Ammo testing

jlbaugh72

I'm wanting to test out and select defensive ammo for my rifles and pistols.

How many rounds at a minimum do you all choose to test with?

I know you should run an ammo through your gear for checking reliability prior to carrying it but I'm not sure how much I need for testing.

Given the higher cost of defensive rounds I only want to test fire a few before stocking up but I want to be sure of my purchase... training is the cheap stuff and reliability is less of a concern so I always buy bulk for training.

20 rounds? 50? 100?

Any advice is appreciated

You will typically see defensive pistol ammo in 20-50 round boxes.I would start with a box,and if there are no issues,purchase more.I will shoot a minimum of 100 rd,s without issue before I feel confident.May I suggest Speer gold dots and or federal hst,s to start with.remember,your life might depend on your carry ammo.can't speak to long gun ammo.opinions can and probably will vary widely on your question.

In my experience the way to test ammo function in a gun is to run a magazine of defensive loads through the gun cold. Then get the gun super hot and a little dirty with range ammo. Then test another magazine of defensive loads. This is the cost effective way to know if it's going to run that ammo hit or cold.

Every person and gun has their own preference for the type/brand of SD ammo they like. Admittedly I am a fan of Winchester Ranger T series ammo. It has functioned well in each caliber and pistol I have run it through. I have tried a few different brands of SD ammo in my carry gun and only had issues with Remington Golden Saber.

After running about 100rds of the Ranger ammo through my carry gun with no malfunctions I picked up a half case (500rds). This way I am able to practice with my carry ammo and run a few mags through the gun each time I am at the range. I also still fire plenty of cheap Win white box through the gun just for trigger time.

Archived