Snowing in the editorial offices at the Trib: CCW in a good light

mikew

It's really great to see somone who has been opposed to self defence in the past decide that it's not so bad after all when law abiding citizens save their own lives or others. This was a well-written and reasoned article, and it sounds authentic. My guess is that she still doesn't really care for guns but does see the utitilty now. :)

And more imporatntly, Thank goodness that the young woman had the ability to save her own life! Another life saved by CCW!!!

It's really great to see somone who has been opposed to self defence in the past decide that it's not so bad after all when law abiding citizens save their own lives or others. This was a well-written and reasoned article, and it sounds authentic. My guess is that she still doesn't really care for guns but does see the utitilty now. :)

And more imporatntly, Thank goodness that the young woman had the ability to save her own life! Another life saved by CCW!!!

There is a pro-2nd Amendment shift going on in the city of Chicago, and we'd be wise to pay attention and work with these allies to our advantage.

Anecdotally: I was recently on a plane with a self-proclaimed community organizer who lives in Bronzeville on the near south side, and we talked a lot about politics over the course of the trip. One thing that stood out to me, is that she admitted that her roommmate had gotten a gun, and that she felt safer with it around. People in the city are becoming more comfortable around guns, and I have even talked to anti-2nd amendment politicians who have admitted that they are not anti-gun in private.

These are opportunities, and we need to think about how to strategically neuter JBs anti-gun agenda, and there are some pretty obvious ways to go about that IMHO.

There is a pro-2nd Amendment shift going on in the city of Chicago, and we'd be wise to pay attention and work with these allies to our advantage.

Anecdotally: I was recently on a plane with a self-proclaimed community organizer who lives in Bronzeville on the near south side, and we talked a lot about politics over the course of the trip. One thing that stood out to me, is that she admitted that her roommmate had gotten a gun, and that she felt safer with it around. People in the city are becoming more comfortable around guns, and I have even talked to anti-2nd amendment politicians who have admitted that they are not anti-gun in private.

These are opportunities, and we need to think about how to strategically neuter JBs anti-gun agenda, and there are some pretty obvious ways to go about that IMHO.

Yes, there are opportunities.

I'm sure a lot of us have deeply held political beliefs. And I'm not suggesting that anyone betray those. What I would suggest is that in those areas where our cause can be advanced by reaching (for our cause) across the divide, we should do so.

I would also point out that A LOT of gun owners in this state are probably un-engaged concerning these issues. We need to awaken this "sleeping giant", not insult it.

One thing that stood out to me, is that she admitted that her roommmate had gotten a gun, and that she felt safer with it around. People in the city are becoming more comfortable around guns, and I have even talked to anti-2nd amendment politicians who have admitted that they are not anti-gun in private.

The anti-gun playing field is awash in hypocrites.

One thing that stood out to me, is that she admitted that her roommmate had gotten a gun, and that she felt safer with it around. People in the city are becoming more comfortable around guns, and I have even talked to anti-2nd amendment politicians who have admitted that they are not anti-gun in private.

We could call them hypocrites, or we can talk to them as people and gain their trust and help in adjusting and fighting the anti-gun agenda. We're outnumbered in this state, I'm not so willing to quickly throw someone under the bus that could be a potential ally.

We could call them hypocrites, or we can talk to them as people and gain their trust and help in adjusting and fighting the anti-gun agenda. We're outnumbered in this state, I'm not so willing to quickly throw someone under the bus that could be a potential ally.

If theyre voting anti-gun but are not anti-gun in private, they are not your friends. Theyre hypocrites.

Now, this is an opportunity, as if theyre trying to get away from the anti-Gun crowd, perhaps some evidence of the dishonest and vile tactics they use could give them an out

Name names. Who are they?

Name names. Who are they? We need to call them out and make them vote with their actual beliefs

The best example is one of my two state reps (I've spoken with both on 2nd A issues). I'm not going to declare what district I live in, and I don't think "outing her" is going to help our cause. What I can tell you is that she talked to me for 45 minutes on the phone, and told me that she'd have guns in the house if she didn't have young children there. I told her that in my opinion, that's a great reason to have guns, and she said she hadn't thought of it that way. I offered to take her shooting, and I'm going to make that offer again, once this legislative session begins in earnest.

If theyre voting anti-gun but are not anti-gun in private, they are not your friends. Theyre hypocrites.

Now, this is an opportunity, as if theyre trying to get away from the anti-Gun crowd, perhaps some evidence of the dishonest and vile tactics they use could give them an out

I'm not saying that their votes aren't hypocritical, but if you want to ensure preservation as a legislator in NE IL, you vote with the machine, and you don't stray from the pack. You'd rather feed them to the wolves, I'd prefer to discuss it with people and treat them as a somewhat flawed human being, as we all are.

A difference of opinion is what we have here.

Name names. Who are they?

Name names. Who are they? We need to call them out and make them vote with their actual beliefs

The best example is one of my two state reps (I've spoken with both on 2nd A issues). I'm not going to declare what district I live in, and I don't think "outing her" is going to help our cause. What I can tell you is that she talked to me for 45 minutes on the phone, and told me that she'd have guns in the house if she didn't have young children there. I told her that in my opinion, that's a great reason to have guns, and she said she hadn't thought of it that way. I offered to take her shooting, and I'm going to make that offer again, once this legislative session begins in earnest.

Good deal. I hope she takes you up on it

I posted about this just a little while ago in the Crime on the CTA/Mass Transit . . . Reports and Data thread.

As several people noted on here, if that woman had not made the decision to break the law in order to be able to protect her safety, she might well have died.

Also, it needs to be said that the now-dead robber most likely targeted her because of the well-known fact that you are not legally allowed to carry a concealed, loaded, and thus ready-to-protect-yourself-with firearm on CTA buses.

Which is why it is an ABSOLUTE necessity that stupid prohibition be removed, and cases—including this one that show the necessity for being able to be armed while waiting for public transportation, while on public transportation, and while disembarking from transportation—should be trumpeted loudly and unavoidably as examples of that need.

I've seen reports of many people who are targeted getting on and off public transportation, and I know a few people who have CCLs who have been targeted in such situations. Fortunately for them, they have figured out how to do quick FOID-carry-to-CCL-carry switches, and the would-be assailants decided it was wiser to disengage their attacks.

I posted about this just a little while ago in the Crime on the CTA/Mass Transit . . . Reports and Data thread.

As several people noted on here, if that woman had not made the decision to break the law in order to be able to protect her safety, she might well have died.

Also, it needs to be said that the now-dead robber most likely targeted her because of the well-known fact that you are not legally allowed to carry a concealed, loaded, and thus ready-to-protect-yourself-with firearm on CTA buses.

Which is why it is an ABSOLUTE necessity that stupid prohibition be removed, and casesincluding this one that show the necessity for being able to be armed while waiting for public transportation, while on public transportation, and while disembarking from transportationshould be trumpeted loudly and unavoidably as examples of that need.

I've seen reports of many people who are targeted getting on and off public transportation, and I know a few people who have CCLs who have been targeted in such situations. Fortunately for them, they have figured out how to do quick FOID-carry-to-CCL-carry switches, and the would-be assailants decided it was wiser to disengage their attacks.

That's exactly why criminals love and carry out their attacks in gun free zones. Apparently she was carrying to work too and ignoring the law. I don't blame her when her life was in danger and she could have been raped and killed too and is alive because she didn't follow the law.

Which is why it is an ABSOLUTE necessity that stupid prohibition be removed, and casesincluding this one that show the necessity for being able to be armed while waiting for public transportation, while on public transportation, and while disembarking from transportationshould be trumpeted loudly and unavoidably as examples of that need.

That's exactly why criminals love and carry out their attacks in gun free zones. Apparently she was carrying to work too and ignoring the law. I don't blame her when her life was in danger and she could have been raped and killed too and is alive because she didn't follow the law.

This is one of the reasons I have tried even on my own to get some sort of legal challenge against that absurd, murder-bait obscenity of a statute. Unfortunately, the Second Amendment attorney that I discussed it with wouldn't take the case because it wasn't with multiple plaintiffs.

At one point, I was contacted by the folks on here to potentially be part of a case to challenge the public transportation crime victim targeting zone law, but that was well over a year ago and then I never heard anything more about it.

Archived