It has Begun SB 3637 taxing ammo

chancemccall

IT HAS BEGUN :

SB3637 11/07/2018 Senator Julie A. Morrison (D) 29th District and Senator Jacqueline Y. Collins (D) 16th District Majority Caucus Whip have introduced an ammo tax bill. From reading it, I'm guessing it is a shell or markup bill that will fleshed out when it hits the final committee. The camel's nose is under the tent.

Text is up in PDF, it's small, but it's small additions to large blocks of text.

$0.01 per round of ammo tax starting July 1, 2019

Amends the State Finance Act to create the Community Mental Health Services Fund as a special fund in the State treasury. Provides that moneys in the Community Mental Health Services Fund shall be used to assist, support, and establish community-based mental health providers and programs. Amends the Use Tax Act, the Service Use Tax Act, the Service Occupation Tax Act, and the Retailers' Occupation Tax Act. Imposes a surcharge of $0.01 per cartridge or shell on firearm ammunition. Provides that moneys from the surcharge shall be deposited into the Community Mental Health Services Fund. Effective immediately.

Filed November 7, 2018

Can they force online retailers to collect a state tax on ammo ? ...

I ordered stuff online last month, and the new state tax got ignored. If an online business isn't already paying the tax, I'd say the ammo tax will also get ignored.

There's stuff other states have done to stop that, but Illinois hasn't yet.

They only have to charge sales tax if they do X amount of transactions per year with IL residents. Could be they haven't hit that number yet or never will.

But I think online retailers will legally have to collect sales taxes for IL when selling to IL residents, eventually. From what I understand that's what the final court ruling was.

My question however is more about an ammo tax though. Is it regarded the same as sales tax ? Will it legally have to be collected just the same ?

Will the state just make this all a moot point and ban the online sales of ammunition to IL residents like some other anti gun states have done ? Tune in next week to find out I guess...

For those who aren't paying attention, the whole goal of these taxes is to drive people out of business.

How many people know someone who still buys ammo in Crook County? The only people I've heard buying ammo are those that never heard of the tax, but that was the last time they bought ammo in the county. In turn, we see fewer big box chains carrying as much stock as they once did.

It's just drying up an additional source of revenue for retailers.

The stupidity of the left, if in fact their goal is to actually stop people from being killed in the lower income areas, is that even if you get rid of every gun shop in the state, they're still going to get guns and ammo. I however don't believe they care about the people being killed, and their only interest is making Illinois a gun free state. Not for safety, but just for the sake of saying "we did something". Gangbangers will continue to murder one another long after the last gun shop in Illinois packs up their business and moves elsewhere.

As I've mentioned in other threads....this state is done. It's time to move and leave this state to rich liberals, and the people that leech off of them.

Indiana about 20 minutes away.................

Unless you're a renter, the time to move was years ago. Home values in Indiana are skyrocketing, while they are swirling the bowl in IL. It's going to be hard to sell in IL and not take a big hit.

Not only in Indiana, but Iowa, Michigan, and even Wisconsin. We've been looking for a year (window shopping, as they say) Meantime, our local market here where I'm at is still pretty potent if you price your home properly, they're moving quickly. Those who live in the fantasy world and price them in the sky are still sitting and waiting. I have a few friends down in Tn. They've told me the influx of Illinois folks over the last 2 years has been mind boggling. My wife has laid the law down over here. Even though I really want to get out of here, reality tells me, it's not happening. You guys know the drill, happy wife = happy life. Meanwhile, I've already started ordering 10 round mags for my 15, 17,and 20 round pistols. Dear Lord, this is going to be interesting. Have a great week everyone, be safe.

Unless you're a renter, the time to move was years ago. Home values in Indiana are skyrocketing, while they are swirling the bowl in IL. It's going to be hard to sell in IL and not take a big hit.

Noticed that also. At 72 years old with a paid off house I will only move if I can find something for close or less than I can sell my house for. When I look at property in Indiana compared to what I have I would have to take a good step down to stay in a comparable price range. Jim.

In this current session, I would hope for a Rauner veto if it passes. Kind of surprised filing it now. Why not wait for new governor and new ILGA session in January?

This way, JB can swoop in and "save the day" when it gets vetoed... It's all about the optics.

JB ran on "mental health care" and apparently this is how he's going to try to pay for it, even though there's no way it will generate enough money.

The city has been rising steadily since 2008. Not sure where you chose to live, but the boonies often don't hold their value well.

In this current session, I would hope for a Rauner veto if it passes. Kind of surprised filing it now. Why not wait for new governor and new ILGA session in January?

My guess is this both a trial bill intended to count the support and the opposition and a shell bill they can change and add to. The one cent tax is an example. That will change when it gets to final committee as will many other things. It allows the anti gunners and leadership to see where things stand in the Senate. The House is already anti gun veto proof.

The bill may not move very much in the Veto Session, but it serves a purpose.

And yes, by making it a tax they can require many online retailers to comply using the same system they use with tobacco products. See the JB thread for discussion on this.

What many Illinoisans might not realize is that shell bills are loaded guns. They put residents at risk of laws that would never pass through a measured, deliberative process of open debate.

In simple terms, shell bills allow lawmakers to forget about the transparency required in the typical legislative process. Shell bills mean nothing until they mean everything. And by then, it’s usually too late for citizens to do anything.

Knowing the nastiness of shell bills requires knowledge of how a bill becomes a law in Illinois. A quick primer:
First, a lawmaker introduces a bill. Let’s say this lawmaker is a state representative, so the bill is introduced in the House. The bill then heads to the House Rules Committee, which is supposed to send the bill to the appropriate committee for a hearing. (If Madigan doesn’t like a bill, this doesn’t happen. But that’s another column.)
House rules require six days’ notice before a bill is heard in committee. This standard transparency measure gives lawmakers and the public time to examine the bill and voice their opinions. But this posting requirement doesn’t apply to amendments. Amendments only need to be posted one hour before a hearing. Remember that.
Once in committee, a bill will receive a hearing and a vote, and maybe an amendment on the way. If committee members approve, the bill heads to the House floor.
The bill then gets a reading on the House floor in front of every state representative. That’s called a “second reading.” Representatives get a chance to suggest amendments during the second reading. If the House votes to approve an amendment, that amendment heads back to committee for debate and a vote.
After second reading, the bill gets a third reading and a vote from the full House. Representatives vote up or down to send the bill to the Senate to go through a similar process.
All of this may seem wonky, and it is. Legislating should be slow. It should be open. It should be difficult.
Shell bills fly in the face of all that.
Simply amend a do-nothing shell bill once it reaches the final stages of approval and the wheels are set in motion. Within hours, lawmakers can effectively introduce a new bill and pass it through the House, Senate and get the governor’s signature. The mere one-hour posting requirement for amendments comes in handy here.

This tax will result in a loss of revenue for the State of Illinois and will not reduce violence or crime one iota. The only thing it will accomplish is make the left feel better about themselves for "doing something" and it will make gun owners angry. Making gun owners angry in this idiot state really doesn't carry any ramifications for elected officials.

So, that's that.

Dear ISRA Member,

On Tuesday November 13 the Illinois General Assembly will begin the first Veto Session.

On November 7th, the day after the Midterm Elections, Senator Julie Morrison (D -29 Deerfield) introduced SB3637 an Ammo Tax Bill. The bill is presently in Senate Assignments but could go to Committee at anytime. We will keep you posted but this is the foreboding of things to come.

Please forward this every way you can. We have been shut down from boosting our posts on Facebook and other social media platforms. If you receive this alert and are not an ISRA Member, please join at once.

Yours very truly,

Richard A. Pearson

Executive Director

Anyone know more about their social media shutdown?

Archived