Will County Board - Gun Violence Awareness proclamation sparks heated debate

InterestedBystander

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/ct-sta-will-county-board-guns-0517-story.html

A proclamation declaring June 7 as National Gun Violence Awareness Day sparked objections from some Will County Board members.

Board members typically approve proclamations with little debate, but Thursdays vote sparked heated debate on the issues of gun violence and gun owner rights. The proclamation passed by a vote of 18-6, with the dissenting votes coming from Republican board members.

There is no such thing as gun violence, Will County Board member Gretchen Fritz, a Republican from Plainfield, said. Guns dont kill people; people kill people. Cain killed his brother Abel with a rock. There is no moral superiority of one type of violence over another. All violence is wrong.

Supporters of the proclamation, however, said the measure was simply to bring awareness to gun violence and to encourage people to wear orange on June 7 to commemorate the day. The proclamation also reads that the board would do what it could to keep firearms out of the wrong hands; and encourage responsible gun ownership to help keep our children safe.

Board member Herb Brooks, a Joliet Democrat, recently lost his granddaughter and great grandchildren to gun violence.

Im 110% in support of this resolution, Brooks said.

Opponents, however, argued that violence is the issue, not the instruments used to carry out the violence.

I have a serious problem with the word gun violence, said board member Steve Balich, R-Homer Glen. Its the human being thats the problem; not the gun.

Balich, a gun rights advocate, recently proposed board members pass an amendment in support of the 2nd Amendment but it did not pass out of committee.

Members of Moms Demand Action applauded the county boards passage of the proclamation and said it will help draw attention to the issue. Though not surprised by the opposition, local group lead Sharon Seliga questioned Balichs concern over the term gun violence.

It is a violent act, she said.

Members of Moms Demand have won support for similar proclamations in many Will County communities including Mokena, New Lenox, University Park and Matteson, Seliga said.

Members of Moms Demand Action applauded the county boards passage of the proclamation and said it will help draw attention to the issue. Though not surprised by the opposition, local group lead Sharon Seliga questioned Balichs concern over the term gun violence.

Members of Moms Demand have won support for similar proclamations in many Will County communities including Mokena, New Lenox, University Park and Matteson, Seliga said.

Watchdogs, we have names and cities. We have work to do :)

Posting this as well because its relevant. From a FOIA. June is wear orange month and the month theyre trying to get their cute little awareness day everywhere. This is from last year but its a wash and repeat. Be on alert, because as you see, elected officials are sometimes guiding these vermin to their favorite recruiting grounds to gather support for their publicity stunts.......

http://i.imgur.com/6CUPnnb.jpg

I highly suggest everyone start prying into their local communities NOW to bring to light if your area is being invaded by the mommies for proclamations

Watchdogs, we have names and cities. We have work to do :)

Odd, because Matteson is in Cook ...

and to encourage people to wear orange on June 7 to commemorate the day.

June is wear orange month and the month they're trying to get their cute little awareness day everywhere

So no hi vis orange t shirts or my orange Bear's cap for the whole month?

Hi vis yellow on a John Deere and in the grass on a road ditch edge doesn't work as well and it gets dirty more easily.

What the heck, even with my flashers on people still nearly hit me at times. People just about don't move over for anything and seem to get p***** when i move over for a jogger or bicycle rider into their lane when they driving from the opposite direction.

What the heck, even with my flashers on people still nearly hit me at times. People just about don't move over for anything and seem to get p***** when i move over for a jogger or bicycle rider into their lane when they driving from the opposite direction.

Stay in your lane;-)

Or slow down for the aforementioned road pizza. I don’t want to hit anybody but I’d rather hit a bicycle than an oncoming vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay in your lane;-)

Or slow down for the aforementioned road pizza. I don’t want to hit anybody but I’d rather hit a bicycle than an oncoming vehicle.

Me being hit is while mowing the ditch next to a road that has an 8 ft center lane between the two lanes of the road. It's 25mph on that road and I've been missed by inches by vehicles going 45 or 50.

As far as me moving over to avoid a bike or a jogger, It's when I have plenty of distance to do so and I'm doing the speed limit or less already and I'm driving the bigger vehicle. It's in the oncoming traffic's best interest to slow down. They can make the choice to run head on with their little car or SUV into a 12K utility tractor or a 10K truck.

Stay in your lane;-)

Me being hit is while mowing the ditch next to a road that has an 8 ft center lane between the two lanes of the road. It's 25mph on that road and I've been missed by inches by vehicles going 45 or 50.

I feel you pain, I live off a '5 lane' highway, speed limit 45, 2 lanes in each direction and a full width lane median in the middle, yet mowing the 800ft give or take of my yard along the road is sometimes life and death, there is a small 3 foot paved sidewalk that butts up to the road so I have some buffer but that doesn't stop people from zingng buy in the closest lane at 70 when they could easily give me some space... Cleaning the end of the driveway of snow is the worst, I don't even attempt to do that until 3am and even at the witching hour, it never fails most of the cars refuse to give me the benefit of the doubt and use the further lane...

Cleaning the end of the driveway of snow is the worst,

I have the same problem plowing snow.

Anyways.....let's climb out of the rabbit hole here.

So I can't wear orange in June now?

Gear up lol

https://store.everytown.org/collections/wear-orange

Although if the moms did Demand Action, I have orange they could wear. Lots and lots of action indeed.

http://i.imgur.com/yuRe9go.jpg

I'm just gonna tell myself the the people in the vehicles passing by will just think I'm making myself more visible while i'm mowing the road edge and not making some type of political statement about so called "gun violence".

That being said, many people do dbl takes as they pass by. I used to think they were checking out the 1 series John Deere with the loader mounts on the sides. But now I believe they're looking at the train wreck of a fat guy being bounced around by the rough ground on a little tractor!

Stay in your lane;-)

I feel you pain, I live off a '5 lane' highway, speed limit 45, 2 lanes in each direction and a full width lane median in the middle, yet mowing the 800ft give or take of my yard along the road is sometimes life and death, there is a small 3 foot paved sidewalk that butts up to the road so I have some buffer but that doesn't stop people from zingng buy in the closest lane at 70 when they could easily give me some space... Cleaning the end of the driveway of snow is the worst, I don't even attempt to do that until 3am and even at the witching hour, it never fails most of the cars refuse to give me the benefit of the doubt and use the further lane...

Put out cones?

Put out cones?

I don't want to keep going down the same rabbit hole, but on this subject, last summer a vehicle attempted to use my driveway for a three point turn, they were clobbered backing out. They pulled back into the driveway, the elderly lady that clobbered them put on her flashers, stopped in the right lane, not two minutes latter someone rear ended her. Police and fire show up, two cop cara, pumper truck, ambulance all flashing lights, a clobbered car in my driveway, two more dead cars on the street, emergency response people walking everywhere, as a fireman attempts to put out cones to block the right lane someone (refusing to get in the left lane) proceedes to plow through the line of cones almost clipping the fireman that is still putting out the cones, police go and have a long talk with said driver. That said I doubt cones would help me mowing or plowing, people are just idiots. BTW, the wife and I get honked at pretty much daily for daring to turn into our driveway resulting in them to have to slow down. I won't even go into the number of people who blew past the stopped school bus with stopsign out when the youngest was going to a speech therapy class every week a few years back.

That said I doubt cones would help me mowing or plowing, people are just idiots.

I agree, they'd run them over.

But it's not like they don't have room to move over. There's a whole 8' wide dividing lane between the two ways of traffic they can move over into. There are oversize tractor trailer transports going by I never worry about vs. a little compact car that somehow thinks that yellow outline of the dividing lane is somehow makes it forbidden to drive in.

I haven't yet mentioned I drive the mile to that property down the dividing lane on my small tractor. It goes about 9'ish mph wide open, so I figure I'm safer in the dividing lane not slowing down traffic. I'm only 5' wide in that 8' lane, but have almost been hit in thee too. I occasionally go the other direction a couple miles the other direction on that little tractor where the dividing lane ends. That can get interesting when there's traffic from both directions.

I'm gonna go mow those ditches after lunch too.

Now.......back to the original topic.

Cleaning the end of the driveway of snow is the worst,

I have the same problem plowing snow.

Anyways.....let's climb out of the rabbit hole here.

So I can't wear orange in June now?

Gear up lolhttps://store.everytown.org/collections/wear-orange

Although if the moms did Demand Action, I have orange they could wear. Lots and lots of action indeed.

Brings back some memories. I once were in charge of purchasing PPE for my team doing construction. Ordered orange safety vests, etc., reported success, just to be almost immediately contacted by boss to chsnge to yellow: they didn't want to look similar to "community workers" picking garbage alongside highways

Archived