Wisconsin or Indiana

DinDin

Why not consider other nearby gun friendly states such as Missouri and Tennessee also? I keep recalling quote from the "Bob Lee Swagger" character from the film Shooter, who says this notable quote:

"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff!"

With the Democrats now in control of both house and the governors mansion, I too am now looking to relocate, probably somewhere over the State line in Indians. Pritzger has made it very clear as to what he wants to do regarding Second Amdt and there is now nothing we can realistically do to stop it. I am too old and the shooting sports have been a part of my life for too long to live here much longer. Any indiana realtors here?

Indiana if you need to stay near, Tennessee if not. We moved to Lake county Indiana several years ago and like it much better than Illinois. Sadly, Lake county is solid 2/3 Dem. My daughter and family moved to Texas two years ago and she mentioned if Texas goes blue they will look at Tennessee.

I have a good friend who moved to Tennessee several years ago and loves it.

Out of the two states you inquired about, I'd clearly choose Indiana. Free state and seems to be 2A strong. While I certainly love the beauty of Wisconsin, there are many pockets of the state with large populations that are ultra anti 2A and far left progressives. Heck, a guy I worked with for 25 years who was 100% conservative moved to Madison to open a new business. We're still great friends, however, truth be told, I hardly recognize him when we chat on the phone. He's been completely converted to an anti 2A and even worse, an outright progressive. But hey, if we were all the same, it'd be a pretty boring world. Like I said, we're still great friends, and will be until we die. We just see things differently. That's the beauty of living in a free country.

Move south. Taxes are way too high in Wisconsin and it's always in danger of going blue. Indiana doesn't really have anything great.

Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, or West Virginia. In WV the Dem's are actually tolerable, I went to a recently opened free to the public shooting range that had Joe Manchin at its opening ceremony.

Even further but Georgia is very 2a friendly as well and has a lot of other stuff going for it.

Tennessee is looking better too me all the time

Been here a couple months, and it's really looking good to me! Nashville and Memphis tried to screw things up, but Dems only gained 1 seat in the state legislature, and got kicked just about everywhere in the state. Maybe the legislature is now down to 80% or so Republican.

What about Iowa? While we're discussing the surrounding states, what's some opinions on Iowa? That's not a far move for me, and I have friends in Savanna.

I always heard Iowa was marginal for shooters. Is that true?

Years ago, being able to get a carry permit depended on the mindset of your county Sheriff, who had the power to not issue. I believe that all changed before Illinois had carry. I used to check in periodically at IowaCarry. It's been awhile...

IIRC to buy a handgun in Iowa you first have to buy a permit to buy a handgun from the sheriff.

There may be new rules in 2017... this sounds similar to a FOID.

The application has FOID like questions but you obtain one from your County Sheriff. Must have valid state ID and $25.

In Iowa, no handgun may be transferred until the transferee obtains a five-year permit to acquire a handgun, which becomes valid three days after the date of application. After the permit is issued, the holder may purchase additional handguns without a waiting period for five years (the duration of the permit).Sep 13, 2018

IIRC to buy a handgun in Iowa you first have to buy a permit to buy a handgun from the sheriff.

There may be new rules in 2017... this sounds similar to a FOID.

The application has FOID like questions but you obtain one from your County Sheriff. Must have valid state ID and $25.

In Iowa, no handgun may be transferred until the transferee obtains a five-year permit to acquire a handgun, which becomes valid three days after the date of application. After the permit is issued, the holder may purchase additional handguns without a waiting period for five years (the duration of the permit).Sep 13, 2018

But their CCL waives this. It looks like they have really cleaned up their laws in the last few years - first shall issue, then preemption and now SBRs. Iowa is on my short list, at least I wouldn’t have to drive around the bottom of the lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Post #68 on Page 3. http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70432&page=3&do=findComment&comment=1182558

There are 4 links there that might help in deciding where to go.

Also, remember that both AZ and WY are OC although WY is for "residents only" last I heard. If you can stand the heat of southern AZ and don't mind having to learn a second language, it has a lot of amenities. Northern AZ is pretty cold and barren, as is a good portion of WY.

As for state sales taxes, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Tennessee seem to be dancing around each other to see who can be the highest. Over the last three years that I have checked, those three have alternated being #1 - #3 for the highest taxes.

Archived