ISP Appeals - Request for Statistical Information - In Process

Most of the research that I have done has been focused on the procedural aspects of FOID and FCCL Appeals. I thought I would share some news with regard to another angle that I am trying to pursue. The successful assertion of a "due process" claim has two components....being able to demonstrate that there is a lack of timelines and procedures AND being able to demonstrate that there is a group of people being impacted. My effort to address the second component of the problem was seeking to gain some statistical information regarding the numbers of appeals filed for FOID Revocation and FCCL, the number of appeals processed.....approved, denied, and the average time it took to process an appeal. I am working on setting up with a legislator. Here is the response I got from the Illinois Auditor General's office in response to my inquiry

Dear Mr.t,

Thank you for your inquiry. Our FOID audit references a couple of ISP management reports that contain metrics which you have cited. ISP’s annual report contains information on applications submitted and processed. The most recent ISP annual report can be found on their web-site (http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/annrpt12.pdf). Another management report cited in our audit was the Jeopardy report. This report identifies applications over 30 days old that have not been processed.

An excerpt of that report is attached.

Much of our reporting on applications submitted and processed was not based on ISP management reports but rather, on an analysis of the FOID database. The results of that analysis are detailed in our audit report. As our audit pre-dates the establishment of the concealed carry program, we have no information on that program.

Regarding a resolution, I would suggest that since you know exactly what areas and issues you would like covered in an audit, that you work directly with a legislator in the drafting of a resolution. Appendix A to the audit report contains the general format of a resolution. In order to maintain our audit independence, the Auditor General’s Office is neutral on any legislation proposed by the General Assembly.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Archived