Any news on when the renewal button will become active?

HeavyDuty

Less than five months now. Still no letter and no renewal button...

Is this 5 month window based on anything besides wishful thinking?
They have the same 90/120 day window as per original application. In an interview I read (dont recall if a post here or at GSL) they recommended 5 months before to allow extra time for initial higher volume. They just need to get the process in place and renewal buttons active by then.

As long as you applied, your license is still good, so there is no hurry on their part. What will be the challenge is having a system that shows you have applied and having that available to all law enforcement in Illinois so when they see your expired license, they can check and see you are still good.

Maybe the current system is already setup with that feature, I don't know.

It is not just LE in IL. CCLs are also reported through Nlets to member agencies/states for look up outside of IL.

>>>>>The ISP has not informed any instructors I know of. The 5 months came from a news report by a Springfield TV station.

Are you saying the ISP doesn't diligently contact instructors? no way bro ,,,

All I know is that I won’t be in too big of a hurry to renew early. My FOID expires December 1 this year. I filled out the renewal online and got a new card a few weeks later that expires September 22, 2028. I lost 2 1/2 months for doing it early. My way of thinking is that it should have gone 10 years from December 1.

CCL will probably be the same way. And the law states that as long as you sent in your renewal and are otherwise legal to carry, you can carry past the expiration date. Don’t do the state any favors by renewing early. They won’t do any favors for you. I plan to renew around Feb 1. My CCL expires Feb 28.

All I know is that I wont be in too big of a hurry to renew early. My FOID expires December 1 this year. I filled out the renewal online and got a new card a few weeks later that expires September 22, 2028. I lost 2 1/2 months for doing it early. My way of thinking is that it should have gone 10 years from December 1.

CCL will probably be the same way. And the law states that as long as you sent in your renewal and are otherwise legal to carry, you can carry past the expiration date. Dont do the state any favors by renewing early. They wont do any favors for you. I plan to renew around Feb 1. My CCL expires Feb 28.

The good news is that you got the new FOID in a few weeks, the experation date 😡.

I renewed my Illinois DL 2 months early and it expires 4 years from the original experiation date.

All I know is that I won’t be in too big of a hurry to renew early. My FOID expires December 1 this year. I filled out the renewal online and got a new card a few weeks later that expires September 22, 2028. I lost 2 1/2 months for doing it early. My way of thinking is that it should have gone 10 years from December 1.

CCL will probably be the same way. And the law states that as long as you sent in your renewal and are otherwise legal to carry, you can carry past the expiration date. Don’t do the state any favors by renewing early. They won’t do any favors for you. I plan to renew around Feb 1. My CCL expires Feb 28.

I wonder if the new CCL expiration date will be later if it doesn't go "Active" until after the old one expires.

Heard from a CCL instructor yesterday whose CCL expires 1-20-19. The renewal button popped up and was active.

The only hiccup was on the 'upload required documentation' page asked for "approved training certificate from your CCL instructor and must be signed by you and your instructor".

I called ISP and they clarified with this:

the document referred to would be their instructor credentials

-- whatever they used the first time around, but for example the NRA credentials have expiration dates, so this should be their most current credentials.

This might also indicate instructor renewal portal becomes available at 90 days prior to expiration.

Odd. When I look at my instructor spot there is no expiration date. ??

Lou, I first misread this as you did... there is no instructor exp date.

-Sounds like your renewal portal will open 90 days before your CCL expires.

-Instructors upload whatever qualified them to be an instructor instead of a 3 hour training certificate.

Archived