HB1468 due for Governor decision?

InterestedBystander

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=10000HB1468ham001&GA=100&SessionId=91&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=101958&DocNum=1468&GAID=14&Session=

Looks like the 60 days are almost up for the governor to make a decision on the 72hr waiting period on "assault weapons"

3/14/2018 House Passed Both Houses

3/15/2018 House Sent to the Governor

(720 ILCS 5/2-3.1 new)

7 Sec. 2-3.1. Assault weapon. "Assault weapon" means:

8 (1) any rifle which has a belt fed ammunition system or

9 which has a detachable magazine capable of holding more than 10

10 rounds of ammunition;

11 (2) a semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a

12 detachable magazine and has any of the following:

13 (A) a folding or telescoping stock; or

14 ( B ) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or

15 completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the

16 shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand

10000HB1468ham001 - 2 - LRB100 03292 SLF 36700 a

1 without being burned;

2 (3) a semi-automatic pistol that has the ability to accept

3 a detachable magazine and has any of the following:

4 (A) a folding or telescoping stock;

5 ( B ) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or

6 completely encircles the barrel, and that permits the

7 shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand

8 without being burned; or

9 ( C ) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the

10 pistol is unloaded;

11 (4) a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine that has

12 the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; or

13 (5) a semi-automatic shotgun that has:

14 (A) a folding or telescoping stock; and

15 ( B ) contains its ammunition in a revolving cylinder; or

16 ( C ) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds of

17 ammunition, except as may be authorized under the Wildlife

18 Code and excluding magazine extensions during the snow

19 geese conservation order season; or

20 (D) an ability to accept a detachable magazine of more

21 than 5 rounds of ammunition;

22 (6) a .50 caliber rifle centerfire rifle capable of firing

23 a .50 caliber cartridge. The term does not include any antique

24 firearm, any shotgun including a shotgun that has a rifle

25 barrel, or any muzzle-loader which uses black powder for

26 hunting or historical re-enactments. In this paragraph (6),

10000HB1468ham001 - 3 - LRB100 03292 SLF 36700 a

1 ".50 caliber cartridge" means a cartridge in .50 BMG caliber,

2 either by designation or actual measurement, that is capable of

3 being fired from a centerfire rifle. The term ".50 caliber

4 cartridge" does not include any memorabilia or display item

5 that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is

6 otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready

7 modification for use as live ammunition or shotgun ammunition

8 with a caliber measurement that is equal to or greater than .50

9 caliber.

10 "Assault weapon" does not include:

11 (1) any firearm that:

12 (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide

13 action;

14 ( B ) is an unserviceable firearm or has been made

15 permanently inoperable;

16 ( C ) is an antique firearm;

17 (D) uses rimfire ammunition or cartridges; or

18 (E) has been excluded as an assault weapon in a

19 Department of Natural Resources rule. The Department of

20 Natural Resources shall have the authority to adopt rules

21 to further define exclusions of assault weapon types under

22 this Section, provided the make, model, and caliber of the

23 firearm excluded has a viable application to hunting game

24 and conforms to accepted hunting principles of fair chase.

25 (2) any air rifle as defined in Section 24.8-0.1 of this

26 Code.

10000HB1468ham001 - 4 - LRB100 03292 SLF 36700 a

1 In this Section, "antique firearm" has the meaning ascribed to

2 it in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(16).

The worst effect of this is putting AWB legal framework of what constitutes an "assault weapon" on the state books. That means the language is accepted wholesale to be easily applied to other laws.

Death by a thousand cuts, this is dangerous political maneuvering because in its current form it doesn't apply to most of us so we shrug it off.

The worst effect of this is putting AWB legal framework of what constitutes an "assault weapon" on the state books. That means the language is accepted wholesale to be easily applied to other laws.

Death by a thousand cuts, this is dangerous political maneuvering because in its current form it doesn't apply to most of us so we shrug it off.

Yep, and it is bad language at that.

Yep, its all about setting up the wording for the not so distant future when they pass the actual ban. Anything that's a semi automatic, holds more than 10 rounds or takes a detachable magazine will be gone.

And then once all those firearms are banned they will find a way to go after whatever is left. Democrats are absolutely disgusting.

Yep, its all about setting up the wording for the not so distant future when they pass the actual ban. Anything that's a semi automatic, holds more than 10 rounds or takes a detachable magazine will be gone.

And then once all those firearms are banned they will find a way to go after whatever is left. Democrats are absolutely disgusting.

All about incrementalism. They never give up!

Though to be exact, 1468 says semi autos that take detachable mags, AND one of Shroud or Telescoping or collapsible stock.

It also never actually defines what a 'detachable magazine' is. Seems to me, that a lot of the California 'work-arounds' would keep an AR15, for instance sellable to under 21 year olds.

The bill is so badly written, there are a LOT of ways around it, imho.

Granted it, could be amended.

I hate these dumb waiting periods, not only because they infringe upon my rights, but because I can't easily buy a firearm locally. But maybe that's the point, to make it harder to buy firearms.

I live in the city, so I already have to drive out of my way to find a gun shop. If I buy locally, I have to make a second trip to pick it up.

I've heard awesome things about Marengo Guns selection and prices, but I'm not driving 2.5hr round trip, then having to come back in a few days.

Though to be exact, 1468 says semi autos that take detachable mags, AND one of Shroud or Telescoping or collapsible stock

but detachable magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition feels pretty broad.

10 rounds of ammunition;

Though to be exact, 1468 says semi autos that take detachable mags, AND one of Shroud or Telescoping or collapsible stock

but detachable magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition feels pretty broad.

10 rounds of ammunition;

not really, imho. To me, it means anything that isn't classified as AW in other part, that runs a detachable magazine that can hold 11 rounds or more of ammunition for that rifle.

The grey area would be if it banned magazines, and specified a rd limit, as there are some mags that take different calibers, and different amounts depending on which.

The real problem is codifying that the concept of 'assault weapon' exists at all.

10 rounds of ammunition;

not really, imho. To me, it means anything that isn't classified as AW in other part, that runs a detachable magazine that can hold 11 rounds or more of ammunition for that rifle.

The grey area would be if it banned magazines, and specified a rd limit, as there are some mags that take different calibers, and different amounts depending on which.

The real problem is codifying that the concept of 'assault weapon' exists at all.

Don't worry, they are also gonna specifically ban any magazine over 10 rounds so there won't be any confusion.

Don't worry, they are also gonna specifically ban any magazine over 10 rounds so there won't be any confusion.

Yep, "high capacity" magazines are on their radar, and they will be more than happy to make possession of one a felony.

I wonder if Governor Rauner is waiting to see what else gets passed out of both houses. I am willing to bet he wants a gun control 'win' to be able to show to the easily swayed middle of the road on the subject of guns, that have been mis-informed. I am HOPING he also wants one that is the least impactful, so as to keep those of us that are pro-2A not too unhappy.

I'm surprised they're not banning bolt, lever and pump firearms given their use (historically) in more than one armed conflict and adoption by more than one military.

If that is the case, might as well include muzzle loaders and muskets, bow and arrow, knives, swords, axes, clubs, rocks, and any other weapon used in a war at some time.

I'm surprised they're not banning bolt, lever and pump firearms given their use (historically) in more than one armed conflict and adoption by more than one military.

If that is the case, might as well include muzzle loaders and muskets, bow and arrow, knives, swords, axes, clubs, rocks, and any other weapon used in a war at some time.

If they're going to play the game of banning 'assault' weapons, they might as well do it right.

Don't forget boomerangs, bolas, slings, slingshots, blowguns, and sharp sticks. Might as well through siege equipment in there as well...

Don't forget boomerangs, bolas, slings, slingshots, blowguns, and sharp sticks. Might as well through siege equipment in there as well...

I’m sorry, but no. I’m NOT giving up my trebuchet!

I’m sorry, but no. I’m NOT giving up my trebuchet!

Nobody needs a high capacity assault trebuchet Steve...

I forget where I read it, but probably on a link from here. Someone asked UK police recently in a UK online forum, given the prohibition on most kinds of self defense in the UK, what are the defensive weapons that private individuals are actually allowed to own and use. The police responded that only whistles, airhorns, electronic buzzers, and other noise-making devices are permitted. Any device or substance capable of inflicting pain or bodily harm on an attacker would be considered an "offensive weapon" and therefore a crime to possess and use.

Don't forget harsh language.

Archived