2A rating for judges for the upcoming election (or ISRA position)

EngChi

I know most of the judges running in the major races.

Cates and Overstreet (running for supreme court) are both Second Amendment friendly. I'm personally voting for Cates, but if guns are your sole issue, they are about even.

Judge Smith, (running for appellate court) is also Second Amendment friendly.

"Cates"? Would that be Judy Cates? If so, I have seen one or two signs but no TV ads. What are the reasons for your preferring her over Overstreet?

• 4 weeks later...

I see a lot of ads recently to get rid of Kilbride (3rd judicial district) from the IL Supreme Court as a Madigan plant.

Most of the "interesting" 2A cases go to Federal court, so I had to dig to find any that went to the IL Supreme Court. There are probably a lot of cases I didn't find, but ....

People v Brown (2020). Kilbride voted with the non-unanimous majority who found that the White County court did not have to rule the FOID unconstitutional to decide the case (Brown had a single shot 22LR for home defense, but no FOID), so they overturned the ruling of the FOID's unconstitutionality and sent the case back with instructions.

People v Webb (2019). Kilbride voted with the unanimous majority who found that the state prohibition on stun guns was unconstitutional.

People v Aguilar (2013). Kilbride voted with the non-unanimous majority who found that the (former) state law unconditionally prohibiting carry of a loaded firearm was unconstitutional. (That law got wiped when FCCA passed, I believe.)

Illinois v Diggins (2009). Kilbride voted with the unanimous majority who found that an automobile center console was a case for purposes of transporting a firearm.

I realize the ads are based on broader issues than 2A. Kilbride does appear to identify as Democratic. Maybe that's enough for the ads.

It's not a source of 2A info, but I think it's worthwhile to look at the Illinois State Bar Association ratings. Ratings are Highly Recommended, Recommended, and Not Recommended. There are also more detailed numerical scores for judges outside Cook County, if you want to dig into it. (Apparently the Chicago Bar Association isn't good with numbers or something.)

Outside Cook County, Judy Cates (D), David Overstreet (R), Sarah Smith (D), and Mark Boie (R) are all Highly Recommended. Everyone else was just Recommended or Not Recommended.

Cook County

Outside Cook County

If you want a Madigan puppet , vote for Judy Cates. She is a Democrat , Overstreet is a Republican.

The Kilbride vote is to retain him, you aren't voting for someone else.

You are only voting to retain him or oust him.

11 million dollars in a state retain or oust campaign?

Something is very wrong with that.

Madigans given Kilbride millions in his last two retention elections.

That's gotta be bad for us.

I would vote for Overstreet but that's downstate.

Cates seems very cozy with Madigan.

JTHunter asked about downstate . I am downstate also . I was answering his question as I feel about it. Besides , I said nothing about Kilbride.

Archived