FOID and Concealed Carry License Revoked!

Awan

Today, I received letters from ISP revoking my FOID and my Concealed Carry License. The letter states I have 48 hours to surrender the Concealed Carry License to the local law enforcement agency where I reside. It goes on the state "Failure to surrender your license may result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest."

The FOID revocation letter states I must complete a Firearm Disposition Record, disclosing the make, model, and serial number of each firearm owned by or under the control or custody of the revoked person. I have 48 hours of receiving the notice to comply with the notice.

I am so distraught! It took them 14 months to figure out I am no longer a resident of Illinois! I suppose I should contact them to ensure they don't issue a warrant.

Today, I received letters from ISP revoking my FOID and my Concealed Carry License. The letter states I have 48 hours to surrender the Concealed Carry License to the local law enforcement agency where I reside. It goes on the state "Failure to surrender your license may result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest."

The FOID revocation letter states I must complete a Firearm Disposition Record, disclosing the make, model, and serial number of each firearm owned by or under the control or custody of the revoked person. I have 48 hours of receiving the notice to comply with the notice.

I am so distraught! It took them 14 months to figure out I am no longer a resident of Illinois! I suppose I should contact them to ensure they don't issue a warrant.

I wonder if they'll agree to let you mail them back? I'd ask and mail them certified mail (or registered} return receipt requested.

I was thinking it would be a bummer if you were outside Illinois on vacation for a couple of weeks and the ISP sent a revocation letter like you got, and you were pulled over in a traffic stop and they'd issued a warrant for your arrest.

This is not correct for simply moving out of the state. You should not have gotten the Firearm Disposition record because you are no longer a resident of IL. Is something else going on? Please email me at vrowe (at) illinoiscarry.com

Sent the ISP a letter, you dropped off the ccw and foid at the local sheriff's. Sheriff, once he stopped laughing said he would hold them for ISP to show up in his round file. The sheriff then said Illinos should go quack itself......

p.s. better hurry in they empty the trash every Tuesday.

IL can't enforce their laws outside of it's border. You're no longer a resident, your FOID and CCL mean nothing.

Personally I'd tell them to get their heads out of their ***** and hang up, but a stern letter from my lawyer will make them go change their under britches too.

They want to issue a warrant that doesn't apply.

It boggles the mind how bad the ISP is. I'm on record as to being opposed to them having anything to do with CCL's.

If a warrant is issued, it can jump up to bite you at the most inopportune time in the future.

And as to suing the State of Illinois for damages after that doesn't matter because they are broke

and you would end up at the end of a long long line.

I am so distraught! It took them 14 months to figure out I am no longer a resident of Illinois!

$ How long did it take you to realize that you weren't a resident of Illinois is the real question? $

It does seem a little harsh for them to want you in Essence to register your guns when you give up up your FOID and CCL to them.

IL can't enforce their laws outside of it's border. You're no longer a resident, your FOID and CCL mean nothing.

Personally I'd tell them to get their heads out of their ***** and hang up, but a stern letter from my lawyer will make them go change their under britches too.

They want to issue a warrant that doesn't apply.

It boggles the mind how bad the ISP is. I'm on record as to being opposed to them having anything to do with CCL's.

I would work with Molly as she suggested in #4. Insulting phone calls or ignoring it will accomplish nothing. If a warrant is issued, even in error, the OP could be subject to a big hassle if stopped for a traffic incident in any state and the LEO runs him through the NCIC database.

I would work with Molly as she suggested in #4. Insulting phone calls or ignoring it will accomplish nothing. If a warrant is issued, even in error, the OP could be subject to a big hassle if stopped for a traffic incident in any state and the LEO runs him through the NCIC database.

A decent lawyer would have it all squashed in a hurry and if arrested on a bad warrant, a sizeable payday too.

I'm fortunate to have at least one ready to do whatever is needed.

My reply would read:

"As I am no longer a resident of Illinois AND I can legally own firearms where I live now, you will NOT be supplied with ANY information about the firearms I MAY own.

Enclosed is my FOID and CCL that you have revoked. This concludes any business we have. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

(signature)

Do NOT send it registered/certified and do NOT put your current return address anywhere on the letter or envelope. You are "out of state" and where you are is none of their business. :devil:

Might be worth a phone call to the number in the letter. Without giving your name of course. Just to see if they really understand that you've just left the state, and do they REALLY expect you to now register your firearms?? I'd love to hear that person try and explain how that's what you MUST do.

Did they send certified mail? If not, they have no proof you were notified.

No, regular mail - to my former address and the post office forwarded them to my current addy.

I was just going to ask what doofus sent a letter to surrender your FOID and CCL to an INDIANA address. Glad I read all the comments. Seriously though, you've got to be kidding me!

My reply would read:

"As I am no longer a resident of Illinois AND I can legally own firearms where I live now, you will NOT be supplied with ANY information about the firearms I MAY own.

Enclosed is my FOID and CCL that you have revoked. This concludes any business we have. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

(signature)

Do NOT send it registered/certified and do NOT put your current return address anywhere on the letter or envelope. You are "out of state" and where you are is none of their business. :devil:

And mail it in Chicago. Don't mail it near your residence, they can still read postmarks.

And mail it in Chicago. Don't mail it near your residence, they can still read postmarks.

How is mailing from Chicago or keeping his actual address a secret going to support his claim that he is no longer a resident of Illinois?

A letter from his actual residence in Indiana gives evidence that he is not subject to surrendering his firearms to Illinois. Cooperating by submitting pertinent in formation is not going to hurt his cause. Foot dragging and obfuscation are more likely to bring about the issuance of a warrant. That will show up on the NCIC database. A simple traffic stop can become an even bigger hassle.

I contacted the ISP, using the phone number on the letter. I spoke with an unknown service person and he said to mail bac the FOID and CCL, stating in the letter I cancelling my FOID and CCL. I asked about sending it certified and he said there is no reason. So, we'l'll see what happens - if I get a response letter from them. Also, he agreed, the firearms disposition part should be ignored. The letter went out today.

Archived