Pro-2A Resolutions - Game Plan and Resources thread

GarandFan

"Not that I'm against the Second Amendment," she said. "But I'm an anti-gun advocate so I would have a little bit of difficulty with this."

:thumbsup:

B)

B)

B)

I don't think it's possible to be an "anti-gun/2A supporter". Trying to ride the fence like this when responding to a reporter's question only causes some ( like RacerDave! B) ) to shake their heads. I share your frustration.

On a more sympathetic note, when I contacted Ms. Tobias some time ago I noticed she had an niu.edu email address. I can only presume she works there and was personally affected by the NIU incident which is still fresh in her mind. Knowing this I tried to be exceptionally sensitive when writing to her. She said she is anti-gun (above) and has probably allowed that campus incident to solidify her stand on the issue even more. Yet, her words also tell me she doesn't want to come right out and say she doesn't support the 2A. She knows she took an oath to do so and doesn't want to be seen as un-American while also chairing the county board. She wants to support it, if only it weren't for those guns! It's just my own personal feeling (and I could be wrong), but I think she is sincerely struggling with the two issues and this resolution will probably be a very difficult decision for her. She will have to make a decision one way or another because by its very nature this resolution separates the supporters from the opposers. Failure to make a decision is a decision in itself.

"Not that I'm against the Second Amendment," she said. "But I'm an anti-gun advocate so I would have a little bit of difficulty with this."

Only one comment up, and it's a good one.....

carl in chicago wrote:

DeKalb County Board Chairman Ruth Anne Tobias said "Not that I'm against the Second Amendment....But I'm an anti-gun advocate so I would have a little bit of difficulty with this."

Well, Ms. Tobias, if you are an anti-gun advocate, you are definately against the second amendment. You have every right to be against the second amendment, but as a county board chair, you appear a little disingenuous when you so blatantly contradict yourself in public.

5/7/2008 6:59 PM CDT on suburbanchicagonews.com

On a more sympathetic note, when I contacted Ms. Tobias some time ago I noticed she had an niu.edu email address. I can only presume she works there and was personally affected by the NIU incident which is still fresh in her mind.
That does explain her odd quote, Perhaps she just needs some friendly reminding that us law abiding citizens are not to blame for that tragedy, and there is a definite line between us. And thanks racerdave for finding the online story, i couldn't find it for the life of me.

• 2 months later...

Being that in the months of December 2007-February 2008, I received numerous inquiries regarding the DC v. Heller case in conection with getting the P2AR passed, I thought it would be a good idea to provide a link to the SCOTUS Slip Opinion for the District of Columbia v. Anthony Heller. The docket number is 07-290.

Also, Gun Facts 5 is now released for those who don't know. It would be a good idea to maintain a personal copy as well as provide copies to the County Board you are proposing to (or at least to the Committee and Board Chairmen.) Here is the link to where you can download Gun Facts 5 (I chose the larger file version for best quality, meant to be redistributed.)

Good luck to all those who are pushing forward, and thank you to all of those who have been involved.

Is the information updated on the first page with the most current information? I am going to put together some packets and push them out by Friday to the Rock Island County Board, once I find the list. I will get more on top of happenings here in this county now that I am a home owner in the county (as of this past December). I apologize for not being more involved in the past and will work to correct that and hopefully get Rock Island County on board with the fun.

Is the information updated on the first page with the most current information? I am going to put together some packets and push them out by Friday to the Rock Island County Board, once I find the list. I will get more on top of happenings here in this county now that I am a home owner in the county (as of this past December). I apologize for not being more involved in the past and will work to correct that and hopefully get Rock Island County on board with the fun.

Verify the numbers at www.pro2aresolution.com. We are usually pretty good about keeping things up to date, but the pro 2a site is specific to the P2AR. It never hurts to double check your information! :ninja:

Recall one of the often-used "excuses" for not considering a county 2A resolution is appeal to the argument that "it's not county business." To counter that argument, one of the resources in this thread is a letter outlining why the 2A IS county business in Illinois, precisely because the state constitution offers no guarantee of the right to arms, and because the federal constitution as yet does not apply to state (or municipal) governments.

Today I found this article (written by a veteran and former police officer), which includes information relevant to this issue. Give it a read, or better yet, give it to county board members who are still arguing that "it's not county business."

http://cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/mayor...ice-power,1398/

Mayor Daley’s Chicago: Where Police Power is Caprice Power

By Frank Penn

Posted in Our Columns on July 21, 2008

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state: the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”—United States Constitution, second amendment of the Bill of Rights

Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.—- Constitution of the State of Illinois, Article 1, Section 22

Illinois’ 1970 Constitution provides gun grabbing counties and city councils with an invaluable mechanism so as to create two strata of gun rights in Illinois. One strata that would pass muster south of I. 80 in the more crimson part of Illinois, and another that would enable the northern regions of Illinois to infringe upon the second amendment rights of the law-abiding citizenry in cities like Evanston, Wilmette, and Chicago. The clause that enables such constitutional mischief is that pesky “subject only to the police power” in the Illinois Constitution’s Article 1, Section 22 of the Bill of Rights.

The legal term police power is an ancient concept passed on to us from the English common law, that under girds the primary and most important reason for government, that of the responsibility to promulgate law necessary for the health, morals, safety, and welfare of the populace. Black’s Law dictionary, 6th edition, p.1156 of defines police power as follows:

Police Power.

..(to) .adopt such laws and regulations as tend to prevent the commission of fraud and crime, and secure generally the comfort, safety, morals, health, and prosperity of the citizens by preserving the public order, preventing a conflict of rights in the common intercourse of the citizens, and insuring to each an uninterrupted enjoyment of all the privileges conferred upon him or her by the general laws. The power of the State to place restraints on the personal freedom and property rights of persons for the protection of the public safety, health, and morals or the promotion of the public convenience and general prosperity. The police power is subject to limitations of the federal and State constitutions, and especially to the requirement of due process. Police power is the exercise of the sovereign right of a government to promote order, safety, security, health, morals and general welfare within constitutional limits and is an essential attribute of government. Marshall v. Kansas City, Mo., 355 S.W.2d 877, 883.

Note how this definition of police power is circumscribed by the requirement to be exercised within “constitutional limits.” The supreme law of the land is the United States Constitution, not the common law provision of police power. The exercise of police power must be subordinate to the supreme dictates of the Constitution.

In the Quilici vs. Morton Grove decision, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals took the most expansive interpretation possible of the phrase “police power” in Article I, Section 22 of the Illinois Constitution and said that the right to keep and bear arms is what any particular unit of government says it is under the home rule provisions of the Illinois Constitution. The court held that Morton Grove may exercise its police power to prohibit handguns, which are widely held to be to an ordinary class of militia fire arm. For further clarification of this, read Justice Scalia’s syllabus in the US Supreme Court decision D.C. vs. Heller, page 2, section (f).

Shortly after the District of Columbia vs. Heller decision Mayor Daley held an entertaining press conference which revealed him at his illogical, incoherent, and rambling best. Amongst the other inanities, non sequiturs, and irrelevancies he spluttered, one phrase stood out. “But we have home rule.” And therein lies the tale. All of these jurisdictions have hung their hats upon the primacy of “police power” to undermine and infringe upon the second amendment rights of their citizens by banning operable handguns in their homes, as though the inalienable Right to Keep and Bear Arms was no different than prostitution, dog leash laws, anti-noise ordinances or stop sign placement. The Heller decision has provided the necessary corrective to end this injustice as the inevitable torrent of local lawsuits are filed. Here’s the money quote from the Illinois State Rifle Associations’ complaint: “By banning handguns, Defendants currently maintain and actively enforce a set of laws, customs, practices, and policies under color of state law which deprive individuals, including the Plaintiffs, of their right to keep and bear arms, in violation of the Second and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution.”

Daley wasn’t too keen on the home rule concept for Bensenville and Elk Grove Village when he took acres of land away for the expansion of O’Hare airport. Home rule for them was unimportant and didn’t matter when greater governmental interests were weighed.

Daley said: “Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society?” He left out the fact that the decision specifically states felons and the mentally ill can still be prohibited from owning firearms. The Supreme Court decision did allow for registration and licensing schemes. Daley did not mention the fact that ever since the 1968 Supreme Court decision (Haynes vs. United States) felons are specifically not required to register any firearm in their possession since that would amount to self-incrimination. Therefore registration laws can only be aimed at the law-abiding.

Daley said “The Supreme Court and Congress have no obligation to keep our country safe. It falls on the backs of mayors and local officials.”

As a retired police officer, I am well aware that police officers often fulfill the role of armed historians. This means that they often arrive at the scene of a serious crime well after the offense has occurred and prepare a report. This is not because they are not brave and dedicated to protecting the populace that they are sworn to protect, it is simply a reflection of the fact that there are too many criminals and too many opportunities for them to commit crimes against persons and property for police to be positioned to prevent crime. Most mature adults understand this, and do not reasonably expect the police to be everywhere to protect all people at all times. But it is particularly egregious when the various entities of government prohibit to the law-abiding in their very own homes the most effective means of self defense against a deadly attack in progress. To further compound the insults to our reason and intelligence Mayor Daley did not mention that ever since the 1981 Supreme Court decision of Warren vs. DC Metropolitan Police Department the courts have concluded without exception that when a municipality or other government entity undertakes to provide police services, it assumes a duty only to the public at large and NOT to individual members of the community. Illinois statute law specifically indemnifies local entities of government against lawsuits for the failure to prevent crime and apprehend criminals. Were the State of Illinois to repeal this statute and allow such lawsuits, I would be far more sanguine about the prospects of law enforcement’s ability to protect the individual members of the public.

Mayor Daley’s new police Supt. Jody Weis offered tepid support for Mayor Daley’s raging incoherence. He solemnly intoned that “the Supreme Court decision will make police officers jobs more difficult.” Supt. Weis had a distinguished career as an FBI agent. I have no doubt that in that career he looked through the FBI‘s collection of crime statistics known has the annual Uniform Crime Reports hundreds of times. One often unreported and salient fact revealed by those documents is that the overwhelming majority of homicide offenders AND their victims (who are often in possession of firearms themselves when they are killed by the offenders, often in mutual combat) are convicted felons who are presently prohibited by any number of federal, state, and local laws from even possessing, much less employing, in crime any firearm at any time.

Weis said in a Sun-Times article that 75 percent of Chicago’s murders involve firearms. So far this year, Chicago Police have responded to 15,000 “man with a gun” calls and 27,000 calls of “shots fired.” Does he really believe that allowing law abiding citizens handguns in their homes would create a significant increase of these statistics?

Finally, I have always been mystified by police officials who fear arms in the hands of the law abiding, despite the voluminous amount of data that reveals that such an armed citizenry is a net positive. But since their political masters in big cities think otherwise I guess that it is not really surprising.

Now you just knew that King Richie would have to make this reference, “Then, why don’t we do away with the court system and go back to the Old West? You have a gun and I have a gun and we’ll settle in the streets,”

The gun fight lawlessness of the West is wildly over stated. Let us briefly examine one of the most famous Old West shootouts, the Gunfight at the OK Corral, which was, when all is said, and done, a “turf war” between two rival gangs of less-than-honest cops.

The Clintons and their friends refused to disarm in the town as the Ears’ policy required them to, and the Ears and Doc Holliday were apparently waiting for an excuse to provoke a fight with the Clanton-McCauley gang of ruffians and cattle rustlers.

Furthermore, despite the “myth” surrounding the OK Corral which persists to this day, none of the participants, on either side, were actually private citizens, as all of them were, in effect, law enforcement officers of one sort or another (yes, the Clanton-Mc Laury faction were “duly deputized” Tombstone deputies at the time and Virgil Earp Brothers was a Deputy US Marshal who deputized Wyatt and the others for the gunfight).

That potentially explosive confrontation between two well armed cliques who hated each other was almost sure to end in a gunfight. But the fact that the OK Corral fight made headlines in eastern cities 2000 miles away is a good indication of how seldom such a relatively large scale gunfight actually occurred in the towns of the old west.

While it’s true that old west tent city boom towns in places where gold or silver was found experienced considerable crime and violence, the vast majority of western towns and villages of that era were virtually crime free for one or more significant reasons. Either the people were peaceful, law abiding citizens, and/or the fact that most of them were armed and able to defend themselves and their property kept violence and lawlessness to a level that any town or city in the US today would be overjoyed to achieve.

Mayor Daley probably knows nothing of this actual history nor does he care. It is merely a convenient brand upon which to inflame public sentiment against the overturning of his handgun ban. After hearing Daley and others in our ruling classes bemoaning the Heller decision with inane and absurd arguments I wondered where Illinois democratic politicians go to get their IQ’s lowered. I want to buy stock in the process since it seems to be very effective.

I conclude my article with two contrasting quotes from two very different public officials. Daley said this in regard to the Heller decision “This is a very frightening decision for America.” Now consider this quote from one of the foremost founders in reply to Hizzoner: “When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” –Thomas Jefferson

Frank Penn, a former police officer and decorated veteran of Vietnam, has written extensively on the 2nd amendment for The Chicago Daily Observer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last update: 6-9-2009 1:17pm

(The Previous Archived Thread is here: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5136 )

91 - Counties have passed resolution

0 - On Board Agenda

0 - Anti 2a

11 - Unknown

Numbers from Coach

91 Counties

% of IL counties green..........................89.21%

%of total population green.....................35.76%

% of state FOIDs in green counties.........56.90%

% of pop in green counties with FOID......14.40%

(% of total population with FOID...............9.04%

How can I help?

Read here and contact the members below:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7140

http://www.pro2aresolution.com/

Remaining Counties and those working on them or to contact to offer help

Champaign - (Coach)

Cook

DeKalb

DuPage – (Lou, Ishmo and Big Chris)

Lake – (Jim Stewart)

Madison

Marshall

Sangamon

St. Clair

Stark

Whiteside

post-849-1244571355.gif

I think this might be the appropriate place to post a letter I received today from the Mayor of Champaign.

Those that have been around this site awhile are well aware of the problems we have had with Champaign County. Without going into past history suffice to say that the Champaign county Board Chairman, Pius Weibel by name, has been the "Emil Jones" in action in Champaign County.

A young man by the name of Anthony Pomonis announced his candidacy for the chair on the CC Board occupied by Mr. Weibel. Early on, I asked his position on the 2nd Amendment. He is in complete support!

There are 2 seats in Dist 7 up for grabs. Both are presently occupied by Dems/Liberals. If Tony gets just one of those, it's a +! And of course, after the election, Board officers will be up for grabs!

Anyway, here's the letter I received today from the Mayor of the city of Champaign: The address is handwritten, with the return address his home address.)

I think this might be the appropriate place to post a letter I received today from the Mayor of Champaign.

Those that have been around this site awhile are well aware of the problems we have had with Champaign County. Without going into past history suffice to say that the Champaign county Board Chairman, Pius Weibel by name, has been the "Emil Jones" in action in Champaign County.

A young man by the name of Anthony Pomonis announced his candidacy for the chair on the CC Board occupied by Mr. Weibel. Early on, I asked his position on the 2nd Amendment. He is in complete support!

There are 2 seats in Dist 7 up for grabs. Both are presently occupied by Dems/Liberals. If Tony gets just one of those, it's a +! And of course, after the election, Board officers will be up for grabs!

Anyway, here's the letter I received today from the Mayor of the city of Champaign: The address is handwritten, with the return address his home address.)

I sure as heck like that, "...limited government" part!

Hi Coach,

As you may or may not know while I live in Edgar Co. I do work in Champaign county and have a lot of friends up here. Could you send me a copy of that letter via email so I could then forward it to my like minded friends of Champaign Co.?

pm me for e-mail address

DL,

Hi Coach,

As you may or may not know while I live in Edgar Co. I do work in Champaign county and have a lot of friends up here. Could you send me a copy of that letter via email so I could then forward it to my like minded friends of Champaign Co.?

pm me for e-mail address

DL,

DL,

Just right click on the image in coach's post, save it to your file with whatever name you want and you should have it.

I think it'll work.

UAB

Hi Coach,

pm me for e-mail address

DL,

DL,

Just right click on the image in coach's post, save it to your file with whatever name you want and you should have it.

I think it'll work.

UAB

Thanks, Abolt!!!

If it doesn't work, let me know!

Any news on if some of the Antis in Lake County are in trouble of losing their seats? I will double my efforts with Dupage after the election. I was in contact with two board members who support it, but both are in very close races. I kind of have the feeling they do not want to touch a hot button topic before a close election.

• 2 weeks later...

This is for Molly B. and anyone else who is maintaining a record of the P2AR for individual Counties. On the Second image, the list of who voted for what is the only column with any "Nay" votes. Or you could match the Resolution numbers between the two images. Same results either way.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/tplane37/P2AR-MaconCounty1.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/tplane37/P2AR-MaconCounty-Votes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The Pro 2A Resolution website has on its' main page the following:

"Lake County Pro Second Amendment Resolution

to be brought before the County Board on,

Tuesday, November 18th 2008, at 9 am,

at 18 N. County St. 10th Floor Waukegan IL 60085"

A core group of people goes before the board and petitions them to consider the resolution.

apparently at this last one, some of the board members said it's not board business.

Yet, the board apparently has sent recommendations for gun control down to springfield.

A core group of people goes before the board and petitions them to consider the resolution.

apparently at this last one, some of the board members said it's not board business.

Yet, the board apparently has sent recommendations for gun control down to springfield.

So what happened at the Lake County Board meeting this week?

• 2 weeks later...

so tell me more on this recommendations stuff

We had about 10 people at the board meeting 3 were allowed to speek and 3 had there 1st Amendment rights restricted

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I was in contact with two members of the Dupage County Board about the resolution and I even spoke with the head of the legislative committee? on the phone. Both members (Sheahan and Redick) sounded supportive and I had been in contact with them for a while. They told me they would talk it over with other board members and let me know.

It has been months now, and neither has returned any of my emails or calls! I wonder what happend? Maybe they decided the resolution was too much of a hot button to touch? If thats the case, it is a real shame.

• 2 weeks later...

So I contacted the first Democrat (there is now another) and the youngest person to ever be elected to the county board about the resolution. And it sounds like they support it!

Here was our convo...

Mr. Michelassi

First I would like to say congratulations for your victory on

November 4th (it is good to see another College of Dupage graduate

succeed), and I am sure you will serve the interests of Dupage residents

well.

I have been in contact with some other members of the county board

concerning a pro second amendment resolution for Dupage County.

Currently, 87 of the 102 Illinois counties have passed this resolution

in support of our constitution. The most recent county to pass the

resolution are our neighbors to the South in Will County. The resolution

was passed almost unanimously in Will County.

This resolution is important because it stands up for

constitutional principles (especially the ones under constant attack)

and that we still are a nation of law and order. With the governor

scandal, this is more important than ever.

It would be nice to see a bi-partisan effort by the county board to

stand up for the rights of every day people to defend themselves and

their family. Our own represenative Congress Women Judy Biggert signed a

bi-partisan amicus brief along with over 300 members of Congress in

support of the second amendment during the DC vs Heller case over the

summer.

I hope that you will consider supporting such a resolution that

stands up for the people of not just the county, but all Illinois'

residents. Thank you for your time.

-johnyt

His responce

Mr. johnyt,

Thank you for approaching me about the Second Amendment resolution.

This was first brought to my attention by a fellow Board Member and I

must say it is an interesting idea. I would like to see the full text

of the resolution as it would be proposed; if you could supply that to

me I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Tony Michelassi

So you Dupage guys start the emails and I will send him a copy of the resolution.

Archived