What are the legal penalties for a CCL holder that accidentally shoots himself?

CHICAGO HANDGUN OWNER

Unlike in movies or TV, leaving a gunshot wound untreated can easily lead to serious infection and necrosis (gangrene). I don't recommend risking limb amputation or multi-system organ failure as a viable alternative to getting out of a municipal fine.

Assuming you weren't trying to kill yourself, you didn't harm anyone else, and you were in legal possession of the gun, you could be charged with reckless discharge of a firearm and/or discharging a firearm within city limits. Those are misdemeanor charges. Depending on the situation, someone might sue you for endangering them.

IANAL (or a doctor)

There's that pesky COC - almost as pesky as the Bill of Rights!! Dang Lou!!

Don't mess around - get the would professionally treated. Internal damage can be significant. That old cowboy crap of - "Oh it's just a shoulder wound" does not fly.

Trust me!!

Penalties - What Euler said... IANAL (or a doctor) - me neither...

When medical help arrives, tell them what happened so that they can initiate the proper treatment. Make sure to say it was accidental. When the police arrive, tell them it was an accident. I wouldn't say more than that without consulting a lawyer. The police are not likely to simply walk away. They're going to investigate. Hopefully they will reach the conclusion that you don't need to be charged with a crime and that a bullet hole is enough punishment..and that you're not a further danger to yourself or others.

Honestly, I could see Cook County prosecutors pressing charges and attempting to get your FOID and CCL revoked.

Probably legally deaf. IANALOJOTSCOTUS

I love the disclaimer. I had to think about it for a sec.

When medical help arrives, tell them what happened so that they can initiate the proper treatment. Make sure to say it was accidental. When the police arrive, tell them it was an accident. I wouldn't say more than that without consulting a lawyer. The police are not likely to simply walk away. They're going to investigate. Hopefully they will reach the conclusion that you don't need to be charged with a crime and that a bullet hole is enough punishment..and that you're not a further danger to yourself or others.

Honestly, I could see Cook County prosecutors pressing charges and attempting to get your FOID and CCL revoked.

Yes, probably this. Depending on where you live, you may have a strong likelihood of being charged. While you should never lie to the police, there is no need to incriminate yourself by talking.

My wife thinks I'm nuts but I do a lot of "operating" on myself with a pocket knife. I'm no doctor, but it's never been a big thing to me as I have some experience with wounds and do have a strong tolerance for pain.

But... I hope those guys get some REAL medical attention - those little holes could go way down south pretty quick.

Yes, probably this. Depending on where you live, you may have a strong likelihood of being charged. While you should never lie to the police, there is no need to incriminate yourself by talking.

Lying to the police isn't illegal. HOWEVER...I think it's better to say as little as possible or nothing at all rather than lie. Let your lawyer do the talking. That's what he or she is paid to do...and you will make their job easier (and less expensive) if you say less rather than more.

What are the legal penalties in Illinois for a CCL holder that accidentally shoots himself? Is it best to report the incident or just grin and bear it?

Happened in Morton Grove the other day and the news report said no charges were filed. I know a guy who had a ND in his Chicago apartment (no injuries) and no charges were filed. But I suspect if the cops really wanted, they could charge with reckless discharge of firearm.

How the heck can someone "grin and bear" a gun shot wound?!

Archived