Current FOID wait times...

SCARLETfrost

Rep. Mike Bost

Sen. Dave Leuchtefeld

I am running out of days on my FOID, and I told these folks that.. My spouse has one.

With FOID renewal being several years apart, and not thinking of having a problem renewing..I assumed that 2+ months of lead time would suffice.

PM sent.

T

Rep. Mike Bost

Sen. Dave Leuchtefeld

Really!!!! Two friends of the 2A. Not sure what's going on here. I figured you'd say Kotowski and Mulligan!!! You're clear at the other end of the state from them!!

I

My rep and state senator. You should expect your FOID card soon. Mike has introduced LTC legislation in the past.

Well, I got a callback from Bost's office today, stating that my FOID was processed yesterday. It came in the evening mail today. I will say that the staff at my Rep's and Sen's office stayed on this and called each day about this until it got resolved.

Mike Bost is first rate we'd have had LTC years ago if we had a super majority of reps like him. Dave Luechtefeld is pro-2A too. So how many days from when the check cashing did it take?

Interesting article by Phil Kadner of the Southtown Star on his attempt at getting a FOID card. Even more interesting are some of the comments from ISP spokeswoman Monique Bond, nice of her to put all the problems on record at the start of this ILGA session. Kadner's comment on his personal experience sounds familiar to a lot of us.

I think I'll send him a note on how to go about this :rofl:

In addition, people calling the state police to ask why they haven't received their FOID cards are put on hold for as long as 35 minutes, if they're lucky enough to get through to an answering machine that puts them on hold. I tried the number 12 times, received a busy signal 11 of those times and got the answering machine once. After 20 minutes on hold, I hung up.

Under law, the state has 30 days to process FOID card requests. I've been waiting 50 days for a response to my application.

In an email responding to my questions about FOID cards, Bond stated, "The FOID application process is involved and extends beyond completing initial paperwork. "Background checks, name verifications, criminal history information and other mandated criminal justice applications must be thoroughly verified. This verification process could take up to 2 to 8 weeks.

"There is no time frame that be placed on obtaining this information, and compromising any of these systems would result in a breach of public safety."

Why can't Illinois citizens get through to the FOID answering system in a reasonable amount of time?

"Depending on the time of the call, there have been lengthy waits," Bond replied.

"We are in the process of reviewing a more automated system. Although callers have had difficulty getting through, the application process is still ongoing and usually the cards have already been processed. So far, we have only been running about 3 to 4 weeks behind the required 30-day period."

As for the rifle association's claim that the governor is failing to fully staff the FOID card processing center, Bond said, "Like government agencies across the country, we are challenged with doing more with less in all departments within the ISP. More than 50 percent of the applications without criminal issues are processed and mailed within one week of being received.

"The backlog is a result of those applications that require more scrutiny. Again, we cannot compromise public safety."

Kadner: Police can't follow law on FOID card requests

So it is ok for them to break the law because it is soooo hard to check everyone out. :)

They break the law because when the law was written it mandated a 30 turnaround but there were no penalties added for them not following the law.

Remember - this is Illinois and they can do as they please.

Interesting article by Phil Kadner of the Southtown Star on his attempt at getting a FOID card. Even more interesting are some of the comments from ISP spokeswoman Monique Bond, nice of her to put all the problems on record at the start of this ILGA session. Kadner's comment on his personal experience sounds familiar to a lot of us.

I think I'll send him a note on how to go about this :)

In addition, people calling the state police to ask why they haven't received their FOID cards are put on hold for as long as 35 minutes, if they're lucky enough to get through to an answering machine that puts them on hold. I tried the number 12 times, received a busy signal 11 of those times and got the answering machine once. After 20 minutes on hold, I hung up.

Under law, the state has 30 days to process FOID card requests. I've been waiting 50 days for a response to my application.

In an email responding to my questions about FOID cards, Bond stated, "The FOID application process is involved and extends beyond completing initial paperwork. "Background checks, name verifications, criminal history information and other mandated criminal justice applications must be thoroughly verified. This verification process could take up to 2 to 8 weeks.

"There is no time frame that be placed on obtaining this information, and compromising any of these systems would result in a breach of public safety."

Why can't Illinois citizens get through to the FOID answering system in a reasonable amount of time?

"Depending on the time of the call, there have been lengthy waits," Bond replied.

"We are in the process of reviewing a more automated system. Although callers have had difficulty getting through, the application process is still ongoing and usually the cards have already been processed. So far, we have only been running about 3 to 4 weeks behind the required 30-day period."

As for the rifle association's claim that the governor is failing to fully staff the FOID card processing center, Bond said, "Like government agencies across the country, we are challenged with doing more with less in all departments within the ISP. More than 50 percent of the applications without criminal issues are processed and mailed within one week of being received.

"The backlog is a result of those applications that require more scrutiny. Again, we cannot compromise public safety."

Kadner: Police can't follow law on FOID card requests

What a bunch of BS "50% of applications without criminal issues are processed and mailed within one week of being received" My wifes took over a month and she had not so much as a traffic ticket! Mine took about a month, 3 weeks more than the Pa LTC. It must have been my speeding ticket 5 years before!

My check cleared 12/9/2011. I have still not received my FOID. I contacted Senator Dave Syverson via email and a very nice lady from his office called to get my birth date. She called back a day later, after she got ahold of the FOID folks, to inform me that "they were just printing your FOID today, expect it in 7 to 10 days". I said, "what a coincidence!" and she laughed. I thanked her for her help.

Seriously, this is ridiculous! Who knows how long it would take without a phone call.

My check cleared 12/9/2011. I have still not received my FOID. I contacted Senator Dave Syverson via email and a very nice lady from his office called to get my birth date. She called back a day later, after she got ahold of the FOID folks, to inform me that "they were just printing your FOID today, expect it in 7 to 10 days". I said, "what a coincidence!" and she laughed. I thanked her for her help.

Seriously, this is ridiculous! Who knows how long it would take without a phone call.

Thus, the admonition to call on the 31st day. Hopefully, someday, the ISP will tire of getting called by legislators and the legislators will get tired of being called by constituents on this issue.

Thus, the admonition to call on the 31st day. Hopefully, someday, the ISP will tire of getting called by legislators and the legislators will get tired of being called by constituents on this issue.

Some good news on this topic for a change! I sent in my whole family's FOID applications at the same time, mailed on Jan 20th, and received all 5 today, Feb 6th. I used the on-line form that you can fill out and print, so there was no question of delay because they could not read the entries. Granted, our last name is not a common one, and we have all had FOIDs in the past, but I think that 17 days including mail time is pretty good. Evidently, when it's easy, they can do it right.

I also used the online form and mailed my FOID renewal on Dec. 1. My check cleared Dec. 9. I contacted State Senator Dave Syverson's office Jan. 26 and they contacted the FOID office on my behalf. They FOID folks said they were just printing my FOID that day. What a coincidence! I received my FOID in yesterday's mail, Feb 6.

On a side note, why do they keep requiring us to send in pictures when they're going to use our driver's license picture anyway?

I also used the online form and mailed my FOID renewal on Dec. 1. My check cleared Dec. 9. I contacted State Senator Dave Syverson's office Jan. 26 and they contacted the FOID office on my behalf. They FOID folks said they were just printing my FOID that day. What a coincidence! I received my FOID in yesterday's mail, Feb 6.

On a side note, why do they keep requiring us to send in pictures when they're going to use our driver's license picture anyway?

The are bureaucrats that is the way its always been done don't ask them to be logical. Requiring you to send in a picture with the application makes it a little harder for you to get the FOID card.

The reason for the photo request is to reduce fraud. Because you can do this by mail it's to reduce the chance of a felon from sending in someone else s information with the felons photo. They compare the photo you send in with the DL photo on file.

• 2 weeks later...

check cashed yesterday, 30 days starts. I used the online form as well, lets hope it goes smooth.

And yes they use your DL/State ID pics for the ID's. They only use that photo to make sure it matches the photo in there system, which is why i just copy the photo off my license and send it in.

So check was cashed on February 6th, received card today February 18th.

I'm jealous of you guys' response times!

I mailed my application (not renewal) in on Jan. 17th, they cashed the check on the 20th, I'm still waiting :whistle:

I called my rep, the aide took all my info and told me their current wait time is 50 days, clearly you guys are beating their wait time by a lot.

Who's your rep? You need to call them back and explain that the law says it will be issued in 30 days!

Archived