Sun Times Op Ed - Fix The FOID

InterestedBystander

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6/3/18651227/legislature-fumbles-chance-make-streets-chicago-safer-fix-the-foid-act-bill-pritzker

..."On Monday, Gov. J.B. Pritzker told the Chicago Sun-Times Editorial Board, I think that most of that bill makes sense to me. There are pieces of it that I think probably need to get some amending.

Pritzker may have simply been referring to the common tactic of revising legislation that is close to passing in order to pick up a vote or two.

We hope that doesnt happen with this bill, though.

During negotiations, supporters agreed to drop several other Fix the FOID provisions, including requiring in-person applications for FOID cards and charging $50 for a five-year renewal. Also dropped was a mandate that local law enforcement get warrants to recover the guns from people whose FOID cards are revoked. Instead, that task would be handled by the Illinois State Police.

Further diluting the bill now would undermine its effectiveness.

Moreover, if the Senate makes changes in the legislation instead of concurring with the version that passed the House, the bill would have to go back to the House, where there is no guarantee it would pass again.

Sen. Sen. Julie Morrison, D-Deerfield, the lead sponsor of the bill in the Senate, said she plans to move things forward by seeking legislative hearings this summer to educate lawmakers who might have withheld their support because they didnt know enough about what the bill contains.

A stronger FOID law wouldnt take every illegally owned gun out of the hands of criminals. But like other sensible gun legislation, it would go a significant way in reducing the likelihood of future gun crimes."...

They know where every gun in every law abiding household is now.its not like they dont have the foid records...to klue u in this information is shared..heck they run your tags and that alone will tell em if you have a ccw permit...this does nothing but again puts burden on every law abiding person who by there very nature is not the thugery on the streets of chiraq...i luv the part that isp is responsible for getting warrants but will they take lead entry into residence with evil guns?????.....this could get seriously interesting...

I would love to hear how this proposal would do ANYTHING to reduce future gun crimes. What planet are these people on ?

Very simple. It’s the next step for them getting a total gun ban. They know they have to do it incrementally. Take away a few rights, and when violence doesn’t go down, take away a few more rights, and when violence doesn’t go down...

"A stronger FOID law wouldnt take every illegally owned gun out of the hands of criminals. But like other sensible gun legislation, it would go a significant way in reducing the likelihood of future gun crimes"

Criminals don't have FOID cards. FOID holders have legal guns and they are going after the wrong people and it will have no impact on future gun crimes and they know it. They are lying as usual with their sensible bs.

They know where every gun in every law abiding household is now.its not like they dont have the foid records...

I would be hard pressed to say they have a clue where even half the guns in law abiding households are, private sales and transfers with no governement records have been done for many, many decades, I'm betting millions of firearms have been transfered by those private sales with no government records or for that matter any privately kept records anymore. By far most of the firearms I have owned and do own were purchase through private sales with records long forgotten or lost There is also the matter of people that have moved to Illinois ad brough their firearms with them, no record of what they brought either.

Sure they could estrapulate some inaccurate generalize data based on FFL background checks and FOID applications, but it's far, far, far from accurate.

If you moved out of state and had to forfeit your FOID card. Wouldn’t any records you were required to keep by the state of Illinois under the FOID act now be void?

And if you moved back you would be under no obligation to have maintained those records since the state basically revoked your participation under the act?

Just a thought.

^ this ***

A stronger FOID law wouldnt take every illegally owned gun out of the hands of criminals. But like other sensible gun legislation, it would go a significant way in reducing the likelihood of future gun crimes."...
Hahahaha haha hahahahaha haaaaa hahahaha hahaha OK I'm done.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

They know where every gun in every law abiding household is now.its not like they dont have the foid records...

I would be hard pressed to say they have a clue where even half the guns in law abiding households are, private sales and transfers with no governement records have been done for many, many decades, I'm betting millions of firearms have been transfered by those private sales with no government records or for that matter any privately kept records anymore. By far most of the firearms I have owned and do own were purchase through private sales with records long forgotten or lost There is also the matter of people that have moved to Illinois ad brough their firearms with them, no record of what they brought either.

Sure they could estrapulate some inaccurate generalize data based on FFL background checks and FOID applications, but it's far, far, far from accurate.

They know who has foid....they know who has ccw...its not the amount in any given residence...just knowing those 2 parameters alone is more information than these commies need...last time a state had information like this we ended up with krystalnacht

They need to do a followup of how many shooters had foids this weekend in Chicago.

Exactly why they don’t show the full video of the lady who got shot carrying her baby.

Husband/Baby Daddy? Runs in house grabs what looks like a tec 9 or a glock with that long 33 round monster in it.

Jumps into his Mercedes AMG and goes after them, never checking on the wife or baby?

He then comes back and hides behind two friends I’ll assume and gets he gun back inside!

Last I heard and read, he's a convicted felon multiple times......so NO FOID?

And the Mommy has 9 arrests in the past 12 months.....humm.

Horrible to be killed, even if thats your life style.

This has nothing to do with crime control. It has to do with people control. Who gets to tell who what to do, how to do it, when to do it and what they can not do. To get that power they need everyone unarmed so they can't back it up when they say no! Of course the powers that wanna be will have guns to enforce their will

They need to do a followup of how many shooters had foids this weekend in Chicago.

From Second City Cop

THIS is what GoogleMe should be doing all the time:
  • “As of this afternoon, 11 of the 19 individuals arrested on gun charges over the weekend by #ChicagoPolice are already out on the street. 7 of the individuals were previously convicted felons and 6 had prior gun offenses in their backgrounds.”

From Second City Cop

THIS is what GoogleMe should be doing all the time:

“As of this afternoon, 11 of the 19 individuals arrested on gun charges over the weekend by #ChicagoPolice are already out on the street. 7 of the individuals were previously convicted felons and 6 had prior gun offenses in their backgrounds.”

This. This is the problem right here. If they really wanted to make a difference this is the gun problem they would focus on. Where did these multiple time gun offenders get thier guns? If you have someone illegally being a straw purchaser thst keeps having guns "stolen" it doesn't seem to be that it would be that hard to track down. Everyone fills out a 4473 form at time of purchase, and atf can access these records if need be. Are they all coming from the same area/person?

Why are these gun offenders let out time and time again? To what end does it serve to let people who shoot people out of jail/ prison again and again. We also all know that the majority of these shootings are drug and gang related. Seems to me that if you want to reduce gun violence curbing the gang activity would reduce gun violence. Why is there no major legislation to deal with the cause of the problems instead of an instrument used during these crimes by criminals?

I know this may sound a little tin foil hat but, where does all the money from this drug trade go? Yes some goes back to Mexico, south America, what have you where these cartels are based. On the other hand money is also being made on the street. When was the last time you heard of a major drug bust in chicago? I mean a big one. I can't remember but theres 72 shootings a weekend over the drug trade so there must be some serious money floating around.

Now why do politicians concentrate on law abiding citizens when it comes to gun laws while letting drug dealers off with a slap on the wrist with their gun offense? If a reporter wanted to make a name for themselves I would have a simple suggestion, follow the money.

I'm not saying that every cop or politician is crooked but someone is pulling some strings and diversionary tactics. Think about it. Thousands of shootings in the city every year but it's the law abiding hunter who has a handgun for home protection that is the problem? Baby shot in the head in the back seat of a car during a drug deal, but it's the 3 gun competitor without a criminal record that is the problem?

I know I rambled on a little bit but I'm tired of getting blamed for stuff I had nothing to do with! Politicians know the foid holders are not the problem because they love to spend our tax money on studies. So why are they going after the ones that are not the problem. Easy answer to me is there is money to be made somewhere that some of them are getting and they dont want to loose that cash cow or the job that gives them the influence to receive the funds from ignoring the elephant in the room. Start busting up this racket and you'll see gun violence go down. I'd put money on it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Mercey Hospital Shooting....thats all u need to know...that was dropped real quick....story is perp was blood relative of some fairly high ranking crook county official and used that for legal purchase????....did not fit narrative..dropped....Virginia Beach does not fit narrative..thats dropped...we all told mass shootings involve white guys with bibles (you know u guys all need casterated per honorable rep diane pappas) and no educated american american with an enginerring degree no less would ever be involved in such an incident....

Mercey Hospital Shooting....thats all u need to know...that was dropped real quick....story is perp was blood relative of some fairly high ranking crook county official and used that for legal purchase????....did not fit narrative..dropped....Virginia Beach does not fit narrative..thats dropped...we all told mass shootings involve white guys with bibles (you know u guys all need casterated per honorable rep diane pappas) and no educated american american with an enginerring degree no less would ever be involved in such an incident....

Look up medill inocence project (Northwestern skol of Journalism) and alstory simon....my heart aches for those 2 kids who did not deserve whay happened to them in 1982 and there family...complete miscarriage of justice...u can watch the documentary on amazon prime if you so choose

A spokesman for Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans, however, later pointed to a recent study commissioned by his office that found felony defendants released on bail rarely picked up a new charge of violence. From October 2017 through December 2018, less than 150 of about 24,000 defendants released from custody — about 0.6% — were charged with a new violent offense, the study found.

This my friends is how you create the illusion for the sheeple. Love the last sentence. 24,000 defendants.....only.6% of those had wnew violent offense. Wonder what the actual number would be if he just used the violent/gun offenders who get re-arrested after getting out on i bonds. These people manipulate anything they can to make it look like there is no proble.

A spokesman for Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans, however, later pointed to a recent study commissioned by his office that found felony defendants released on bail rarely picked up a new charge of violence. From October 2017 through December 2018, less than 150 of about 24,000 defendants released from custody — about 0.6% — were charged with a new violent offense, the study found.

This my friends is how you create the illusion for the sheeple. Love the last sentence. 24,000 defendants.....only.6% of those had wnew violent offense. Wonder what the actual number would be if he just used the violent/gun offenders who get re-arrested after getting out on i bonds. These people manipulate anything they can to make it look like there is no proble.

Exactly, violent felony offenders is wide open and the fact they were not caught and/or charged for a repeat offence when on bail doesn't mean they were not doing the deed, it just means few were caught doing the deed again, and that is not surprising when there are so many unsolved or non-prosecuted crimes.

Considering the homicide clearance rate for Chicago is under 25%, most violent offenders aren't even caught.

Exactly, and that is homicides, add in all violent crimes commited with no resolution and the number is bound to drop in half or even further.

Archived