha.

I'm sure Molly B will answer you, she is an incredible resource along with a few other people.

No worries! Just wanted to prevent any future confusion. This is a great forum and hopefully the person you recommended it to does make it here.

It is really shameful how this state handles voluntary mental health. People are being responsible by taking care of themselves and as a result have to jump through all sorts of hoops to enjoy their rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does this work for someone who is renewing their FOID card? Let’s say an individual lost their card due mental health reasons, waited 5 years and received it back before the law was changed in 2013 when the greater than 5 year prohibitor was introduced? Will this law be retroactively applied and the FOID renewal denied? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't think it would come up since this was before the law changed - however - I have been surprised by the state of Illinois before. Your situation will be one we will want to follow.

Archived