Grabagun asking do I want my gun shipped with no mags or cancel the order. Who respects preemption?

Ultralisk

Your state has restrictions on firearms with high capacity magazines. Please reply back and confirm how you would like to proceed with this order:

1) We will remove the magazines from the order before shipping.

2) We will cancel your order and refund in full.

Please note that we do not offer swaps, replacements, or credits of magazines - extra magazines desired would need to be ordered separately. Please let us know how you would like to proceed, and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Additionally, it is your responsibility to ensure legality in your area and confirm your FFL will make the transfer. Any return shipping costs incurred due to local restrictions/FFL policy and any applicable restocking fees are the responsibility of the buyer.

This is about a 15rd 9mm. S&W 2.0c. I expect this if Im buying magazines, Crook and Chicago accomplished heir goal of not being able to buy them online, but why do I have to deal with this if Im buying a firearm?

Do I actually have to go to Indiana and buy a gun or what? My FFL will transfer anything because my FFL knows that theyre not law enforcement and our legal status is our own responsibility. CCL has been issued in Illinois for 5+ years now and we still have retailers ignoring preemption!

There is no state restriction. Preemption or not, Chicago ordinance specifies 15 rd limit iirc.

Chicago says 10 round limit. Why are you saying preemption or not? Explain?
Whether your interpretation is if state preemption covers mags or not...not all agree, but most here do. But Cook is a 10 rd ordinance on books. Believe Chicago is 15. So even without preemption, 15 should meet Chicago code. Dont have time to check muni code right now but its been posted in these discussions a gazillion times.

Chicago ordinance title 8-20

High capacity magazine means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of more than 15 rounds of ammunition. A high capacity magazine does not include an attached tubular device to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

There is no state restriction. Preemption or not, Chicago ordinance specifies 15 rd limit iirc.

Whether your interpretation is if state preemption covers mags or not...not all agree, but most here do. But Cook is a 10 rd ordinance on books. Believe Chicago is 15. So even without preemption, 15 should meet Chicago code. Dont have time to check muni code right now but its been posted in these discussions a gazillion times.

Chicago and Cook are both 10 rounds. I was just wondering why you said preemption doesn’t matter.

Chicago and Cook are both 10 rounds. I was just wondering why you said preemption doesn’t matter.

See my edit above

I get where you're coming from, preemption maybe only covers the pistol itself and not the mags? But let's think about this: gun shops in Cook County sell 15 round pistol magazines. If any pistol mag >10 rounds were illegal in cook, any non-LEO leaving the shop with a mag is an immediate criminal. In reality, has anyone ever gotten busted for buying a 15 round mag in a Cook County gun shop? Not that I know of

I get where you're coming from, preemption maybe only covers the pistol itself and not the mags? But let's think about this: gun shops in Cook County sell 15 round pistol magazines. If any pistol mag >10 rounds were illegal in cook, any non-LEO leaving the shop with a mag is an immediate criminal. In reality, has anyone ever gotten busted for buying a 15 round mag in a Cook County gun shop? Not that I know of

Yeah. I’m not about to buy a gun with no mags. I’m going to my FFL which is located in Cook and they’ll get it for me. Was trying to save money but I guess if you live in Cook you can’t.

Forget Grabagun and buy from Sportsmans Outdoor. They ship complete guns to Cook.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/mp-m20-compact-pistols/brand/SMITH-AND-WESSON

Thanks so much. This is what I wanted to know. I really like them as a company too.

Edit: theyre out of stock of the 9mm with no safety.

I ordered from sportsman’s and ordered thumb safety removal plugs. I found out the no safey and safety versions have the same exact frame, just plugged holes or a safety, so I can’t say I’m missing out on a complete polymer frame by going this route.

Generqlly I avoid grabagun unless its a 1911 or something. They got tired of cook/city lawyers harassing them so niw they have a restriction on the whole state.

What’s nice about them is they usually have stuff in stock that others don’t and great prices, but you’re right they won’t ship anything so it’s not like that even matters. At least I got a 10/22 from them for $179.

Im in cook

Oh, from an earlier post, I had the impression you were in Chicago

Both actually, but since Cooks limit is lower than Chicagos, which you were telling me, that was the point of me saying Cook.

I believe that only applies if Chicago had nothing in their muni code much less delving into Home Rule (assuming either is relevant due to state preemption). We can keep going back and forth but you've moved on to another seller so Im out of the discussion...theres no clear answer yet, which is why it keeps coming up.

Im in cook

Both actually, but since Cooks limit is lower than Chicagos, which you were telling me, that was the point of me saying Cook.

Chicago has home rule so its 15 in chicago, all the rest of cook i believe e is 12 now not 10. Yes i believe preemption applies but untill there is a court case, its still a gray area.

Im in cook

Chicago has home rule so its 15 in chicago, all the rest of cook i believe e is 12 now not 10. Yes i believe preemption applies but untill there is a court case, its still a gray area.

Used to be 12 from my understanding. cook muni code:

Large-capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:

(1) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds. (2) A 22-caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (3) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

whoops...forgot I was out of the discussion ;-)

Im in cook

I believe that only applies if Chicago had nothing in their muni code much less delving into Home Rule (assuming either is relevant due to state preemption). We can keep going back and forth but you've moved on to another seller so Im out of the discussion...theres no clear answer yet, which is why it keeps coming up.

I didn’t know that Chicago’s trumped cook. Okay. So you were right they truly have no valid reason to not ship me a 15 round firearm. Sad.

Chicago is

8) A semiautomatic handgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 15 rounds.

I believe Cook is the same, no?

I got in this same dispute with CDNN. They actually sold me a gun with a 15 round magazine, but down the road they refused to ship me additional magazines.

If you paste the law and they still say no boycott them. They have every right to refuse your sale and you have every right never to go through them again.

It's hardly a deal if you don't get the magazine.

Archived