WSJ: Record Numbers of Americans Try to Buy Guns

InterestedBystander

Cant access this Wall St Journal URL directly but if you click the story link from Drudge report it is readable...I assume they have a site referrer agreement.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/record-numbers-of-americans-try-to-buy-guns-11594719000

Snippets

By Julie Wernau and Zusha Elinson

July 14, 2020 5:30 am ET

MINNEAPOLISAmericans are buying guns in record numbers.

The new coronavirus pandemic, civil unrest after the killing of George Floyd and the ensuing movement to defund police are bringing in new buyers worried about their personal safety, according to buyers, store owners and gun experts.

Gun sales began rising to unusual highs in March, as coronavirus cases began surging in the U.S. and government-ordered lockdowns led to the highest unemployment levels since the Great Depression. The Federal Bureau of Investigation processed 7.8 million background checks for gun purchases from March to June, according to National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearms industry trade group.

In June, background checks for firearms were up 136%, compared to a year earlier, according to the trade group, which gives the best proxy for gun sales. Background checks in June for civilians seeking a license to carry were the highest since the FBI began conducting checks 20 years ago.

Dealers estimate that 40% of sales are going to first-time buyers, an increase over the normal average of about a quarter, according to an NSSF survey.

During most big sales increases, buyers tend to be gun aficionados or Second Amendment supporters. But this time, sales of handguns, which are used for personal safety, are the strongest.

Nearly two handguns, commonly used for self-protection, are being sold for every rifle or shotgun, according to federal data. In the past, the biggest surges in gun sales were fueled by rushes on AR-15 style rifles that Second Amendment activists feared might be banned by the government, such as after the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012.

That worries political leaders who are struggling to quell a recent surge in violence in cities around the U.S. Murders in Milwaukee, Chicago, Kansas City, Mo., and New York are on pace to see their highest levels in years, or even decades.

Gun stores were closed in some states in March amid a debate over whether they needed to be open during lockdowns, along with such essential businesses as grocery stores and gas stations. But eventually, all state governments allowed them to operate after the Trump administration said they should be considered essential businesses.

Among the new buyers are people who say they never thought they would own a firearm and were previously critical of those who did.

Cant access this Wall St Journal URL directly but if you click the story link from Drudge report it is readable...I assume they have a site referrer agreement.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/record-numbers-of-americans-try-to-buy-guns-11594719000

Snippets

By Julie Wernau and Zusha Elinson

July 14, 2020 5:30 am ET

MINNEAPOLISAmericans are buying guns in record numbers.

The new coronavirus pandemic, civil unrest after the killing of George Floyd and the ensuing movement to defund police are bringing in new buyers worried about their personal safety, according to buyers, store owners and gun experts.

Gun sales began rising to unusual highs in March, as coronavirus cases began surging in the U.S. and government-ordered lockdowns led to the highest unemployment levels since the Great Depression. The Federal Bureau of Investigation processed 7.8 million background checks for gun purchases from March to June, according to National Shooting Sports Foundation, a firearms industry trade group.

In June, background checks for firearms were up 136%, compared to a year earlier, according to the trade group, which gives the best proxy for gun sales. Background checks in June for civilians seeking a license to carry were the highest since the FBI began conducting checks 20 years ago.

Dealers estimate that 40% of sales are going to first-time buyers, an increase over the normal average of about a quarter, according to an NSSF survey.

During most big sales increases, buyers tend to be gun aficionados or Second Amendment supporters. But this time, sales of handguns, which are used for personal safety, are the strongest.

Nearly two handguns, commonly used for self-protection, are being sold for every rifle or shotgun, according to federal data. In the past, the biggest surges in gun sales were fueled by rushes on AR-15 style rifles that Second Amendment activists feared might be banned by the government, such as after the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012.

That worries political leaders who are struggling to quell a recent surge in violence in cities around the U.S. Murders in Milwaukee, Chicago, Kansas City, Mo., and New York are on pace to see their highest levels in years, or even decades.

Gun stores were closed in some states in March amid a debate over whether they needed to be open during lockdowns, along with such essential businesses as grocery stores and gas stations. But eventually, all state governments allowed them to operate after the Trump administration said they should be considered essential businesses.

Among the new buyers are people who say they never thought they would own a firearm and were previously critical of those who did.

That does not seem to be the case, with the click-through from the Drudge site. I did that, and it went to the WSJ site, and required a subscription.

But here appears to be the same article on Fox Business:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/record-numbers-americans-buy-guns

That does not seem to be the case, with the click-through from the Drudge site. I did that, and it went to the WSJ site, and required a subscription.

But here appears to be the same article on Fox Business:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/record-numbers-americans-buy-guns

Thanks. That is the same article.

Incidentally, the fact that a large percentage of the new gun owners were previously anti-gun does not surprise me at all. I've had a full five dozen people contact me, because they either know me or know of me through others, as a "gun guy" who supports a lot of socially liberal causes (gay rights, abortion, SWR, anti-sexual assault causes, et cetera). Of those 60, every single one of them I have found on their public social media as supporting either by direct writing from them or disseminating anti-firearm/gun control postings/tweets/et cetera.

Every single one.

And here's the kicker: Not a single one of them has a FOID card, and only 6—that's right, only 10%—are even eligible to have a FOID card, due to the rest of them being disqualified for various reasons as prohibited persons under Federal law who cannot legally own a firearm.

And yet, they want me to commit felonies by getting them firearms, secretly and undocumented, with no background check on them.

Right. Sure, that's going to happen.

Incidentally, the fact that a large percentage of the new gun owners were previously anti-gun does not surprise me at all. I've had a full five dozen people contact me, because they either know me or know of me through others, as a "gun guy" who supports a lot of socially liberal causes (gay rights, abortion, SWR, anti-sexual assault causes, et cetera). Of those 60, every single one of them I have found on their public social media as supporting either by direct writing from them or disseminating anti-firearm/gun control postings/tweets/et cetera.

Every single one.

And here's the kicker: Not a single one of them has a FOID card, and only 6—that's right, only 10%—are even eligible to have a FOID card, due to the rest of them being disqualified for various reasons as prohibited persons under Federal law who cannot legally own a firearm.

And yet, they want me to commit felonies by getting them firearms, secretly and undocumented, with no background check on them.

Right. Sure, that's going to happen.

And they would rat you out in a heart beat to suit their agenda or save their worthless hides!

Felons are people too.

They are, but these people would have me commit a felony on their behalf, to circumvent the laws that THEY supported.

If they want to regain the ability to keep and bear arms, then perhaps they should work to repeal those laws.

ChicagoRonin70-

That really sucks for the anti gunners who want a gun now, What do you tell them in your return email LOL? :no:

I instruct them on why it's a felony, castigate them for daring to ask me to put myself in a position to be like them (i.e., unable to own firearms), and tell them that if they ever ask me to do that again, I'll turn them in for conspiracy to commit a felony . . .

. . . and then add their name and information to a file that I may at some point turn into law enforcement, when they least expect it, and get them busted for their hypocritical, criminal behavior.

They had better hope that I never get into a position where I don't need to worry about burning the bridge that connects me to the social group that they occupy, because then I'll burn 'em, too!

ChicagoRonin70-

That really sucks for the anti gunners who want a gun now, What do you tell them in your return email LOL? :no:

I instruct them on why it's a felony, castigate them for daring to ask me to put myself in a position to be like them (i.e., unable to own firearms), and tell them that if they ever ask me to do that again, I'll turn them in for conspiracy to commit a felony . . .

. . . and then add their name and information to a file that I may at some point turn into law enforcement, when they least expect it, and get them busted for their hypocritical, criminal behavior.

They had better hope that I never get into a position where I don't need to worry about burning the bridge that connects me to the social group that they occupy, because then I'll burn 'em, too!

Appropriate and well deserved !

Felons are people too.

They are, but these people would have me commit a felony on their behalf, to circumvent the laws that THEY supported.

If they want to regain the ability to keep and bear arms, then perhaps they should work to repeal those laws.

Have any of them realized that they should change their positions on the 2A so that they can legally defend themselves?

I'll just mention....as I'm sure others have discovered....

Yes..I've come across a handful of first time gun owners...and many who don't have FOIDS that want guns.

I've been offered to sell/borrow to a few folks. Of course I refuse. Why? Because I have suggested in the past they get their FOID and/or buy 'something'. (In addition to explaining IL law)

I try not to be snarky in my refusal...but it boils down to the fact that you didn't prepare, you didnt take my advice..and in not-so-many-words that your failure is not my emergency.

About a month ago, I had a coworker ask me about getting a gun due to all the riots caused by violent leftists.

When he found out what the process required here in IL, he was shocked. He had no idea about the FOID card and how long it takes to get one, especially now.

He also didn't realize that the combination of the riots and all the Covid stuff had the effect of making guns and ammo nearly impossible to find.

It's just an example of how you really need to prepare BEFORE poop hits the fan.

I always keep a supply of guns, ammo, food, water, fuel and now toilet paper, just in case.

I had a friend tell me last week that he never had ANY interest in owning a gun until recently and is going to buy one.
At least he was aware of having to get a FOID and the inefficient system but he was surprised at hearing the shortages of guns and ammo.

About a month ago, I had a coworker ask me about getting a gun due to all the riots caused by violent leftists.

When he found out what the process required here in IL, he was shocked. He had no idea about the FOID card and how long it takes to get one, especially now.

He also didn't realize that the combination of the riots and all the Covid stuff had the effect of making guns and ammo nearly impossible to find.

It's just an example of how you really need to prepare BEFORE poop hits the fan.

I always keep a supply of guns, ammo, food, water, fuel and now toilet paper, just in case.

When these goofball legislators get in the media and tout accessibility and how easy it is to get guns, everyone believes them and asks no questions. Drives me crazy.

When these goofball legislators get in the media and tout accessibility and how easy it is to get guns, everyone believes them and asks no questions. Drives me crazy.

Yep, and it's a hard awakening when they learn how difficult it really is.

My coworker was shocked when he went into a gun store and they wouldn't even let him HOLD a gun without a FOID.

Have any of them realized that they should change their positions on the 2A so that they can legally defend themselves?

So, if I gave you 10 guesses, and the first nine don't count, what do you think the answer would be?

I brought that up and told them that it's because of the people they vote for and the policies that both those elected officials and they themselves support and advocate for, that they cannot and will likely never be able to legally own a firearm. Thus, they are condemned to be helpless victims against the things that are currently afraid will harm them.

The dumbfounded shock and outrage is amazing to watch, because I make it clear that they are the architects of their own misery (and potential demise), and that the things that they have smugly been championing for the past decades are what they are being hoist with their own petards.

At that point, some of them then rage that "well, then, nobody should have guns."

To which I tell them, the mob of people who might beat their heads in because they are mistaken for being on the wrong side, or who don't care that they are supposed to be "allies"—because the violent rioters don't give a hoot about your support of ideology, they just want to destroy and steal—will then be even more unstoppable when they attack them, because nobody will have the means to equalize the force used.

Except the police and military, who are (as we all know) racist murderers who need to be defunded and disbanded. (Note, I think that the police should absolutely be demilitarized, and should have no greater weaponry than the citizens that they are the servants of).

I am greatly enjoying the Schadenfreude that engenders in them, as they are forced to realize that if things go really bad, they are essentially doomed, their beliefs are useless, and their anti-firearm ideology and support over the years is what is going to be the cause of it.

I'm not at all surprised by the hypocrisy you also mentioned. In fact, I can see more clearly why they want more and more laws. As usual with anti-gunners, they project. Since they see themselves ignoring laws when they want to, EVERYONE must.

But the above quote I think is very illuminating on the anti-gun mind. There is an aspect of pettiness to it. In their minds, THEY can't, so no one should be able to. It explains more the complete illogical nature of their stance.

I'm not at all surprised by the hypocrisy you also mentioned. In fact, I can see more clearly why they want more and more laws. As usual with anti-gunners, they project. Since they see themselves ignoring laws when they want to, EVERYONE must.

But the above quote I think is very illuminating on the anti-gun mind. There is an aspect of pettiness to it. In their minds, THEY can't, so no one should be able to. It explains more the complete illogical nature of their stance.

It's not just ignoring the law that they project, its being a prohibited person. After all, if they are prohibited there is no way that 80 to 100 million people aren't prohibited

It reminds me of this episode of Beyond Scared Straight I saw once, the producer asked one of the kids why she wasn't concerned with going to jail and she said because everyone does time in jail before they are about 25, that's normal. The producer says she's never been to jail, cameraman, sound guy, everyone else on the film crew never been to jail. The kid seemed more shocked by that than anything she saw in the jail visit, that going to jail wasn't "normal" for most people

So, if I gave you 10 guesses, and the first nine don't count, what do you think the answer would be?

I brought that up and told them that it's because of the people they vote for and the policies that both those elected officials and they themselves support and advocate for, that they cannot and will likely never be able to legally own a firearm. Thus, they are condemned to be helpless victims against the things that are currently afraid will harm them.

The dumbfounded shock and outrage is amazing to watch, because I make it clear that they are the architects of their own misery (and potential demise), and that the things that they have smugly been championing for the past decades are what they are being hoist with their own petards.

At that point, some of them then rage that "well, the, nobody should have guns."

To which I tell them, the mob of people who might beat their heads in because they are mistaken for being on the wrong side, or who don't care that they are supposed to be "allies"—because the violent rioters don't give a hoot about your support of ideology, they just want to destroy and steal—will then be even more unstoppable when they attack them, because nobody will have the means to equalize the force used.

Except the police and military, who are (as we all know) racist murderers who need to be defunded and disbanded. (Note, I think that the police should absolutely be demilitarized, and should have no greater weaponry than the citizens that they are the servants of).

I am greatly enjoying the Schadenfreude that engenders in them, as they are forced to realize that if things go really bad, they are essentially doomed, their beliefs are useless, and their anti-firearm ideology and support over the years is what is going to be the cause of it.

I'd be enjoying the Schadenfreude if I were you as well. Civil rights include the 2A, and in fact you can see that playing out very clearly in Portland and coming next week to Chicago thanks to the Patriot Act and the FOP (re: military police assaulting non-violent protestors). Armed protestors don't get thrown in the back of an unmarked van by the TT (Trump Troopers). You can look very clearly to the history of gun control and see how it has been used to suppress those in the minorities of all political stripes and persuasions. People who are anti-2A don't read or understand history.

At that point, some of them then rage that "well, the, nobody should have guns."

I'd be enjoying the Schadenfreude if I were you as well. Civil rights include the 2A, and in fact you can see that playing out very clearly in Portland and coming next week to Chicago thanks to the Patriot Act and the FOP (re: military police assaulting non-violent protestors). Armed protestors don't get thrown in the back of an unmarked van by the TT (Trump Troopers). You can look very clearly to the history of gun control and see how it has been used to suppress those in the minorities of all political stripes and persuasions. People who are anti-2A don't read or understand history.

Indeed. We saw what occurred in Virginia, when tens of thousands of armed protesters showed up. Only a single arrest, which was ultimately unjustified, of a person wearing a mask during the protest for their own protection, no riots, and the protesters even cleaned up the entire protest area and left it CLEANER than when they arrived.

Same thing happened in Michigan, during the COVID-19 government overreach protests. No police violence directed at the hundreds of armed protesters, even the ones who were inside the capitol building.

I wonder why that is? Perhaps because as aggressively stupid and hubristic as many LEOs can be when their authoritah! is challenged, even they aren't big enough idiots to try to go toe-to-toe with a literal militia. Not only would they take unacceptable casualties, but the optics of law enforcement getting into a shooting battle with protesters would justify every claim of tyranny, but also result in a massive upwelling of further armed support, and people being removed from power by Constitutionally provided means.

Funny how that works, and even funnier, in a despicable way, that the people who are too ideologically blinded by their own stupidity still can't see, that it will always happen that way, except when the people have the ability to prevent a government monopoly on force—as the Founding Fathers intended.

Archived