Photo

Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#691 borgranta

• Members
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

Here's an idea for them.Since it's ok to just change the acceptible-states list at will, just change the list to green light all the states where the plantiffs live. Then they can go to the court and say, case is moot. Then a year from now, change the list back and revoke any licenses from those states. Problem solved. I'm surprised the dedicated and helpful public servants in the IL AG and ISP legal haven't thought of that yet.

Such a stunt would probably result in the state being held in contempt for perpetrating a fraud on the 7th circuit. Such a stunt would definitely prove to the 7th circuit that all their justifications are lies.
The following referral code will grant provide a new User of Uber a free ride up to $15
donaldd4557ui

#692 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Here's an idea for them.Since it's ok to just change the acceptible-states list at will, just change the list to green light all the states where the plantiffs live. Then they can go to the court and say, case is moot. Then a year from now, change the list back and revoke any licenses from those states. Problem solved. I'm surprised the dedicated and helpful public servants in the IL AG and ISP legal haven't thought of that yet.

Such a stunt would probably result in the state being held in contempt for perpetrating a fraud on the 7th circuit. Such a stunt would definitely prove to the 7th circuit that all their justifications are lies.

Would probably take a motion from Plaintiff's counsel and the court would issue a show cause order. That would definitely piss off the Court, though.
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#693 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

Amazing. Despite the court’s caution that their docket is open and briefings are expected to continue as scheduled, Lisa Madigan et al just asked for a FOURTH extension to file their brief (April 9). The court hasn’t posted its response yet.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#694 III

Domari Nolo

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:06 AM

It's for the children....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

#695 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Amazing. Despite the court’s caution that their docket is open and briefings are expected to continue as scheduled, Lisa Madigan et al just asked for a FOURTH extension to file their brief (April 9). The court hasn’t posted its response yet.

I'm sure she has a good reason.

NRA Patron/NRA Pistol Instructor
Illinois/Utah Concealed Carry Instructor

Glock Armorer/M&P Armorer

LFI I/LFI II

#696 jmeyers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

CA7 is standing up.

Granted the Extension to April 9 with Appellants to April 28 but then noted "No further extensions of time will be allowed, except in extraordinary circumstances"

#697 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

I'm sure she has a good reason.

They probably lost their crayon sharpener.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#698 jmeyers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:15 PM

Gamma - They lost it to me, so I could use it to draw them a picture  :drool:

#699 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

I remember when the law was passed many of us thought the Illinois permit would be honored in almost all other states but that is not the case.  That was the thought because of the totally excessive amount of training required.

That was only a thought if one had not actually looked at recognition/reciprocity before.

If so one would have known about the significant number of states that only do actual reciprocity, either via formal agreements or analysis. Since Illinois doesn't offer full recognition to anyone, none of those states would be possible.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#700 paul1911

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Can someone post the document where state says why their homework is late.

#701 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:49 AM

Attached File  21 - motion for extension #4.pdf   72.96KB   83 downloads
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#702 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Maybe if the state wasn't so diligent at infringing on citizens rights, they wouldn't have so many cases before the supreme court. Just an idea.

Edited by Gamma, 02 March 2018 - 03:35 PM.

#703 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

There's NO good reason to delay fully briefing and hearing this appeal. I've been following this lawsuit since day one and...the motto of the Seventh Circuit is "justice delayed is justice denied." Not kidding. So if they put their money where their mouth(s) are, deny the motion and tell the state that they will not have a brief if it is not filed on time. Boo boo.

Edited by skinnyb82, 08 March 2018 - 07:30 AM.

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#704 paul1911

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

So wonder if we will get filling on Monday or a new delay?

#705 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

So wonder if we will get filling on Monday or a new delay?

It would really surprise me if the State attempted to extend. The court has already stated “no further extensions... except in extraordinary circumstances,” and if they had planned to request an extension it must have been filed at least 7 days before the due date. That didn’t happen, so I would expect to see a filing on Monday.

#706 paul1911

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Well Today is the day.  Lets see what we get for our reading enjoyment.   

#707 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Enjoy! Brief is attached.

Attached File  26 - Defendants-Appellees Brief.pdf   292.85KB   136 downloads

Edited by kwc, 09 April 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#708 F12Mahon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Enjoy! Brief is attached.

attachicon.gif26 - Defendants-Appellees Brief.pdf

I get a  message the file is damaged. Both Chrome and Adobe Reader can't open it.

Eugene

#709 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

I get a  message the file is damaged. Both Chrome and Adobe Reader can't open it.
Eugene

Here is an alternate link:

http://morsel.info/w...llees-Brief.pdf

Edited by kwc, 09 April 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#710 F12Mahon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

Eugene

Here is an alternate link:

http://morsel.info/w...llees-Brief.pdf

Thank you.

Eugene

#711 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,412 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:36 PM

So, what is the analysis for the filing? Is the brief loaded with cr@p?

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#712 press1280

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:21 AM

Basically. They still say it's not a ban just because 4 states' residents can obtain permits. It's essentially the same thinking as a may-issue scheme, that rationing rights is a fulfillment of the right. Unfortunately the Culp I opinion basically let that happen.

#713 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:32 AM

They're not asking anything more of nonresidents than they are of residents and that they cannot vet the mental health of nonresidents.  They haven't yet figured out that they cannot do that even for Illinois residents because nothing prevents them from leaving the state to seek treatment elsewhere.

Edited by ChicagoZman, 11 April 2018 - 05:32 AM.

NRA Patron/NRA Pistol Instructor
Illinois/Utah Concealed Carry Instructor

Glock Armorer/M&P Armorer

LFI I/LFI II

#714 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Looks like this lawsuit caught Bloombergs attention. An attorney (Deepak Gupta) representing Everytown for Gun Safety just filed a disclosure statement (attached).

Attached File  everytown - disclosure statement.pdf   104.32KB   57 downloads

Edited by kwc, 13 April 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#715 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

They're not asking anything more of nonresidents than they are of residents and that they cannot vet the mental health of nonresidents.  They haven't yet figured out that they cannot do that even for Illinois residents because nothing prevents them from leaving the state to seek treatment elsewhere.

They have predicated a fundamental civil right on the illusion of being able to prove a negative with 100% certainty, which cannot be done.

They have chosen a regulatory scheme that they admittedly are unable to complete, and the response is to simply deny the civil rights of the people they can't regulate to their own satisfaction.

How any court could let this stand is beyond me.

#716 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

My reading of it, is it's a very long winded recitation of everything that has transpired so far in the case, and then "you should let us have our way, because people with guns scare us".

#717 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

My reading of it, is it's a very long winded recitation of everything that has transpired so far in the case, and then "you should let us have our way, because people with guns scare us".

Well, given that their "argument" to maintain the ban on CCW consisted of:

1) It might make the public safer (but provided no statistical proof)
2) Because it's not nonsensical
3) Because we can

is it surprising?
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#718 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

According to the court’s docket, the “Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence” just submitted an amicus brief. Once approved by the court it will be posted for public review. I’ll upload it here when available.

#719 kwc

• 3,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

Everytown for Gun Safety filed an amicus brief today, too. It requires court review before it is available to the public as well.

#720 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 4,297 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:23 AM

Anyone filed briefs on your behalf?
Have all boated who fish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users