Sanctuary gun counties in Illinois

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#601 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:05 PM

That means one more for an even 2/3 of the state's counties. There really has to be a way this 2/3 supermajority can be capitalized on to do something to move the needle for the entire state towards the anti-firearm-confiscation side. I am talking legislatively, not just feel-good platitudes.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of free speech, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

"One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest." —Me

"Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck. —Samurai proverb

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

"I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist." —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Posted Image     

#602 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:00 PM

That means one more for an even 2/3 of the state's counties. There really has to be a way this 2/3 supermajority can be capitalized on to do something to move the needle for the entire state towards the anti-firearm-confiscation side. I am talking legislatively, not just feel-good platitudes.

Only way is to replace current state government with one where one house is representative of local government and not population.

The way the state government is setup it is impossible not have a majority biased representation by Chicago Democrats.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#603 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Anyone here from Rock Island County? They could use your help:

https://wqad.com/201...sary-obstacles/
"The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass~

#604 jkdkaliman101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Anyone have any updates on Will county? I know they failed to pass a resolution at one point but is it dead in the water?
‘’in a crisis we will not rise to our expectations, but fall to our level of training’’ -Paul Vunak

"Make the best of every moment for today's moments are tomorrows memories."

"Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me I'll always be in your mind." William Shakespeare

Obey Acts 2:38!

#605 kevinmcc

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

Grundy Co will have a referendum question on the Nov 2020 ballot.

http://www.wcsjnews....1b07f6f5b7.html

Shall Grundy County oppose the passage of any bill where the Illinois General Assembly desires to restrict the individual right of United States citizens as protected by the second amendment?[/size]

If that is question, then that is not same as sanctuary referendum. That is actually weak stance. Chicago Dems are going to be laughing, oh no Grundy county does not like our gun bill...

Even if that passes, still don't feel they should be considered a sanctuary county.
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA
Life Member, Oath Keepers
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation

#606 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 6,338 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:42 PM

The gun county sanctuary movement is spreading across the country. Was Illinois first to do this?
Have all boated who fish?

#607 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 6,338 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:42 PM

Nevermind, just saw the other thread.

#608 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Grundy Co will have a referendum question on the Nov 2020 ballot.

http://www.wcsjnews....1b07f6f5b7.html

Shall Grundy County oppose the passage of any bill where the Illinois General Assembly desires to restrict the individual right of United States citizens as protected by the second amendment?[/size]

Outstanding! I have the language from White County if you need it. Shoot me a PM if you'd like. 18 Illinois counties did this last year, all 18 passed by an average of nearly 80% of voters...who also represent the jury pool. ;)
"The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass~

#609 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

After all the "Whereas-es", the last line of the White County version reads:

"The People of White County, Illinois are OPPOSED to all attempts by the Illinois General Assembly, in violation of their Oath of Office, to infringe upon the Constitutional Right of the PEOPLE to Keep and Bear Arms."

Emphasis in original.

Edited by speedbump, 16 December 2019 - 05:38 PM.

~Frederick Douglass~

#610 InterestedBystander

• 7,949 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:55 PM

There was a thread shortly after the election that had the results and wording posted of all the counties that had it on the ballot. http://illinoiscarry...91#entry1180406

Edited by InterestedBystander, 16 December 2019 - 05:59 PM.

NRA Life Member; ISRA Member
SAF Member; GOA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#611 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 14,365 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

One County has gotten to the point of authorizing the formation of a local militia 

https://www.lawenfor...itutional-laws/

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#612 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

the last line of the White County version reads:

Obviously it's not in the form of a question, but it's just worded fancier than the rough draft/template my county board is starting from.

The board members will discuss/debate the exact final wording and then vote on the final version that will appear on the ballot.

The state's attorney liked that wording more than the other versions he'd seen, and recommended it be adopted without modification. It was best (IMHO) kept simple and to the point. Some versions get confusing about whether the YES or NO choice is in support or opposition of the "Whereas-es". Most of those I borrowed &/or modified from elsewhere when I wrote it. The resolution had already been approved months before. That was modified from the Madison County version, since they were reluctant to use the term "sanctuary." It was edited out, but I relied on stronger focus on oaths and Constitutionality.

~Frederick Douglass~

#613 steveTA84

• Members
  • 8,672 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

One County has gotten to the point of authorizing the formation of a local militia 

https://www.lawenfor...itutional-laws/

We should get that started in Southern IL

#614 fxdpntc

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:22 PM

Virginia Citizens Defense League has impressive, sometimes SRO turnouts at Town Council and County Board meetings...

#615 cybermgk

• 2,634 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:29 AM

Only way is to replace current state government with one where one house is representative of local government and not population.

The way the state government is setup it is impossible not have a majority biased representation by Chicago Democrats.

The Senate Districts are messed up.  THe concept of a Senate, even at state level, is to have one half of the Legislature to not be based on population, but equal representation by state, County, or other geographic divider.  That CONCEPT, is expressly to counter the mob rule, oppression by cities, etc. Basing it on Population, like Illinois does, just makes no sense.  Why even have it (if one wants a fair and equitable state government)?  It's just a worse rendition of the Reps.  Representatives MIGHT ebb and flow and have a more equal distribution/s[ of Republican and Democrat.  More chance in flipping a smaller pop area seat.  But, it guarantees, in a state like this to be skewed Dem forever (unless digital work force starts making Cities, less populated)..

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#616 michael

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:37 PM

The Senate Districts are messed up.  THe concept of a Senate, even at state level, is to have one half of the Legislature to not be based on population, but equal representation by state, County, or other geographic divider.  That CONCEPT, is expressly to counter the mob rule, oppression by cities, etc. Basing it on Population, like Illinois does, just makes no sense.  Why even have it (if one wants a fair and equitable state government)?  It's just a worse rendition of the Reps.  Representatives MIGHT ebb and flow and have a more equal distribution/s[ of Republican and Democrat.  More chance in flipping a smaller pop area seat.  But, it guarantees, in a state like this to be skewed Dem forever (unless digital work force starts making Cities, less populated)..

It was like that most places before the US Supreme Court struck it down in Reynolds v. Sims.

Seems silly that imitating the Federal system could be wrong, but that happened. Most states went a similar way to IL; Nebraska eliminated it being the only state with a single house.

#617 Rangerdeepv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 12:25 AM

What was the result of the Grundy County ballot question for 2A sanctuary?

#618 mab22

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

It was like that most places before the US Supreme Court struck it down in Reynolds v. Sims.
Seems silly that imitating the Federal system could be wrong, but that happened. Most states went a similar way to IL; Nebraska eliminated it being the only state with a single house.

Perhaps that needs to be challenged again.
The federal senators are elected by popular vote, use to be appointed by states, BUT they were supposed to be a check against congress(house) and 2 represent each state regardless of population. So the notion of 1 person 1 vote makes no sense, I guess maybe it was based on how it was argued and what question was being asked. We should have 1 senator per county, and that would be a check on the mobocracy.

https://www.britanni...ates-government
Void the FOID!

#619 Rangerdeepv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

Um..........the question will appear on the ballot in the 2020 general election next November.

Thank You!

#620 InterestedBystander

• 7,949 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:58 PM

https://ilbusinessda...ent-sanctuaries

66 counties in Illinois are now 2nd Amendment sanctuaries

...Sixty-six counties in the state are now under a Second Amendment sanctuary law or ordinance, according to updates from the website Gunrightswatch.com and media reports.

Those jurisdictions that have passed Second Amendment sanctuary ordinances and resolutions usually vow that they will not follow gun-control statutes they believe violate the U.S. Constitution. The declarations are not legally binding, but they do send a message to state lawmakers and others that the jurisdiction will fight such limitations on their right to bear arms....
SAF Member; GOA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#621 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

For those inquiring what a sanctuary represents, I hope this clarifies some things. SteveTA posted it in the Backroom, but this will allow open access in a related topic thread:

https://www.mom-at-a...59FvjADQmwqOujU

~Frederick Douglass~

#622 SiliconSorcerer

• 3,030 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

Is there a list of people/organizations that are working on specific counties? 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

Remington Historical Foundation - 501©3 - donate to me ;) 

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

#623 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Is there a list of people/organizations that are working on specific counties?

No, it's completely spontaneous, and up to folks living in or near there. Once word starts spreading it usually grows rapidly.

~Frederick Douglass~

#624 InterestedBystander

• 7,949 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

Piatt county under consideration

Full story at link

https://www.wcia.com...ment-sanctuary/

...MONTICELLO, Ill. (WCIA) The Piatt County Board may soon become a Second Amendment Sanctuary County. What that means is the county will not enforce any laws that infringe upon Second Amendment rights or gun rights.

Most counties in the state are already sanctuary counties. The only counties that arent are Rock Island, Lee, DeKalb, Cook and Piatt. Supporters say this is a way for counties to say they support gun owners.

This is not just guns either. The second amendment applies to all arms, in other words, the knives in your kitchen are arms, and this applies to those. The right to bear arms should not be infringed, said supporter Steve Shreffler.

Monticello Police Chief John Carter says he believes this is the countys way of being proactive in case anything goes too far on a state level...

resolution
https://www.wcia.com...ESOLUTION-1.pdf

Edited by InterestedBystander, 12 February 2020 - 09:29 PM.

SAF Member; GOA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#625 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:02 AM

The only counties that arent are Rock Island, Lee, DeKalb, Cook and Piatt.

That's interesting and it means that my county is probably a sanctuary.  Is there a master list somewhere which shows exactly which counties are 2A sanctuaries?

#626 InterestedBystander

• 7,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:32 AM

That's interesting and it means that my county is probably a sanctuary.  Is there a master list somewhere which shows exactly which counties are 2A sanctuaries?
Kevin, keeper of the IC map
http://illinoiscarry...20#entry1228326

or different map here

https://gunrightswat...on-t-prosecute/

Hmmm, they both show Piatt already passed??? Looks like they passed one in 2012 so this new report must be a 2020 version.

http://illinoiscarry...dpost&p=1207857

Edited by InterestedBystander, 13 February 2020 - 06:42 AM.

SAF Member; GOA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#627 lilguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

What are the white counties?

#628 InterestedBystander

• 7,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:41 AM

What are the white counties?

Non sanctuary counties
SAF Member; GOA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#629 InterestedBystander

• 7,949 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:52 AM

Full story at link NOTE: Township and not county

Board votes for McHenry Twp. to become a gun sanctuary

https://www.dailyher...a-gun-sanctuary

...McHenry Township board trustees voted unanimously Thursday to adopt a resolution to make the township a sanctuary for gun owners.

A gun sanctuary prohibits or impedes the enforcement of certain gun-control measures perceived as violative of the Second Amendment.

The reason for the vote at the township level, Trustee Steve Verr said, is because the McHenry County Board won't take a vote on the resolution.

"When so many counties are adopting it, there's no need for township to adopt it. It's only when things get stagnated at the county level where the townships can take action, so we're doing that right here and now, and we're making a statement to the county board to let this thing come up for a vote," Verr said.

While Board Supervisor Craig Adams was not against the gun sanctuary resolution, he said it should've been done at the county level instead.

"If we pass this, we have no agreements with the sheriffs in the township areas. It has no teeth," he said. "I would refer to the county because they have law enforcement."

Wonder Lake resident Sue Rose agreed with Adams that at the township level, the resolution is "pointless." Some residents tore up the resolution in opposition....

Edited by InterestedBystander, 15 February 2020 - 11:52 AM.

SAF Member; GOA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#630 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 4,617 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

Kevin, keeper of the IC map
http://illinoiscarry...20#entry1228326

or different map here

https://gunrightswat...on-t-prosecute/

Hmmm, they both show Piatt already passed??? Looks like they passed one in 2012 so this new report must be a 2020 version.

http://illinoiscarry...dpost&p=1207857

All of those maps seem to only go up to about August of last year.

Is there a regularly updated map, as well as a list of the counties and other municipalities, anywhere?

If not, maybe a sticky should be put up with that in it, in the original posting, for quick and complete reference.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of free speech, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

"One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest." —Me

"Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck. —Samurai proverb

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." —Robert Heinlein

"I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist." —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Posted Image     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users