Basic Pistol Update

NRApistol

The NRA has had some changes in the works and will release them very soon. We want to make sure NRA Training Counselors are adequately and accurately informed so you can pass on the correct information to all those instructors that you have mentored and conducted training for throughout the years. Please let your instructors know that the NRA strives to create the courses that you want to teach and that your students want to take.

To that end, we have continued to fine tune the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting program to give instructors and students the ability to choose the delivery method that best suits their needs. There will be significant improvements to the existing Blended Learning version as well as the introduction of a NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting, Instructor Led Training (ILT) version, both of which will be conducted entirely under the direct supervision of an Instructor.

These changes will give NRA Certified Pistol Instructors the ability to administer both types of training in its entirety, and the freedom to choose the method based on the needs of the student.

The NRA will be sending an email with a full list of the changes to all NRA Instructors on March 22, 2017, with an official release date of April 4, 2017. In the meantime, we are counting on you to inform the instructors you have certified, of the upcoming changes.

On April 4, 2017, there will be an acknowledgement on the NRAInstructors.org sign-in page that pops up after logging into your account. This will be the notification that the enhancements are active, and you may begin to teach either course at your discretion.

The NRA worked with TCs to develop this program and listened to their concerns, thoughts and ideas.

Here is what’s happening to the Blended version of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course. Instructors may now purchase Course Control Codes (CCC), which they will issue to their students so they can access and complete the self-study portion of the Blended course. The instructor will promote it as the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course (Blended), and will confirm the student is aware of the course format. It is critical that the self-study portion be completed before they attempt the hands-on portion of Blended. The Instructor Led portion of Blended will be conducted in the manner set forth in the lesson plans that are available on the NRAInstuctors.org homepage. The reporting requirements and method of printing Course Certificates will be identical for Blended and Instructor Led courses.

Next, we will explore the new NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting, Instructor Led Training (ILT). The defining feature of this course is the obvious return to the traditional Instructor/student relationship. Something that isn’t so obvious is the flexibility to teach the full lesson plan or a condensed version which covers only one pistol action type (semi-auto or revolver). The lesson plans for ILT can be found in the Lesson Plans/PowerPoints section on the NRAInstructors.org homepage. Please note that if an instructor conducts the ILT version of the course, they are required to provide each of their students with a Basics of Pistol Shooting student packet. Packets are available at the NRA Program Materials Center and consist of the NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook, and a course exam. Also note that if the instructor conducts a single pistol action type course, they will need to indicate this on the course registration page in order to print the appropriate certificate which will state Revolver or Semi-Automatic as appropriate.

Here is what’s happening to the Blended version of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course. Instructors may now purchase Course Control Codes (CCC), which they will issue to their students so they can access and complete the self-study portion of the Blended course. The instructor will promote it as the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course (Blended), and will confirm the student is aware of the course format. It is critical that the self-study portion be completed before they attempt the hands-on portion of Blended. The Instructor Led portion of Blended will be conducted in the manner set forth in the lesson plans that are available on the NRAInstuctors.org homepage. The reporting requirements and method of printing Course Certificates will be identical for Blended and Instructor Led courses.

Next, we will explore the new NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting, Instructor Led Training (ILT). The defining feature of this course is the obvious return to the traditional Instructor/student relationship. Something that isn’t so obvious is the flexibility to teach the full lesson plan or a condensed version which covers only one pistol action type (semi-auto or revolver). The lesson plans for ILT can be found in the Lesson Plans/PowerPoints section on the NRAInstructors.org homepage. Please note that if an instructor conducts the ILT version of the course, they are required to provide each of their students with a Basics of Pistol Shooting student packet. Packets are available at the NRA Program Materials Center and consist of the NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook, and a course exam. Also note that if the instructor conducts a single pistol action type course, they will need to indicate this on the course registration page in order to print the appropriate certificate which will state Revolver or Semi-Automatic as appropriate.

so they have brought back a form of the old first steps

well done!

I did like the new materials in the instructor lead part of blended, RIP ....

How many of you NRA Instructors plan on going back to BP as the first 8 hours? The NRA will be sending you a little reminder:

As an NRA Certified Instructor, I stand by my commitment to serve the NRA, NRA members and the shooting community as a whole, I pledge to:

• Uphold the training standards of the NRA.
  • Keep current on NRA training program policies.
  • Schedule, organize, promote and conduct NRA Courses.
  • Provide an environment conducive to learning.
  • Project a positive image in dress, demeanor, and speech.
  • ​​Identify students having difficulty learning or performing tasks, and develop methods to aid them in accomplishing course objectives and standards.
  • Provide positive feedback.
  • Report training after each course.
    ​​​​​

When they get the course squared away and solidified I will consider it based on how I feel the new content and format measures up against my own.

They were told "blended only" would be a failure out of the gate by those of us who knew better....what they did to our instructors was a shameful disgrace.

Many of us advocated to simply make blended learning an option, to give the less experienced instructors a baseline.

What the NRA needed to do was aggressively persue unethical instructors, or those that simply lack the ability to engage students.

They decided to shun the talented instructors and TCs instead. You remember the threads where the koolaid drinkers ran here from out of state to defend their blind adolation of the turd of a program, before actually teaching it beyond cherrypicked test groups of former students? It was like watching a train speeding toward a milk truck stuck on a track....an ugly mess was unavoidable.

Still a bit tender for me.

Im hoping to offer BP standalone, at least for those who are not interested in carry.

Basic Pistol was one of my favorite NRA basic AND instructor courses to teach.

So as to the original question...it depends.

so they have brought back a form of the old first steps

well done!

I did like the new materials in the instructor lead part of blended, RIP ....

New materials will be coming out for instructor led....we shall see.

How many of you NRA Instructors plan on going back to BP as the first 8 hours? The NRA will be sending you a little reminder:

As an NRA Certified Instructor, I stand by my commitment to serve the NRA, NRA members and the shooting community as a whole, I pledge to:

• ​​Identify students having difficulty learning or performing tasks, and develop methods to aid them in accomplishing course objectives and standards.

​​​​​

Just curious, this is the official message from the NRA?

Cause the tone isn't setting well!

And not sure why an official from HQ isn't posting in here or the e-mails already sent out before having people posts info about upholding any pledge made or not made!

​​​​​

Just curious, this is the official message from the NRA?

Cause the tone isn't setting well!

And not sure why an official from HQ isn't posting in here or the e-mails already sent out before having people posts info about upholding any pledge made or not made!

No, the OFFICIAL email read "As an NRA Training Counselor, ........ Do you think instructors should be held to lower standards? That`s what brought us Blended Training in the first place. Unfortunately there are instructors that were not willing to uphold the training standards of the NRA.

Yes I do expect Instructors to be asked the same thing.

Ah, the lower standards approach.

Not sure I pledged allegiance to The NRA.

And maybe I'm reading and/or taking it wrong, but I'd have no qualms in dropping my support if they ask!

Maybe then the constant e-mails would stop.

But then I haven't received any correspondence from them other than the requests for more money.

I'll save any more replays for them, if and when I get something...........

Thanks for the blood pressure rise, at least it wasn't the Dems this time, they get all the hate lately, they get the day off I guess.

Didn`t mean to get you so upset. NRA instructors are required to uphold the standards of the NRA. It that a big surprise? If so, and you are an instructor, you need to re-take Basic Instructor Training.

Many Instructors and Training Counselors were quite embittered by the way the NRA stuffed blended learning down their throats. Some TCs were indirectly warned about publicly speaking in opposition when they first fielded the concept. Some more so than others. Contrary opinions were supressed and discussion was not invited.

To many who have been faithful to the NRA programs for a decade or more, this wasn't just an insult, it was a betrayal.

When you are recognized for instructing at a particularly high level, and are suddenly told that due to the incompetent losers (that should have been weeded out) you will now be reduced to teaching some half as, common core style online course...it makes the declaration of virtue seem a tad contrived.

I will always abide by those expectations, but sure as heck not because I am told to do so by the NRA or anyone else.

I believe, for all its faults, that the NRA is our best chance at establishing a future for our children that is not void of defensive arms.

As long as the T and E has set down the easy button "online quick buck crackpipe" and has returned to embrace the root values that unquestionably made the NRA the National standard for LE and Civilian training they will have my full support.

All in.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Basic Pistol Instructor Module to the NRA Training Counselor Guide has been released. We are still waiting on the new student packet info and other support material. Students will have the option of taking the blended training or all live training from an instructor. New instructors will still be required to complete the online version prior to instructor training. It looks like the new Basic Pistol Handbooks will be available to instructors.

Instructors check your email for update.

And maybe I'm reading and/or taking it wrong, but I'd have no qualms in dropping my support if they ask!

But then I haven't received any correspondence from them other than the requests for more money.

Thanks for the blood pressure rise, at least it wasn't the Dems this time, they get all the hate lately, they get the day off I guess.

Came across this in a google search on a different topic and thought I would pass it on. Rocco, sorry for editing the original post down to this but i think you hit the nail on the head.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

You entered into an agreement as as NRA instructor, much like a franchise agreement. You put your name on it. What is your word worth? .......

Rocco

«««««ROCCO M. WLODAREK»»»»»

CHIEF INSTRUCTOR/ TC

BLACK FLAG FIREARMS TRAINING

WWW.BLACKFLAGTRAINING.COM

847-561-6030

Just curious, NRApistol, are you with NRA Education & Training or are you simply passing along info you've received from NRA Education & Training.

Mark you should have received the same stuff from NRA T&E

Blended, no and no.

I haven't heard a word from the NRA on anything other than please renew your just renewed membership. I haven't logged in to the instructor portal since they sold us out. We have thousands of students out there and they got 100% from us. We are men of honor and that's the only pledge I take other than the one to our Flag.

Blended, no and no.

I haven't heard a word from the NRA on anything other than please renew your just renewed membership. I haven't logged in to the instructor portal since they sold us out. We have thousands of students out there and they got 100% from us. We are men of honor and that's the only pledge I take other than the one to our Flag.

On Mar 22 you should have gotten an e-mail on the changes - I'd shoot a note to John Howard at NRA if you didn't get one -

also on your instructor page there should be new materials any day now as I recall

Blended, no and no.

On Mar 22 you should have gotten an e-mail on the changes - I'd shoot a note to John Howard at NRA if you didn't get one -

also on your instructor page there should be new materials any day now as I recall

Thanks for the info...

Came across this in a google search on a different topic and thought I would pass it on. Rocco, sorry for editing the original post down to this but i think you hit the nail on the head.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

You entered into an agreement as as NRA instructor, much like a franchise agreement. You put your name on it. What is your word worth? .......

Rocco

«««««ROCCO M. WLODAREK»»»»»

CHIEF INSTRUCTOR/ TC

BLACK FLAG FIREARMS TRAINING

WWW.BLACKFLAGTRAINING.COM

847-561-6030[/size]

I absolutely stand by that statement in its original context, accompanied by the preceding text.

What needs to be clarified, as you are relatively new to the TC role, is that in this type of "franchise" or licencing agreement per say, part of your contract is the direct understanding that the product you have paid a premium to deliver to your customer base will not suddenly plummet in quality and dramatically change in scope. That is how a contract works.

When you enter into a liscencing agreement for training, the sponsoring agency is providing a product that you agree to deliver with measured proficiency. They do not want artists, they want craftsman. They are not looking for someone to change the basic formula, they want the public to have a degree of uniformity in base content.....the condiments you provide are an added bonus respective to your experience and are welcome.

If the sponsoring agency decides to change the product in order to drastically increase profitability, and the high end product is now a turd in a tube.....Experienced Instructors are not going to push it. This looked like ****, smelled like ****, and went over as well as a turd on a fancy plate with not only the instructors who had been sold for years on the establishment of TPI and immersive, in-person training as one of the CORE tenants of the NRA's basic programs, but also with the target demographic.

Like NEW COKE, blended was an utter failure, and a drain on the flagship franchises resources. But, I digress.

Experienced instructors are rightfully indignant from the betrayal...not that they developed a blended program...that they tried to force it down their throats after unapologetically courting the development of new instructors in IL to use BP as their first 8 hours, and then basically shrugging off their concerns that the new blended would not be recognized.

That dismissal left some compramised feelings.

Over time, and with some experience developing instructors on your own, you may have some empathy forthe lingering hard feelings. It is up to us to mend those fences now.

Rocco

Archived