New Illinois Assault Weapon Ban

Ralffers

Here we go again...

Should we be worried? Ideas on the likelihood of this passing...?

And – if something's been filed, why is there no reference to a Senate Bill or House Bill number?

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/news/local-news/gun-control-measures-filed-in-state-legislature/984267293?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WCIA_3_News

There's always a reason for concern. Just read the post Todd Vandermyde just added. There's a mood to "do something", and Illinois politicians excel at knee-jerk reactions.

That said, whatever gets filed still has to go through all the usual processes the ILGA has to pass a bill, so there will be plenty of opportunities to counter whatever derp there is to be countered.

There's always a reason for concern. Just read the post Todd Vandermyde just added. There's a mood to "do something", and Illinois politicians excel at knee-jerk reactions.

That said, whatever gets filed still has to go through all the usual processes the ILGA has to pass a bill, so there will be plenty of opportunities to counter whatever derp there is to be countered.

Where can I find Tod's post on here?

Where can I find Todd's post on here?

Here.

Here we go again...

And if something's been filed, why is there no reference to a Senate Bill or House Bill number?

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/news/local-news/gun-control-measures-filed-in-state-legislature/984267293?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WCIA_3_News

..." "There is no reason for anyone to have an assault weapon. There just isnt. Its a military grade gun. It is not used for protection. It is not used for hunting."... She is so clueless.

Sometimes it takes a day or two from the time they filed...or said they were going to file. These are already submitted:

HB3734 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3734&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=105703&SessionID=91&GA=100

HB4107 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4107&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=107988&SessionID=91&GA=100

SB3297 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3297&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=111140&SessionID=91&GA=100

SB2314 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2314&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=108756&SessionID=91&GA=100

Is Moylan talking about his bill HB5478 where he redefines a firearm to include parts?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5478&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=111405&SessionID=91&GA=100

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Adds to the definition of "firearm" for purposes of the Act includes any combination of parts designed or intended to be used to convert a device into a firearm or from which a firearm may be readily assembled. Effective immediately.

As a sponsor of several gun control measures, Morrison is acutely aware of the hurdles she faces before delivering this legislation to the governor's desk.

"I don't think gun control is just a Democrat or Republican thing," she said.

"Downstate Illinois looks at things differently than the city of Chicago. There are people who are very concerned about this being a slippery slope so I think that’s been one of the reasons we’ve had trouble."

So I guess these legislators now think of us downstate as ignorant deplorables now.

She is a lunatic

"

Rotering says the Illinois General Assembly should use the specific language in the Highland Park ordinance as a template to pass a statewide ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

"It has already been deemed constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court," Rotering said.

"

It has NOT been deemed constitutional by SCOTUS, they just refused to hear the case.

""This is language that has met Constitutional muster," she said. "It has been challenged by the NRA. It has been upheld. This is model language.""

Again, not really true.

But this is scary. Her idiotic bill outlaws Ruger Mini 14s but not Mini-30s They just made a list, it seems of 5.56/223 firing rifles.

Here we go again...

And if something's been filed, why is there no reference to a Senate Bill or House Bill number?

..." "There is no reason for anyone to have an assault weapon. There just isnt. Its a military grade gun. It is not used for protection. It is not used for hunting."... She is so clueless.

Sometimes it takes a day or two from the time they filed...or said they were going to file. These are already submitted:

HB3734 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3734&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=105703&SessionID=91&GA=100

HB4107 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4107&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=107988&SessionID=91&GA=100

SB3297 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3297&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=111140&SessionID=91&GA=100

SB2314 http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2314&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=108756&SessionID=91&GA=100

Is Moylan talking about his bill HB5478 where he redefines a firearm to include parts?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5478&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=111405&SessionID=91&GA=100

All of these bills are re-referred to the rules committee (where they [forever] sit in limbo), so they're not actually signed into law, right? By the looks of it, if they were [signed into law], no one in illinois would possess an A.R.15.

She is a lunatic

"

Rotering says the Illinois General Assembly should use the specific language in the Highland Park ordinance as a template to pass a statewide ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

"It has already been deemed constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court," Rotering said.

"

It has NOT been deemed constitutional by SCOTUS, they just refused to hear the case.

""This is language that has met Constitutional muster," she said. "It has been challenged by the NRA. It has been upheld. This is model language.""

Again, not really true.

But this is scary. Her idiotic bill outlaws Ruger Mini 14s but not Mini-30s They just made a list, it seems of 5.56/223 firing rifles.

We just have to make sure we band together (especially on this bill) and defeat it!

All of these bills are re-referred to the rules committee (where they [forever] sit in limbo), so they're not actually signed into law, right? By the looks of it, if they were [signed into law], no one in illinois would possess an A.R.15.

The new filed bills in 2018 and carry forwards from 2017 do go to committee assignments again. Some will sit where they are e.g pro 2A bills and perhaps duplicate anti 2A bills but dont expect them to all be forever in limbo...as soon as they think they have the feels over facts votes anything can happen...quickly

As a sponsor of several gun control measures, Morrison is acutely aware of the hurdles she faces before delivering this legislation to the governor's desk.

"Downstate Illinois looks at things differently than the city of Chicago. There are people who are very concerned about this being a slippery slope so I think that’s been one of the reasons we’ve had trouble."

So I guess these legislators now think of us downstate as ignorant deplorables now.

They always have. They want our tax revenue, they don't want us. I hope our downstate legislators don't go soft on us.

Here is the actual bill; SB3297:

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Prohibits the transfer of an assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, and a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Provides that on and after the effective date of the amendatory Act, the person may transfer the assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or large capacity ammunition feeding device only to an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining it in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968. Provides exemptions. Provides that a person who knowingly transfers or causes to be transferred an assault weapon or .50 caliber rifle commits a Class 3 felony for a first violation and a Class 2 felony for a second or subsequent violation or for the transfer of 2 or more of these weapons at the same time. Provides that a person who knowingly delivers or causes to be delivered an assault weapon attachment or large capacity ammunition feeding device commits a Class 4 felony for a first violation and a Class 3 felony for a second or subsequent violation. Defines various terms.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3297&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=111140&SessionID=91

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Prohibits the transfer of an assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, and a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Provides that on and after the effective date of the amendatory Act, the person may transfer the assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or large capacity ammunition feeding device only to an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining it in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968. Provides exemptions. Provides that a person who knowingly transfers or causes to be transferred an assault weapon or .50 caliber rifle commits a Class 3 felony for a first violation and a Class 2 felony for a second or subsequent violation or for the transfer of 2 or more of these weapons at the same time. Provides that a person who knowingly delivers or causes to be delivered an assault weapon attachment or large capacity ammunition feeding device commits a Class 4 felony for a first violation and a Class 3 felony for a second or subsequent violation. Defines various terms.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3297&GAID=14&GA=100&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=111140&SessionID=91

Check me on my reading of this horrifying bill.

It only outlaws the sale of what they call 'assault weapons' (Basically California AWB list), over 10 rd magazines and a small set of parts (that are non-sense at best).

Doesn't ban existing owners of any of it (yet).

Doesn't force registration (yet).

Or did I misread it?

If so he's a real Sneaky bastage, SCOTUS won't touch it because it doesn't have any of the provisions like outlawing existing owners with no recompense, registration.

Bans the sale of my Mini 14 (only because it is specifically mentioned, because it doesn't qualify under the criteria), but NOT the Mini 30 which is the exact same, damn rifle in a different caliber. Idiocy.

Yea, this Bill has to be stopped, cause I can see it getting more acceptance from the legislature.

Check me on my reading of this horrifying bill.

It only outlaws the sale of what they call 'assault weapons' (Basically California AWB list), over 10 rd magazines and a small set of parts (that are non-sense at best).

Doesn't ban existing owners of any of it (yet).

Doesn't force registration (yet).

Or did I misread it?

If so he's a real Sneaky bastage, SCOTUS won't touch it because it doesn't have any of the provisions like outlawing existing owners with no recompense, registration.

Bans the sale of my Mini 14 (only because it is specifically mentioned, because it doesn't qualify under the criteria), but NOT the Mini 30 which is the exact same, damn rifle in a different caliber. Idiocy.

Yea, this Bill has to be stopped, cause I can see it getting more acceptance from the legislature.

I'm derrping here, help me out. I'm not seeing the details you all are seeing.

I don't see a definition of this thing called an "assault weapon" nor "a large capacity ammunition feeding device". I don't know of any IL law specifying those things, nor a list of banned guns.

What's an "assault weapon attachment"? Could that be something like a AK bayonet? If someone is simply in possession of a knife, are they in violation of this law? What if I sell an A2 flash hider, is that now a Class 4 or 3 felony?

Does this bill also outlaw .50 cal muzzle loaders?

An "assault weapon attachment" is anything they imagine them to be. That would include pistol grips, forward grips, or the dreadful, horrifying "shoulder thing that goes up". In case you are unaware of this terrifying attachment, here is Rep. Carolyn McCarthy who will attempt to explain it to you....

"Downstate Illinois looks at things differently than the city of Chicago. There are people who are very concerned about this being a slippery slope so I think thats been one of the reasons weve had trouble."

Well at least she was honest in her disdain for us...really her biggest regret is why our daughters are bigger defenders of gun rights (then us white,african american,hispanic, middle eastern, etc) male cavemen types when her constituents in cook are told to simply lie there and take the rape...sorry julie, none of my daughters are going to be unarmed victims

Good grief! I did not see the full text from the other links. That list of banned firearms reads like my post-lottery wish list.

Understand that the appeals courts are extensions of SCOTUS. Imagine having a Supreme Court with hundreds of judges. That's how they work.

If SCOTUS refuses to take up a case, the appeals court ruling operates as the precedent.

So yes, in a way, SCOTUS did deem it constitutional.

Understand that the appeals courts are extensions of SCOTUS. Imagine having a Supreme Court with hundreds of judges. That's how they work.

If SCOTUS refuses to take up a case, the appeals court ruling operates as the precedent.

So yes, in a way, SCOTUS did deem it constitutional.

Not true. The distinction may seem to be purely technical, but law is in fact a large body of technical distinctions. The only thing which can be inferred from a SCOTUS decision not to grant cert is that SCOTUS has decided not to grant cert.

There are, of course, plenty of politicians who claim to be lawyers and who fail to understand this distinction. From that, you may definitely infer something, but only about the politicians.

I'm surprised they didn't use the latest California language for their ban

They used the Highland Park one, an even WORSE version of the CA bill.

I briefly read it earlier, it still has the 'bullet button' loophole, how is it worse than CA?

[i'm not trying to argue with you, it helps me convince more people to call their reps about it]

Archived