Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

Molly B.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., June 22, 2015 at 03:19 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., June 22, 2015 at 03:19 AM - No reason given

Molly - Thats great news, Im just wondering if this that has been brought to light (actual proof of revocations) would help in getting a injunctions due to irreparable harm by taking our fully applied for, legal CCW away because we moved. Ofcourse we'd have to show cause that we are in the State of IL XX% of the time.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., June 22, 2015 at 03:19 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., June 22, 2015 at 03:19 AM - No reason given

Molly - Thats great news, Im just wondering if this that has been brought to light (actual proof of revocations) would help in getting a injunctions due to irreparable harm by taking our fully applied for, legal CCW away because we moved. Ofcourse we'd have to show cause that we are in the State of IL XX% of the time.

I am in the state daily for work and to visit my kids. On average a minimum of 10-12hrs per day.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., June 22, 2015 at 03:20 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., June 22, 2015 at 03:20 AM - No reason given

From the way I am reading the lawsuit as filed, these types of revocations would be covered in any ruling we get.

Revocations could be a separate suit as that suit could address a separate issue under the law. Namely, that suit could avoid a Civil rights battle and be decided simply by applying the FCCA as written. IANAL but ISP appears to be breaking the law by revoking licenses for that reason.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Significant development in this case yesterday: The Plaintiffs filed a motion for a preliminary injunction. The motion and supporting memorandum (retrieved from PACER) are attached.

Happy reading! :)

Edited Aug 11: Replaced memorandum with updated copy.

Motion for Preliminary Injunction.pdf

Memo in Support of Motion for Preliminary Injunction.pdf

Well, I hope something happens. I'm in TX, but visit IL frequently. I just don't understand the reasoning behind tying my state's rules to getting a non-res IL permit. I mean, if I comply with all the background checks and training that IL requires, regardless of which state I'm from, I think I should be able to an IL non-rez permit.

Just wondering.

TX gives non-res licenses regardless of home state, our only requirement is that you have to take the class physically in Texas.

One thing I was disappointed in, was that the lawsuit does not address the doubling of the license fee for non-residents. For a fundamental civil right, the fee should be the same. The current cost of the fee for non-residents is clearly excessive.

When you have limited space in the motions filings to argue points, narrow lawsuits addressing application access need to proceed first. It will be a lot harder to attack non-resident higher fees, and I'd rather the lawyers be able to dedicate all thirty pages of legal argument to the reasons why charging more for non-residents higher is unconstitutional versus only 5 pages out of the 30 allowed, allowing only 25 pages for the application access claim in Culp.

This is why the plaintiffs are OK, for this particular lawsuit, basically asking the ISP to allow them to pay their agency $300. More plaintiffs in an additional lawsuit can file saying it's a burden, and there's no shortage of potential plaintiffs in that regard.

Just because someone else is doing it doesn't make it right, or Constitutional.

True, but it does make the counterclaim a little more difficult.

Unlicensed open carry is probably going to allow some states to do whatever they want with concealed carry licensing. I figure the courts will find it a different sitution constitutionally when licensing is the only option for carry. Personally I think concealed carry is a right regardless, and regulation of it should comport with reasonable regulation of a civil right regardless of the availability of open carry. At a practical level I don't like open carry and don't think it is a good fit for most individuals and places. Government should no more force people to open carry as their only lawful option than they should for example force members of a particular religion to wear a distinctive symbol on their clothing.

Yes, the fee is excessive, but good luck arguing it when most other states charge more to nonresidents than residents.

A good lawyer could probably argue equal protection violation and disparate impact if he or she finds non-residents that are considered minorities given unequal protection compared to the residents just a few miles away.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived