ISP FSB Article

ITguy1686

Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau Provides Firearms Dealer License Certification Act and FOID Services Updates

Published on August 28 2019 9:30 am

Last Updated on August 28 2019 9:31 am

The Illinois State Police (ISP) Firearms Services Bureau (FSB) has announced the opening of the public comment period for rules regarding the Firearms Dealer License Certification Act (FDLCA), as well as providing a public update to the agency’s Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) efforts to date.

The ISP is working on improving the enforcement of existing gun laws in Illinois. ISP FSB and Zone Investigations Offices are working with partners in law enforcement statewide to educate local agencies on procedures, enforcement, and agency responsibilities regarding the FOID Act.

Firearms Dealer License Certification Act Rule Making Progress

With the publication of ISP’s proposed rules for the FDLCA (https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/index/register/home.html), ISP is now accepting public comment.

During the 45-day review period, the ISP is providing the following two methods for commenters to provide feedback.

Chief Legal Counsel

Illinois State Police

801 South 7th Street, Suite 1000-S

Springfield, IL 62703

ISP Conducts Over 100 FOID Enforcement Details Since May

The ISP has designated Gun Liaison Officers (GLO) within each of the seven statewide investigative zones. The GLO’s, in conjunction with the ISP command, review and prioritize the individuals to be the subject of further investigation and enforcement. The ISP gives priority to revoked FOID card holders designated as a Clear and Present Danger, card holders with Mental Health Admissions, Convicted Felons, and card holders who have committed Crimes Against Persons. ISP Command prioritize any individual they deem a potential threat regardless of the reason for revocation.

The ISP has conducted 102 joint details statewide during the May through July 2019 timeframe, with local law enforcement to enforce laws regarding revoked FOID Cards. When conducting these details, officers concentrated on revoked FOID Card holders in their respective jurisdictions. As a result of these details, 256 revoked card holders are now in compliance, meaning they have surrendered their FOID card and completed a Firearm Disposition Record form as required by statute. As of today’s date, 654 law enforcement agencies statewide are enrolled in the ISP’S FSB law enforcement web portal which includes FOID revocation history information.

GLO’s continue to work in conjunction with local law enforcement, contacting individuals with revoked FOID cards in an effort to gain compliance. Some areas have placed FOID binders in every sheriff’s department and at larger police departments. The FOID binders consist of instructions on how to recover a revoked FOID, examples of what documents are necessary, and all of the blank forms pertaining to the FOID process.

“We must take whatever steps we can, large and small, to strengthen the fabric of these systems because any improvement could be the one that makes the difference,” said Brendan F. Kelly, Acting Director of the Illinois State Police. “With new cadet classes making their way through the academy pipeline, ISP will have some additional personnel to help address FOID card revocations. The ISP will continue to be transparent in our efforts against firearms violence, while improving services for law enforcement and lawful gun owners.”

FSB Call Center Improvements

The ISP’s FSB call center is currently staffed with five individuals. During a Central Management Services (CMS) call study conducted October 22-26, 2018, those five individuals handled 15,668 calls. Additionally, the FSB receives an average of 25,000 FOID card applications per month, and during the period of January 1, 2019, through the middle of July, has processed 94,152 FOID card applications.

The ISP FSB also assisted 275 people over the course of six days during the Illinois State Fair in Springfield in 2019. During this time, there were 63 new FOID card applications taken, 47 applications to renew FOID cards, 21 expired FOID card holders reapplied for a new FOID card, 14 submitted paperwork for a lost/destroyed/stolen card, 43 individuals requested a check of the status of their FOID card, staff answered the general questions of 68 people, there were 7 appeal documents handed out or questions answered regarding the appeal process, and 12 people requested a name or address change on their FOID card.

The ISP’s FSB is currently working on implementing a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) solution to provide much needed improvements and efficiencies to the call center. The State of Illinois vendor contract with Presidio has an estimated implementation cost of $750,000 with a recurring monthly cost of $10,000; these costs are being paid for through the State Police Firearm Services Fund. The new VoIP system allows for not only automated processes, such as completing an application without having to speak to an agent, it is also interactive. It will work in conjunction with the existing system and agents to populate their computer with information ahead of receiving a caller, to better and more quickly assist them.

The call flow allows callers to select their specific issues and potentially resolve them independent of an agent. The system will also enable a person to request a call back without having to remain on the line. In addition, it will provide callers the ability to renew a FOID card or Concealed Carry License (CCL) with no address change over the phone, including payment, without speaking to a live agent.

Until improvements in the call center are completed, there are four methods for obtaining assistance with FOID/CCL related issues. Applicants may call (217) 782-7980; they can visit the Illinois State Police home page and click the Firearms tab to the left where they will find a section related directly to FOID/CCL, complete with a FAQ section: https://www.ispfsb.com/; for video tutorials related to FOID/CCL, they can visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqmvVzpfjsojFnd50HndO5A; or they can email the FSB at ASKFOID@illinois.gov where a customer service agent can provide assistance. The ISP FSB also wants to remind FOID card holders their FOID card will remain valid throughout the renewal process, as long as they apply for their card renewal prior to the expiration date on their FOID card.

If they receive 25,000 FOID applications per month, then they have received approx 212,500 applications January 1 through mid-July. Color me unimpressed they issued less than half the number of applications (94,152) they received during that period. Also, instead of paying $750,000 and $10,000 monthly to cronies for an automated phone system, why don't they just hire someone to answer the dang phone?

While I appreciate any kind of improvement and upgrades, not sure they fully realize the degree to which things are broken. And they need to address CCL and not just FOID.

source of OP data I found (because why issue as a press release and put on ISP site)

http://www.thexradio.com/news/78-local-news/40763-illinois-state-police-firearms-services-bureau-provides-firearms-dealer-license-certification-act-and-foid-services-updates

...The ISPs FSB call center is currently staffed with five individuals. During a Central Management Services (CMS) call study conducted October 22-26, 2018, those five individuals handled 15,668 calls....

I wonder what time period those numbers were for? 4 days? How many hangups were counted?

If 5 people in the call center, how many people processing FOIDs and CCLs?

questions, questions, questions...

F.o.i.d in 30 days,ccl in the applicants hand in 90-120 days respectively,until we see that,it's all talk.if they were compliant with the timeline,I'm guessing they wouldn't get near the call volume.

and fix issues with the website...no way to request getting weird events fixed e.g. account locked, no responses to emails, cant use website on mobile devices (which used to work), etc

Just a heads up

Channel 5 is having a WHY Illinois residents cant get a CCL in the allotted time frame.

No link yet, as Im sitting here waiting for it to come up!

Hopefully next.......

Opps, now it has been moved to tonite at 10pm.

Was a positive piece. Nothing new in feedback from ISP. Mentioned 5 people in call center taking 20000 calls per week. Link to video is not up on NBC 5 site yet.

So herein lies a great idea.

No I didn’t really come up with it by myself, but reading and now I’ll just jump on the bandwagon, so to speak.

What is stopping us, IC and members and instructors from holding announced sign ups for FOID Cards?

Yes, someone needs a laptop and we have to have internet, but most good locations have WiFi and most if not all is free to hook up to.

We place notices out somewhere, ( told you it’s not my idea ) and get people to show up and we assist with the process.

Kind of like getting the voters out during those sign up/register things.

What say ye......we have any interested parties? MollyB, what cha think?

I have a hotspot internet feature on my TMobile plan. It's not unique and I suspect many others do as well. So long as I'm near the greater Chicago area a laptop can have a secure connection.

I think the mobile sign up is a good idea.

Probably need signage that states qualifications for card to make it easier to not waste time with applicants with disqualifying history.

Archived