Received FOID in 2016 revoked in 2017 after ordering Pistol

Talo19

I am in need of some direction. I received my FOID card in 8/2016. I just ordered a pistol last week. I received a message from the firearm dealer today telling me the State declined my authorization and to call them for details. I called and was told that I was denied and my FOID is revoked because I have a Felony conviction from 1990. I asked how did I pass the background and get sent the card. Any one have situation like this? Any advice on what to do now?

Thank You

Did you ever get a felony?

I had no idea I was convicted, I went to court once and was told I was "SOL" and I didn't need to come back to court anymore. Stupid 18 year old me was relieved and went on my way. I have went thru 27 years of like thinking I was felony free, worked many securtiy jobs where they criminal background check, perc card, etc. I went and picked up my criminal background from police station and sure enough says I received conditional discharge, so I am a felon regardless of what I remember

SOL means stricken on leave, which means it is kind of a dismissal (but they have a right to bring the case back if they want). Definitely NOT a conviction.

I'm assuming this happened in Cook County, since they do that frequently.

I figured there was some legal definition behind it, but not the first thing that came to mind :-). If not a conviction, then there should be some hope.

If someone tells me I am SOL, that is not going to leave me with relief! :-) You are not the first to have received a FOID, yet have something trigger the ISP to pull it later. As mentioned, Molly B will get you pointed in the right direction.

It gave me relief because she said I didn't have to come back anymore and if they wanted to pursue any further they would contact me. It wasn't a court public defender it was a free legal service that operated away from the courthouse , anyway I can't worry about what I should have thought at this point I have to figure out what steps next. For now Firearm dealer is holding gun to see if I get it resolved, I have a feeling it won't be resolved anytime soon.

SOL means stricken on leave, which means it is kind of a dismissal (but they have a right to bring the case back if they want). Definitely NOT a conviction.

I guess that is better, i always thought it meant S*** Outta Luck

Lol that's what I thought he meant, too.. didn't realize it was an actual type of disposition. :D

I guess that is better, i always thought it meant S*** Outta Luck

Lol that's what I thought he meant, too.. didn't realize it was an actual type of disposition. :D

lol thats what I thought also, but it was explained to me at 18 years old, that I didn't have to come back to court unless attorney called me, well here is the call 27 years later :)

They have limited time to bring case back, so after 27 years the case was clearly dismissed.

Problem is that , when I called the court today I was told that my case had 3 charges, Criminal damage to property, theft, and burglary and that the other 2 charges were dropped but I was convicted of burglary with a conditional discharge. So looks like I got duped some how. Still hoping for the best.

So you were apparently convicted of a crime, a felony, with no jail time, no fines, and no court costs?
In addition you were told never to come back to any court?

http://312defense.com/illinois-sentencing-ranges-index/conditional-discharge.shtml

There are usually conditions placed upon the defendant during the fixed period of conditional discharge. These conditions can include that the offender must report to the court’s social service department as directed, cannot violate any criminal statutes, must not possess a firearm, must not leave the state without permission, perform community service, pay restitution, fines, court costs, complete drug and alcohol treatment, and other conditions that the court determines appropriate.

Conditional Discharge is a conviction and an actual sentence on the offender.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying someone dropped the ball big time in Cook County.

You should have at least got some piece of paper from the court, either at the time or by mail later.

So you were apparently convicted of a crime, a felony, with no jail time, no fines, and no court costs?

In addition you were told never to come back to any court?

http://312defense.com/illinois-sentencing-ranges-index/conditional-discharge.shtml

There are usually conditions placed upon the defendant during the fixed period of conditional discharge. These conditions can include that the offender must report to the court’s social service department as directed, cannot violate any criminal statutes, must not possess a firearm, must not leave the state without permission, perform community service, pay restitution, fines, court costs, complete drug and alcohol treatment, and other conditions that the court determines appropriate.

Conditional Discharge is a conviction and an actual sentence on the offender.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying someone dropped the ball big time in Cook County.

You should have at least got some piece of paper from the court, either at the time or by mail later.

Well here is the latest, I just received a call back from cook county and was explained what happened, I was told the charge of Theft and Burglary were stricken, but I was convicted of the criminal damage to property, which is still a felony. I was given conditional discharge which I completed satisfactory. Either way I have the felony but not for burglary. So the criminal record I have in my possession from local police station where report was written has a disposition in someone's handwriting that says conditional discharge burglary . When I pick up papers from Court house I will see more info. Sad thing is I don't remember any conditional discharge but I clearly remember the SOL because I was confused. Anyway I still went on on to be fingerprinted background checked and worked at several different security firms with this felony.

ISP should of sent you a letter telling you your foid was revoked and that letter should of had info in it explaining what needs to be done if you wish to appeal that finding. If when you go to the courts building to get the original court documents and you find that it was not a felony conviction get a couple certified copies of the page that says that and send them to ISP w/ a letter explaining and your full name and DOB. If not you will have to go through the appeals process found in 430 ILCS 65/10c

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to give an update. I called ISP and left a message inquiring about my appeal. I received an email a week or so later telling me there is no time on appeals and that they would be taken in the order that they received them and would take as long as needed. Of course this was all communicated in a nicer tone but I surely understand what was meant by it. Needless to say the email also said my appeal was currently being reviewed.

• 5 months later...

Thanks everyone, I have no proof of what the "free legal defender" told me back in 1990 and My understanding is she is a judge now. I just don't get why they would even give me the card in the first place.

Yes Cook County

Everything we need to know is right there in the last line :(

I don't even live in cook county anymore, I have been out of cook county for over 20 years lol. Feels very strange knowing that if I didn't purchase(pay for) that Glock Talo edition I would still possibly have the FOID card. I really think it is not that difficult to approve or not approve my appeal. Just wanted to update everyone here. Enjoy the rest of your sunday.. what's cooking?

You should have received some notice regarding the revoked FOID after it happened. Did you ever get in communication with Molly?

I am already in touch with Molly. I only knew I was revoked because I tried to purchase weapon. The order was good until the handgun arrived at my local firearm dealer. They notified me when they tried to do check on me. The initial FOID check for me to purchase gun cleared, but the secondary check before I could pick it up caused the issue. I later received information of why. Basically not sure why they gave me a FOID if they were just going to revoke when I decided to purchase a firearm. The information that they used to revoke the FOID was the same information that they looked at when then accepted my fee and approved my FOID, nothing has changed nothing new was added. Just nonsense on their part

Does the record say what kind of consequence resulted from the conviction?

I'm VERY surprised that you got convicted of a felony, without fines, without court costs, without jail time, almost no consequences. Again, I think someone in Cook County dropped the ball big time.

I didn't pay anything. I actually went on to secure a 40 hour PERC card and then worked many many years as a security guard for several different companies having many background checks completed on me and nothing popped up. Again the whole issue is why would I be given the card in the first place? I have to deal with whatever the records say until I can get some resolution. For some reason this conviction has been buried this long.

Talo,

Are you looking to get your conviction expunged? Is it eligible for expungement? Since it appears you indeed were convicted of a felony, this may be your only avenue for relief. There are a few other posters here who are going through that process. I believe Molly has some links to resources if you go that route...

Please keep us informed as you go through the journey to regain your rights. Good luck!

Talo 19 went through the same thing in March 2017 was issued a FOID card went to GAT GUNS to buy a shotgun lady calls me on the 2nd day saying my transaction was denied called ISP next day gave them my transaction number came up a convicted felon told them there wrong because I have all my expunged papers sign and seal by the judge and clerk's office - they revoked my FOID card sent me a letter in the mail next day I have 7 detectives at my house to surrender all my firearms (9) total that was like a bad break up told them you guys are stupid how are you going to issue me a FOID card and don't except me to buy home protection once again I call ISP and got a ANGEL on the phone gave her my info explain what happen she check her computer came up clear she reinstated my FOID card call the detective who had my guns told them she was reinstating my FOID card and I'm clear to go pick my guns up I did --- NOW APPLY FOR CCL CAME UP WITH OBJECTION ---- YES I LIVE IN CROOK COUNTY --- good luck brother

Archived