"Some kettles may be darkly complected," says blackest pot on Earth...

kemikos

it's probably more common than one would think. Having a badge makes certain guns come with a severe discount while others that are hard to find are set aside for LEO. If there is a "market" someone will take advantage of it.

Specifically, in the article, police in California are allegedly using their LE exemption to buy guns that are not on the list of allowed firearms, then selling them to non-LEOs, as used guns are exempt from the registration restrictions.

One Californian mentioned that it's a relatively common practice, and that sales of (for example) "off-registry" $1500 M&P's are not uncommon.

Which is all perfectly legal, unless the firearm was purchased with the intent to sell.

it's probably more common than one would think. Having a badge makes certain guns come with a severe discount while others that are hard to find are set aside for LEO. If there is a "market" someone will take advantage of it.

Specifically, in the article, police in California are allegedly using their LE exemption to buy guns that are not on the list of allowed firearms, then selling them to non-LEOs, as used guns are exempt from the registration restrictions.

One Californian mentioned that it's a relatively common practice, and that sales of (for example) "off-registry" $1500 M&P's are not uncommon.

Which is all perfectly legal, unless the firearm was purchased with the intent to sell.

That's why I wonder what in certain conditions were, if police can purchase off the list and sell legally (having a FFL) I know LOTS of people in CA that would pay for this service.

I wonder how often an LEO encounters a suspect carrying a gun, and where that possession is a felony in and of itself, so that when the LEO says to the suspect "lets agree that you did not have a gun with you" it never gets any further. Maybe its not comparable but many, many years ago when I was with the medical battalion in a division in Vietnam we picked up many a wounded soldier who had other than U.S. issued firearms with him. Maybe it was a captured AK47, maybe a Chinese pistol. These guns never were turned into the supply channels but were "retained" by us in the medical battalion and often used as trading materials with our Air Force brethren who had access to such rarities as window air conditioners. Police today (and always) are in a similar position to acquire various firearms where they can disappear into the system.

Archived