Proposed "Assault Weapons Ban" is Back - The Fight Is On

Molly B.

Proposed "Assault Weapons Ban" is Back - The Fight Is On

Stop HB1294, HB1599, HB1855

Chicago legislators once again are trying to rule over gun owners statewide. The outrageous "Assault Weapons Ban" is back via State Rep. Eddie Acevedo who represents District 2 in Chicago. HB1294 is a repeat effort to ban just about every sporting and self-defense gun owned in Illinois, along with magazines holding more than 10 rounds, unless of course you still have the receipt from when you bought the gun or magazine some 15-20-30 years ago. This is another attempt by Chicago and Cook County to prevent law-abiding citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights.

Along with HB1294, Acevedo also introduced HB1599, increasing the penalty of being in possession of high capacity ammunition when committing an offense - what's that you say? What's high capacity ammunition? Apparently it is anything 50 caliber or larger but no distinction is made between pistol, rifle, or shotgun ammo. All shotgun ammo over .410 would be banned.

Acevedo's trio of atrocities against gun owners includes HB1855

which would penalize the victims of gun theft by barring them from owning firearms permanently if they didn't report a theft within 72 hours of knowing about it - but who is to determine when someone knew or should have known about a theft? There in lies the danger.

Call your State Representative TODAY! Tell him/her to vote NO on

HB1294, HB1599, and HB1855.

To find your district or state representative, go to

the Illinois State Board of Elections

And this will pass a floor vote how? Didn't we just miss CCW by 6 votes shy of a super-majority in the House? Did anyone count the votes on this bill? I kind of tend to think So. Ill is not gonna let this happen. The Senate Dems down here don't seem to be all that big on the idea, so how will it pass both houses?

I don't think it needs a supermajority, I think someone said it only needs a simple Majority.....and this is an election year so anything can happen.

The requirement to report lost or stolen firearm has been put on postponed consideration. The other two are still scheduled to be debated in their individual committees.

Just to clarify a little, HB1294 and HB1599 were at 3rd Reading last spring and were returned to Rules when they didn't make the final action deadline. Rules recently approved them for consideration again and they are now back at 3rd Reading, not in committee.

HB1855 was also at 3rd Reading and was actually called by the sponsor on 4/13/2011. He pulled it from consideration when the vote was 50 Yes/66 No. See post #36 in this thread. Its also back at 3rd Reading.

So really, any of the 3 could be voted on at any time, but that doesn't mean they will be voted on.

Sure the bill only needs a majority to pass, but how can it when we've only just missed getting a super-majority on CC? Do we expect to lose that may votes, especially in an election year?

Can't see the state senate signing off on it with all the downstate support for gun rights. My state senator would never consider it & he's a Dem. My state rep. won't go for it either, although he only gets a B- from the NRA. (He's a Republican, my senator is a Dem. with an A+ NRA rating.)

Not seeing how this is a real issue, anyone count the votes for it?

Sure the bill only needs a majority to pass, but how can it when we've only just missed getting a super-majority on CC? Do we expect to lose that may votes, especially in an election year?

Can't see the state senate signing off on it with all the downstate support for gun rights. My state senator would never consider it & he's a Dem. My state rep. won't go for it either, although he only gets a B- from the NRA. (He's a Republican, my senator is a Dem. with an A+ NRA rating.)

Never take your eye off the enemy and never underestimate him. Take nothing

for granted. Make the call.

I know you're trying to spread a message that's important to you but the opportunity to define Right to Carry as a grass roots victory instead of a Conservative grass roots victory is now, not after it happens. You can continue to argue about minutiae if you want but I wish you would use some of your energy making our eventual win everybody's victory.

We could use some help monitoring new bills. I would welcome yours if you feel like lending a hand.

I have two homes. One here in Illinois, another in Michigan. I would really hate to move. All my friends are here. But, although "they" call this an assault weapons ban, it really bans most generic automatics, and even things like my Henry Varmint Express 17HMR. It would be disastrous if this passed. Living in Joliet, I have Jack McGuire for my representative who is every bit as anti gun as Acevedo. All I can really do it use Google Checkout and give more money to Illinois Carry. Prolly, some to ISRA as well. I really hope I don't have to move.

Mauser; If CCW passes in Illinois it will be a grass-roots win, not a conservative victory. I've always said as much, nothing new.

Conservatives are leading the movement to be sure, & I support it. I'm just cynical about it happening without SCOTUS ruling on the subject, I've lived here too long not to be.

I just can't see any new bans coming about due to how close we were to getting CCW.

We would be stronger if all sides could join together to achieve Right to Carry. Conservatives are leading the charge to be sure and, because of that, it is often portrayed as a "right wing" movement. If we could change that perception to "activists from both sides of the aisle are in favor of concealed carry" it could only help our cause. Its not enough to think its a good idea - I'm talking about working toward achieving it. Like any movement, that has to happen one person at a time.

As far as the "assault weapons" ban goes I understand your point. In my opinion, though, things like that succeed when we stop fighting them. Our voices are the barrier to their success.

Mauser; I can't speak for all liberals, just myself. I'm good on CCW & down on assault rifle/hi-cap mag bans & will stand with conservatives/GOP in the area of gun rights, as I believe every Democrat here will. I also express my views on the subject to my liberal/left-leaning friends.

I believe the issue now breaks down more along an urban/rural demographic than simply Dem/Repub since the Clinton ban. The Dems know it cost them & now the die-hard anti's are urban Democrats. I live in a heavily Democratic county but most here are good on gun ownership.

The best way I've found to convert someone is to take them out to the range & let them shoot a gun. When they start getting 1" groups @ 50 yds with a .22 (cheap match ammo, not bulk) they're hooked. I focus mostly on women & kids. The women vote & the kids will soon enough.

Looks like Kelly Cassidy from the 14th just became a co-sponsor.

Maybe some of you guys from her district can call her up and point out the error of her ways? Though from her Bio I don't hold out much hope at all....the fact she was involved heavily with NOW kind of seals the deal.

http://www.ilga.gov/house/rep.asp?GA=97&MemberID=1803

Mauser; I checked it, but most of these bills aren't going anywhere. When one makes it past a house & has a reasonable possiblity of passing the other house I'll be on it. The vast majority of these bills are not realistic yet.

If anything gets close I'll be happy to be front & center with an impassioned argument for gun rights. I will do so as an unabashed liberal (not a moderate) Democrat.

I do not live in his district, and he doesnt know that. A simple email to as many reps as you can wont take but a few minutes of your time.

Dear Sigma

Thank you for contacting me about Illinois gun rights. I am strong supporter of the Second Amendment. I co-sponsored and vote in favor of HB 148, which would have allowed a conceal carry law in Illinois. The Illinois House Rules Committee recently approved three anti-gun bills for consideration and Chicago Mayor Emanuel is calling for state wide registration of all handguns. This is another example of Chicago politicians trying to thwart the ability of law-abiding Illinois residents to protect themselves and their families.

HB 1294 would make it illegal to manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge . It would also be unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device. These provisions do not apply to a person who possessed a prohibited weapon, device, or attachment before the effective date of this amendatory Act if the person has provided proof of ownership to the Department of State Police within 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act.

HB 1599 would classify countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns as semi-automatic assault weapons and would classify as high capacity ammunition any ammunition of .50 or more caliber. This bill would also create enhanced felony penalties under the Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) statute if a semi-automatic assault weapon or high capacity ammunition is involved.

HB 1855 would create penalties for individuals who have had their firearms stolen if they fail to report the theft within 72 hours after obtaining knowledge of the theft. The crime victim would be charged with committing a petty offense. A second offense could lead to the crime victim losing his or her Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card, thus losing the right to own ANY firearm.

I will continue to protect your Second Amendment rights and keep you updated on these bills and any other gun legislation that is considered this spring. Be assured, that I will advocate on your behalf in Springfield.

Sincerely,

Jason A. Barickman

State Representative

Mauser; I checked it, but most of these bills aren't going anywhere. When one makes it past a house & has a reasonable possiblity of passing the other house I'll be on it. The vast majority of these bills are not realistic yet.

If anything gets close I'll be happy to be front & center with an impassioned argument for gun rights. I will do so as an unabashed liberal (not a moderate) Democrat.

Its OK belercous. If you can't, you can't.

Besides, you always struck me as the kind of guy that would prefer making tongue depressors...

Archived