Sterr v Trame - Class Action

jake8267

I just received an "opt-in/opt-out" email for a class action lawsuit filed in Madison County, Gary Sterr v Jessica Trame, et al. Overview is that since the ISP has been charging an extra fee for electronic applications and they are evidently only taking electronic applications now, they have been violating the law by charging 11 dollars for the application.

I'd like to know if anyone else got this and what the general thoughts on this one?

Just got it. Notice, it was filed in Madison County. The only winners will be, as usual, the vultures, er, I mean, lawyers.

This.

If successful, the attorneys will get a ton of money and the class members will get a coupon good for a few bucks off on a hat at the ISP gift shop.

Note that the class consists of people who applied for a FOID card between 3/15/2015 and 10/15/2017. Definitely not all applicants.

Just got it. Notice, it was filed in Madison County. The only winners will be, as usual, the vultures, er, I mean, lawyers.

This.

If successful, the attorneys will get a ton of money and the class members will get a coupon good for a few bucks off on a hat at the ISP gift shop.

Note that the class consists of people who applied for a FOID card between 3/15/2015 and 10/15/2017. Definitely not all applicants.

I wonder if that covers renewals. I want my dollar!

Lol...I just moved to a new address as of last week. When I was updating my address for my FOID yesterday, the ISP website had a link that directs you to this lawsuit.

Since I hadn't seen any mention of that lawsuit yet I was a bit confused because I thought I surely would have seen mention of it on here.

I dont fall into the category to be able to get a dollar for the lawsuit. But I would love to get my $1 service fee for updating my address.

Geez...ISP charging me a dollar to change my address. Who do they think they are? The Post Office? Everyone wants a dollar!

Edited by skrapyard

Saw that when I was helping my gf apply for her FOID. That $1 processing fee is a damn racket. The facts are pretty clear cut. I mean, they say "it costs $10 for a FOID...." then force everyone to apply online, pay a $1 convenience fee, thus making the cost $11. Same can be said about the CCL. Processing fee on that was something like $1.50. It can't cost $150 (or $10) if it costs $151.50 (or $11).

That being said, this will be a payday for the lawyers. Not the plaintiffs. They might get their dollar back, but the lawyers will net something like 66% of the total settlement (or damage award, if the state chooses trial). Class actions are a giant scam meant to line the pockets of lawyers. I think it's great the IL Supreme Court put the kibosh on forum shopping, declared non-residents/corporations domiciled in other states don't have standing in certain actions because of lack of jurisdiction to hear the claims.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

There is a clause in the credit card contracts that prohibits charging extra for something because you pay with a credit card. However, they can get around this by offering a discount for cash.

This is why you see "3% discount for cash" for gun dealers. They can't say it is an extra charge. However, the ISP says it is an extra charge so they are in violation of their agreement with the credit card companies.

FWIW, not all class actions like this are worthless. Yes, the lawyers will get a giant chunk of the money, but that doesn't mean individuals get next to nothing.

I worked part time at Papa John's while finishing up my degree so my income wouldn't drop to zero after graduation (was collecting Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits while attending).

A couple years later I got a notice about a class action suit against Papa John's.. something about how they were incorrectly paying reimbursements for miles driven on the job. Do nothing, and you're part of the suit. Several months later, I got a check for like $450 in the mail.

Maybe a year later, there was another one for them calculating taxes on tips incorrectly or something. Ended up with another check for a few hundred dollars.

It's all about how much they sue for, how much they get, and how many people are in the suit.

The fact that many of us think of gun ownership as a ‘hobby’ are part of the reason we cannot get the numbers to file witness slips, call legislators etc...

It’s a right. Plain and simple. “Shall not be infringed”.

The FOID is a poll-tax. Plain and simple.

I don't sign slips because I can't afford for my employer to find out.

Irony here is that if any private citizen were to do this....advertise something as costing $10 then billing the customer $11 at point of sale would be considered wire fraud. Every single instance where ISP has done this would be one count of wire fraud.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I once got a check in the mail for 17 cents as my part of a class action lawsuit I didn't even know I was in. It literally cost them more for the postage than the check!

Even better. I was once mailed a bill for 26 cents. Yes, they spent 40 cents on a stamp to bill me for 26 cents. Not to mention the printing, paper, envelope and administrative time they wasted. I taped a quarter and a penny to the invoice and wrote "you have got to be kidding me" on it and mailed it back.

Edited by DomG

Even better. I was once mailed a bill for 26 cents. Yes, they spent 40 cents on a stamp to bill me for 26 cents. Not to mention the printing, paper, envelope and administrative time they wasted. I taped a quarter and a penny to the invoice and wrote "you have got to be kidding me" on it and mailed it back.

Some companies write off small balances so they don't have to waste money like this. For example, Discover Card gives a "small balance credit" if your balance is under $2. Then they send you a bill for $0.00. Clearly not doing it right :)

I once got a check in the mail for 17 cents as my part of a class action lawsuit I didn't even know I was in. It literally cost them more for the postage than the check!

I used to get residuals for some songwriting publishing rights that I have, and over the years the checks they sent me got smaller and smaller. By the time I stopped getting anything more, I was getting checks for 8 cents, 5 cents, 3 cents, and 2 cents. It literally cost me more in gas to go to the bank to cash them then they were worth.

Had a Security Clearance held-up by a $0.29 bill from a gas company at a previous duty station. I mailed them a check and requested a receipt to give to the FBI as proof that I had paid it. Figured it had to have cost them more than that...idiots!

• 7 months later...

My co-worker applied for his FOID renewal last night and said at the end where he paid it popped up a message saying the FOID card could be delayed due to a class action lawsuit.

I did not get that (or I didn't notice it) when I renewed my card. This is the only lawsuit that I could think of that might apply.