12 Hour Concealed Carry Class Approved!

Lawson Handgun Institute

The Illinois State Police notified Lawson Handgun Institute on November 26th that their 12 hour curriculum has been approved for concealed carry classes. Those who want to take advantage of ISP approved credentials of greater than 4 hours and less than 8 hours can take credit with our 12 hour curriculum. People with Utah CCW and Chicago Firearms Permits can complete their Illinois CCW training requirements using the new class.

For more information, please send us a PM or send us an inquiry at www.lawsonhandgun.com, or at info@lawsonhandgun.com.

How did you submit the approval request specifiing it was a 12 hour course?

You can submit a curriculum approval form for any curriculum so that the ISP can approve it. http://www.isp.state...dCurriculum.pdf

yes but the form doesn't have a mechanism for a 12 hour course

also the certificate of completion the instructor gets to give to students has an option to verify x-hours of training and provide x-more

But congrats - this will help a lot of folks out

Did they maybe send a letter of some sort with their application

You can submit a curriculum approval form for any curriculum so that the ISP can approve it. http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/CCWApprovedCurriculum.pdf

I am aware of the form as I submitted and had approved one myself, but as already stated there isn't a way to specify a 12 your course. So I have to ask again, how exactly was a request submitted specifying that the request was for a 12 hr course? I would like to submit a request myself as almost everyone down here has the hunter safety course credit.

There is technically no need for a 12 hour course as you simply teach the appropriate topics from your 16 hour course. Our 12 hour course is a 16 with the appropriate topics left out depending upon the nature of the prior cert (Utah, Chicago, etc).

You can submit a curriculum approval form for any curriculum so that the ISP can approve it. http://www.isp.state...dCurriculum.pdf

I am aware of the form as I submitted and had approved one myself, but as already stated there isn't a way to specify a 12 your course. So I have to ask again, how exactly was a request submitted specifying that the request was for a 12 hr course? I would like to submit a request myself as almost everyone down here has the hunter safety course credit.

Simply write in "OnyTay's IL 12 hour Concealed Carry Curriculum of Doom" and it'll be approved, providing that you make your own 12 hour course that takes into account what class they took and making sure that your student satisfies all the requirements of the mandated IL concealed carry training.

There is technically no need for a 12 hour course as you simply teach the appropriate topics from your 16 hour course. Our 12 hour course is a 16 with the appropriate topics left out depending upon the nature of the prior cert (Utah, Chicago, etc).

ok is that what LHI did?

So was the post just a form of advertising or did the ISP do something special?

very confused here

So you do not have an approved 12 hour course.

You can not take a 16 hour course and selectively "remove" 4 hours from it and claim that it is an "approved 12 hour course"...

Well, I suppose you can claim anything you want, I just don't see how that will pass muster with the ISP lawyers...

What does this say?

I provided the full 16-hour training required by the Act.

I verified _____ hours of prior training and provided additional training pursuant to the Act Section 75.g. to equal the 16 hours required.
In addition to this certificate the applicant should submit ________________________________________________________.
(Title of prior training certificate verified by instructor)

I verified the “8-hour credit” pursuant to the Act Section 75.i. and provided 8 hours of additional training pursuant to Section 75.g.

(g) The Department and certified firearms instructor shall
recognize up to 8 hours of training already completed toward
the 16 hour training requirement under this Section if the
training course is approved by the Department and recognized
under the laws of another state. Any remaining hours that the
applicant completes must at least cover the classroom subject
matter of paragraph (4) of subsection ( of this Section, and
the range qualification in subsection (c) of this Section.

(4) all applicable State and federal laws relating to
the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a
firearm; and

What does this say?

I provided the full 16-hour training required by the Act.

I verified _____ hours of prior training and provided additional training pursuant to the Act Section 75.g. to equal the 16 hours required.
In addition to this certificate the applicant should submit ________________________________________________________.
(Title of prior training certificate verified by instructor)

I verified the “8-hour credit” pursuant to the Act Section 75.i. and provided 8 hours of additional training pursuant to Section 75.g.

(g) The Department and certified firearms instructor shall
recognize up to 8 hours of training already completed toward
the 16 hour training requirement under this Section if the
training course is approved by the Department and recognized
under the laws of another state. Any remaining hours that the
applicant completes must at least cover the classroom subject
matter of paragraph (4) of subsection ( of this Section, and
the range qualification in subsection (c) of this Section.

(4) all applicable State and federal laws relating to
the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a
firearm; and

What does that say?

It does NOT say that you remove 25% of an approved course and still claim it is an approved course...

Can I remove 4 hours from CLIC and still claim it is an approved course? How about removing 4 hours from NRA BP, PPITH, PPOTH?

If what you have done is how the ILGA and ISP intended things to be done, they need to make that clear. I, however, do not see how you can claim that 75% of an approved course is still an approved course... If that were the case, I have had an "approved 12 hour course" for months now. I apparently also have a 1 hour approved course, a 2 hour approved course, a 3 hour approved course, etc etc etc all the way up to a 16 hour approved course...

How were you notified of curriculum approval? letter, email, phone call? I am still waiting to hear back for a friend after he was put on the ISP website with his application but he has yet to receive any formal type of approval of curriculum last we spoke.

Anyone?

You get a letter stating the approval of your course(s) and a Curriculum ID# for reference. You may share that number with only those approved to use/share your curriculum.

The question seems to be did LHI get something from the ISP SPECIFICALLY authorizing a 12 hour course as advertised in the OP?

Was it in writting?

Did they get some clerk on the phone who said 'Sure, go for it'?

I've handled 12 hour courses with take 16 pay for 12 - a few people have found other instructors others have taken the extra 4 and one guy even insisted on paying for the 'extra' four at the end of the class.

I don't mind educating the ignorant, because, how else will they learn? But it gets boring trying to educate the willfully ignorant. Perhaps there is a tutorial out there that some here can use to increase their reading comprehension. In the meantime, allow me to assist.

"It does NOT say that you remove 25% of an approved course and still claim it is an approved course..."

Slowly read the text of the second checkbox on the ISP's training certificate. Read it again...I'll wait.

"Can I remove 4 hours from CLIC and still claim it is an approved course? How about removing 4 hours from NRA BP, PPITH, PPOTH?"

CLIC is not my curriculum. The NRA courses are not IL CCW curriculae. Even were they, since there is no grandfathered 12 hours, there could not be a 4 hour curriculum. Logic tutorials would be an excellent addition to your reading list.

"If what you have done is how the ILGA and ISP intended things to be done, they need to make that clear. I, however, do not see how you can claim that 75% of an approved course is still an approved course... If that were the case, I have had an "approved 12 hour course" for months now. I apparently also have a 1 hour approved course, a 2 hour approved course, a 3 hour approved course, etc etc etc all the way up to a 16 hour approved course..."

As per the above response, likewise there aren't 15 hour, 14 hour, etc grandfathered classes, so there couldn't be 1 hour, 2 hour, etc curruculae.

What we did, for those honestly interested in doing the same, is author a 16 hour curriculum in a modular fashion such that it can be taught to varying audiences based upon their qualifying approved prior training credits. You are welcome to do so yourself.

"The question seems to be did LHI get something from the ISP SPECIFICALLY authorizing a 12 hour course as advertised in the OP?

Was it in writting?

Did they get some clerk on the phone who said 'Sure, go for it'?"

Asked an answered a few posts back, but since you either didn't comprehend or didn't bother reading it, I'll reiterate. None of that is needed if one simply takes the time to 1) comprehend the training requirements and 2) construct a curriculum appropriately.

Now, who wants pie?

So why the grand announcement?

"The Illinois State Police notified Lawson Handgun Institute on November 26th that their 12 hour curriculum has been approved for concealed carry classes."

What if anything did the ISP do on 11/26?

Says right on the ISP list of approved courses "LHI IL CCW 12 Hour ". The reply I received a long time back from ISP was that curricula are approved for 'up to' 16 hrs.

thanks Molly - that would have settled it a long time back

Archived