How to apply for FOID for underage grandson

I know some have gone through this before so Id like to know what information is needed for applying for a FOID card for my grandson who is 10. His mom will complete form. Thanks. Edited by spec5

I know some have gone through this before so Id like to know what information is needed for applying for a FOID card for my grandson who is 10. His mom will complete form. Thanks.

https://ispfsb.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

FOID Frequently Asked Questions

3. Minor Applicants

- Can I apply for a FOID Card if I am not 21 years of age?

- If I am not 21 years of age, but I am married, can my spouse sign as my sponsor?

- If I am not 21 years of age, my parents are not living, but I am over the age of 18, can I apply for a FOID Card?

- If the minor applicant cannot sign the application, can the parent sign it?

Edited by InterestedBystander

I know some have gone through this before so Id like to know what information is needed for applying for a FOID card for my grandson who is 10. His mom will complete form. Thanks.

https://ispfsb.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

FOID Frequently Asked Questions

3. Minor Applicants

Can I apply for a FOID Card if I am not 21 years of age?

If I am not 21 years of age, but I am married, can my spouse sign as my sponsor?

If I am not 21 years of age, my parents are not living, but I am over the age of 18, can I apply for a FOID Card?

If the minor applicant cannot sign the application, can the parent sign it?

Thanks so much. Now his mom will have to take him to the DMV to get a state ID. She is challenging him to get all As and maybe a B on his report card for an incentive. Thanks again Edited by spec5

I believe that minors without ID's or DL's are the exception to the SoS/DMV photo use, and requires a paper application, but I may be mistaken.

When I read required to apply this is what it said. They didn't say however how to send the signed affidavit from the parent. So maybe a paper application is the way to do it.

1 A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.

2 A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.

3 $10.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

Hi, I JUST applied for my daughter (age 7). She does not currently have a state ID. This is a better deal as you pay $10 for a 10 year ID vs $10 for a 5 year state ID. Not to mention all the benefits of having the FOID. I believe if the minor currently has a state ID you can do it over the web access portal. Otherwise you have to call the ISP number and do the application over the phone for a minor. The number is: 217-782-7980. Once you speak with an agent, they will take the necessary information and then mail you two separate items. One will be the FOID application which will have a spot for his mother (as the sponsor) to sign as well as the applicant. If the applicant cannot sign, you will need to send a birth certificate, I believe. The second form is a minor affidavit form. His mother (as the sponsor) will need to sign this and have it notarized. They will take the payment initially over the phone as well. If you do not have a state ID, you will need to include a picture to use as well. I used a passport photo for my daughter which was taken at Walgreens.

Once complete, send them back to the address on the envelope and wait....that's the part I am at so I can't give you my experience on time to completion, but should be the 30 day window...should be.... I literally dropped it in the mail this morning so I'm hoping to have it in a month.

Hope that helps!

Edit: clarified that his mother is the sponsor and not you.

Edited by Scipio24

Hi, I JUST applied for my daughter (age 7). She does not currently have a state ID. This is a better deal as you pay $10 for a 10 year ID vs $10 for a 5 year state ID. Not to mention all the benefits of having the FOID. I believe if the minor currently has a state ID you can do it over the web access portal. Otherwise you have to call the ISP number and do the application over the phone for a minor. The number is: 217-782-7980. Once you speak with an agent, they will take the necessary information and then mail you two separate items. One will be the FOID application which will have a spot for his mother (as the sponsor) to sign as well as the applicant. If the applicant cannot sign, you will need to send a birth certificate, I believe. The second form is a minor affidavit form. His mother (as the sponsor) will need to sign this and have it notarized. They will take the payment initially over the phone as well. If you do not have a state ID, you will need to include a picture to use as well. I used a passport photo for my daughter which was taken at Walgreens.

Once complete, send them back to the address on the envelope and wait....that's the part I am at so I can't give you my experience on time to completion, but should be the 30 day window...should be.... I literally dropped it in the mail this morning so I'm hoping to have it in a month.

Hope that helps!

It sure does help thanks. I will pass on the information.

Hope that helps!

Sounds like the same process when my son was 10. That was 13 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sure does help thanks. I will pass on the information.

Does his mom have a FOID? If not, a perfect time to get one.

Also JCAR info on sponsoring a minorhttp://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001230sections.html

Thanks again. You guys are great. I know she did I'll have to check if it's current. Edited by spec5

I think Scipio24 already answered your questions. But I signed up my 3 year-old for a FOID this year. I had to call the ISP phone # and do a paper application, as the electronic one wasn't a viable option w/o state ID. However, it was no big deal to do it over the phone. The person I spoke with was helpful and they knew how the process works.

The process was:

1. Call ISP and provide information on minor over the phone

2. They send you a pre-filled out paper application

3. Attach photo and check. Send it.

4. Get FOID in mail.

I want to say the entire process took maybe 2-3 months or so from start to finish. A little longer, but not egregious.

Dont recall exact legislation but there are some regulations regarding children under 14 having access to a firearm and if involved in a shooting guardian has some relief iirc.

Edit:

"720 ILCS 5/24-9)

Sec. 24-9. Firearms; Child Protection.

(a) Except as provided in subsection ©, it is unlawful for any person to store or leave, within premises under his or her control, a firearm if the person knows or has reason to believe that a minor under the age of 14 years who does not have a Firearm Owners Identification Card is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, and the minor causes death or great bodily harm with the firearm, unless the firearm is:

(1) secured by a device or mechanism, other than the

firearm safety, designed to render a firearm temporarily inoperable; or

(2) placed in a securely locked box or container; or

(3) placed in some other location that a reasonable

person would believe to be secure from a minor under the age of 14 years."

Edited by InterestedBystander

This may sound ignorant, and I apologize in advance. But what are the advantages of getting a FOID for a person under the age of 18? They cannot purchase a gun or amo. They can’t shoot at a range by them selfs. Again. Sorry for the ignorance, just curios. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to the points mentioned by InterestedBystander, the FOID is a state issued ID that is good for 10 years. The cost is $10. A state issued ID from the DMV is $10 but only lasts for 5 years.

This may sound ignorant, and I apologize in advance. But what are the advantages of getting a FOID for a person under the age of 18? They cannot purchase a gun or amo. They can’t shoot at a range by them selfs. Again. Sorry for the ignorance, just curios. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to the points mentioned by InterestedBystander, the FOID is a state issued ID that is good for 10 years. The cost is $10. A state issued ID from the DMV is $10 but only lasts for 5 years.

It also gives them a head start on what's involved in being a responsible, (Illinois) law-abiding gun owner.

IMO, there are two advantages:

1. Per the language in 720 ILCS 5/24-9(a) if your minor child has a FOID, that legal restriction doesn't apply. (Regarding firearm access: Of course you need to follow safe procedures anyway, but it's good to not have the severe legal penalty hanging over your head.)

2. Using this process to get your child more interested in firearm rights.

For me, it was mostly for the fun of it at this point. When my daughter is older, it'll actually matter more.

• 8 months later...
My grandsons mom has tried to get a FOID for him for months and gave up to try again. After trying again she still is caught in a loop. The call is answered with a message to have all the information needed they she waits and the message says all agents are busy and they hang up. What can she do?. Edited by spec5

My grandsons mom has tried to get a FOID for him for months and gave up to try again. After trying again she still is caught in a loop. The call is answered with a message to have all the information needed they she waits and the message says all agents are busy and they hang up. What can she do?.

Update:

She stated the process online.

• 1 month later...

So if they are 16 do you just file through the portal on the isp site? Create a account and go from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use the portal. Get the guardian affidavit notarized and send to the ISP. My grandson was 11. When you put in the birthdate it goes to the affidavit part. Follow the instructions.

So if they are 16 do you just file through the portal on the isp site? Create a account and go from there?

Use the portal. Get the guardian affidavit notarized and send to the ISP. My grandson was 11. When you put in the birthdate it goes to the affidavit part. Follow the instructions.

Awesome thanks for the info!