Brass verses Aluminum

robinp

I notice that Basler has a sale on 115 grain brass and aluminum in 9 mm. I'm buying said ammo for target practice and I don't reload or save the empty casings. Under those circumstances, what is the disavantage of aluminum over brass, if any? If it's just a dirtier cartridge, I can clean my gun for the savings on 1000 rounds. Thanks.

I shoot a Glock. My guess is that if Boomersand hasn't experienced any problems shooting aluminum through his XD, I probably will have the same positive experience with my Glock. I will wait for more comments, and if all is well, I will give them a try. Thanks.

Are we talking about Blazer ammo here, because I don't know Basler. If so, I really like the aluminum cased Blazer cartridge especially since it's often cheaper than brass cased. It is no dirtier than any other ammo. I've shot it in both 9mm and .45 acp. It ran fine in everything from an Ed Brown 1911 to a Sig P226, Glock 17, and FNX-9. I always try to find it at Dick's sporting goods, but they're usually sold out as soon as comes in. I recommend it as a range ammo.

Blazer aluminum cases!! I found piles of these on my range! i couldn't find the guy shooting them, i was gonna tell him to throw that stuff in the trash!

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n544/getzapped134/27034_105882012769676_100000436333215_150892_5738156_n.jpg

I came to the conclusion last year that I won't be running aluminum case ammo in any of my handguns anymore because of ejection problems and stovepipes. My guns run perfectly on brass and that is the way I'm going. I do use steelcase stuff though in my antique bolt rifles like my Mosin.

Blazer aluminum cases!! I found piles of these on my range! i couldn't find the guy shooting them, i was gonna tell him to throw that stuff in the trash!

AL has always worked fine for me, but I don't chew on it after I shoot it... :laugh:

Since starting this thread, I've shot 600 rounds of aluminum casing through my 9mm Glock. Not one misfire. I also didn't see any chewed up casing as someone posted in this thread. For target shooting, if I can save a few dollars shooting aluminum over brass, I'm all for that. Thanks for everyone's input.

People down at the gun club shoot steel cased and AL cased ammo all the time. I have never heard of any one that has had any unusual problems with them. Some guns just do not like certain ammo and if you find that to be the case, just switch to a different style or brand of ammo. Guns can now and then be a little finicky. It happens with brass cased ammo too.

Archived