FOID denied, don't know why

I have let this sit on the back burner too long... My FOID says it was denied, but I never got anything why. I applied by paper just before they went to the online system. I sent several emails and the only reply I got was that I would have been sent an explanation for the denial. I didn't receive any such mail. I tried calling a couple times and was on the never ending hold for over 30 minutes and even got disconnected once. Without knowing why I was denied, I don't know what paperwork to file.

Is there any other way for me to find out besides sitting on the phone for an endless period of time to probably end up hearing the same thing?

Without knowing why it was denied, I don't know what to appeal. I don't want to file the wrong paperwork and end up with an even bigger headache.

I would Reapply online. It's only 11.00 and at least you'll know exactly why if they deny you again!

Can't. It doesn't give me the option.

Try sending an email to this address: askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us

If that doesn't work then send me a private message.

I'll give that a shot. Any idea how long I should wait for a response? Week, Month?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at least I got a response! Denial was because I answered yes to the mental health institution question. That is a confusing question that I obviously answered incorrectly. While I see a psych for OCD once a year just for meds, I have NOT been in any kind of institution. The way I interpreted the question was that it included the doctor's office as being in a facility. I had filed my FOID application just before the online system was put in place.

So, I downloaded the appeal forms and plan to send them in. What can I do to increase the likelihood of a successful appeal? Exactly which forms do I need to fill out? I don't want to miss ANYTHING!

Here is the actual email response:

denied for answering yes to a criminal history question that you have been in a mental intuition in the past 5 years.

​Worded that way, I should have answered NO.

​Thanks Molly B. for pointing me in the right direction!

Well, at least I got a response! Denial was because I answered yes to the mental health institution question. That is a confusing question that I obviously answered incorrectly. While I see a psych for OCD once a year just for meds, I have NOT been in any kind of institution. The way I interpreted the question was that it included the doctor's office as being in a facility. I had filed my FOID application just before the online system was put in place.

So, I downloaded the appeal forms and plan to send them in. What can I do to increase the likelihood of a successful appeal? Exactly which forms do I need to fill out? I don't want to miss ANYTHING!

Here is the actual email response:

denied for answering yes to a criminal history question that you have been in a mental intuition in the past 5 years.

​Worded that way, I should have answered NO.

​Thanks Molly B. for pointing me in the right direction!

https://ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/AppealRequest.pdf

https://ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/Investigation.pdf

https://ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/Affidavit-Question8.pdf