Guns in the Home

Buzzard

Hello Members,

I recently had a discussion with my stepson regarding guns in the home. More specifically, it was regarding guns at the ready in the home. My stepson adamantly stated that ALL guns should be locked in a safe at ALL times. He maintains that's the only SAFE way guns can be kept in the home.

I then asked him, "...and if an armed intruder enters the home, then what?! Do you politely ask the intruder to wait patiently, telling him, 'Pardon me, but could you please wait a few minutes while I retrieve my gun, load it and return to defend myself?' "

My stepson said, "If someone breaks in, then I guess you get SHOT! That's the way it goes! Things happen!" Then he added "It's God's plan!" I don't know where he found this in the Bible, but he maintains that guns SHOULD NOT be kept at the ready in the home.

What do the members here say?

District of Columbia v. Heller says immediately usable firearms for home defense are protected by the 2nd Amendment (i.e., not unloaded and stored in a safe or bound by a trigger lock).

Because of DC's special administrative status (and because of a previous court precedent known as the Slaughterhouse cases), District of Columbia v. Heller did not at the time necessarily apply to the rest of the country.

McDonald v. Chicago, however, later both overturned the Slaughterhouse decision and affirmed that immediately usable firearms are protected everywhere.

FWIW, I personally think overturning the Slaughterhouse decision is highly underrated and overlooked, because it applies to all constitutionally protected liberties, not just the 2nd Amendment, but that's a different topic for some other thread.

... "If someone breaks in, then I guess you get SHOT! That's the way it goes! Things happen!" Then he added "It's God's plan!" I don't know where he found this in the Bible, ...

Forbidding victims of crime the ability to defend themselves legally grants the criminal the right to commit crimes. That's a fundamental breakdown of the rule of law.

Even if you can find anything in the Bible about crime, defense, or punishment, it's irrelevant. The United States is not a Christian theocracy, no matter what Jimmy Swaggart says.

Was this a discussion with an adult son or a youth?

Trying to get a handle on his viewpoint-

What does he believe is the purpose of a firearm?

Does he believe all potential weapons, ie knives, ballbats, slingshots, screwdrivers, eyc should be locked away or just guns?

You can be having a gun 101 talk or the advanced discussion.

I'll also add God has plans for everyone but I don't think breaking into someone's home to rape and murder was one of them.

Yeah, your stepson isn't thinking that through at all, for whatever reason. Just chalking it up to "things happen" just sounds really mentally lazy to me. I can't imagine that's a position any rational person would end up at unless they just wanted to be in disagreement for the sake of disagreement. Or maybe hes one of the brainwashed leftist hoards. Whatever.

A good compromise between your positions is one of those finger print activated bedside pistol safes. This way you can keep your firearms inaccessible to any children or other people you may have in your home and still have fairly quick and easy access to a loaded firearm when you need it.

We keep guns at the ready. Everyone in our house is trained to use them and respect them.

When guest or young family members are coming over, all guns are secured with the exceptions of the ones we have on ourselves.

Same here. All guns are kept secured except the ones we are carrying on our person. I have 7 and 13 year old daughters who we properly trained to use the firearms and they wouldn't even think about touching them without our knowledge. They've been taught how dangerous they are and know that they are not toys. Education is key.

Hello Members,

I recently had a discussion with my stepson regarding guns in the home. More specifically, it was regarding guns at the ready in the home. My stepson adamantly stated that ALL guns should be locked in a safe at ALL times. He maintains that's the only SAFE way guns can be kept in the home.

I then asked him, "...and if an armed intruder enters the home, then what?! Do you politely ask the intruder to wait patiently, telling him, 'Pardon me, but could you please wait a few minutes while I retrieve my gun, load it and return to defend myself?' "

My stepson said, "If someone breaks in, then I guess you get SHOT! That's the way it goes! Things happen!" Then he added "It's God's plan!" I don't know where he found this in the Bible, but he maintains that guns SHOULD NOT be kept at the ready in the home.

What do the members here say?

He might change his mind in my neighborhood. People actually do sometimes get shot here. And I do, always, carry.

And, we don't try to read or second guess the providence of God.

Even if you can find anything in the Bible about crime, defense, or punishment, it's irrelevant. The United States is not a Christian theocracy, no matter what Jimmy Swaggart says.

There's theocrats, and theocrats. There's folks that are smarter and more theoretical about it, and cruder ones. And I distrust them all.

To my way of thinking, there's only ever been one true theocracy, the ancient Israelite monarchy. It fulfilled its purpose, is gone, and will not return.

I've read the first post and don't have enough information about the scenario being discussed to offer anything more than more questions.

Does the stepson live in the OP's home? Is the stepson afraid of the OP's current practice (if indeed it is) of having loaded firearms readily available in the home? Is the stepson fearful of firearms in general? What steps have been taken to educate the stepson in the safe, responsible handling of firearms? Is there a momma in the picture and what are her views on the subject?

Fear of the unknown is not unreasonable. Information and positive experiences often allay fears. Not everyone is or will ever be comfortable around firearms, and that's OK too.

Two other sayings worthy of mention are. 1. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. 2. My house, my rules.

Best of luck furthering the cause.

So does he also recommend not wearing a seatbelt? It's the same theory; if you get in an accident, then I guess you die. Oh well...

What about a fire extinguiser? They shouldn't be kept in homes. If you have a fire, too bad...

So is it only in areas of self defence that he belevies people should not take precautions?

"What about a fire extinguisher?"

Well.... most people are not afraid of fire extinguishers nor view them as causing injury or death. Nor have generations of folks been told by the media how evil fire extinguishers are. Also, I can't personally recall any ordinance-mandated signs banning fire extinguishers to further reinforce the notion that they are the bane of society.

Firearms suffer from an abundance of bad press and ignorance. It was not always thus in my 7 decades of lifetime (and counting).

To supply further information, everyone in the family has been raised around firearms. The two oldest grandsons, now eighteen and twenty one have not only handled firearms, they've both attended an Appleseed Project with me.

The youngest grandson, currently in seventh grade has also attended Appleseed and has his own Ruger 10/22. He has also taken the hunter's safety course - which he and I took together. He has also been on several deer hunts. He also has a little sister in fifth grade - who has her eye on a similar Ruger in Muddy Girl pink. She's been told she's not quite old enough yet and needs more instruction and training.

It is the father of these two, who also deer hunts (shotgun), who voiced his concern. I get the feeling this may be coming home from school.

Ah, so your stepson is a grown adult with adult children himself. If he believes that guns should be kept locked in a safe, then in his house it is his choice to keep them in that manner.

We all get to choose who will be ultimately responsible for our personal safety and bear the responsibility for that choice.

Might as well agree to disagree with him. Religion and politics and all that.

Ah, so your stepson is a grown adult with adult children himself. If he believes that guns should be kept locked in a safe, then in his house it is his choice to keep them in that manner.

We all get to choose who will be ultimately responsible for our personal safety and bear the responsibility for that choice.

The stepson is around 42. He has teen and tween school children. As I said, I get the feeling that the things being pushed in public school are having an effect here.

The stepson is around 42. He has teen and tween school children. As I said, I get the feeling that the things being pushed in public school are having an effect here.

I don't know about that public school thing in this case. I thought they never discuss God in public schools these days. Stepson's goofy stuff sounds to me like he can take all the credit.

I don't know about that public school thing in this case. I thought they never discuss God in public schools these days. Stepson's goofy stuff sounds to me like he can take all the credit.

I didn't mean the "God" part of his statement. I was thinking along the lines of "guns in the home" as dangerous. I very much regret that the stepson is a "Fudd". He loves the whole deer hunting thing, all up to and including the building of a nice, warm, enclosed, carpeted "tree" stand (not sure where the tree comes in) but he'll have no part of shooting handguns - they just aren't his thing. I couldn't even get him to the range to sight in his shotgun scope. It's all about deer hunting and that's it.

And he refuses to vote, he says he doesn't care about politics. But he doesn't like Trump. He also assures me that "no one will ever take your guns away. They just can't do that!"

I didn't mean the "God" part of his statement. I was thinking along the lines of "guns in the home" as dangerous. I very much regret that the stepson is a "Fudd". He loves the whole deer hunting thing, all up to and including the building of a nice, warm, enclosed, carpeted "tree" stand (not sure where the tree comes in) but he'll have no part of shooting handguns - they just aren't his thing. I couldn't even get him to the range to sight in his shotgun scope. It's all about deer hunting and that's it.

And he refuses to vote, he says he doesn't care about politics. But he doesn't like Trump. He also assures me that "no one will ever take your guns away. They just can't do that!"

Sorry you're stuck with him. Sure glad I don't have to hang out with him. If he tried to tell me what to do with guns in my house it could get seriously testy. You're in a tough position, with the kids and all. Good luck!

The light just came on- He's the guy that puts the knife down in the horror movies.

I hope I am not crossing the line but your son is stupid just plain stupid. No other explaination. Stupid people are stupid because they refuse to be objective and educated.

What is worse is they want to educate others.

Our Holy Father does protect us from ignorance but not so much from intentional acts of stupidity.

Acidentally fall from a building might land us on soft ground. Jumping from height not so much.

I do not read where it is God's command for us to aid and abet a violent attacker to injure or murder a loved one.

^^^Thats a bit harsh. Though I would agree your step son is lacking in the common sense department. To each their own. If he doesn't want a hand gun, who cares? If he is out helping the anti crowd he maybe wouldn't be invited to the weekend dinner get togethers. He is still family whether you like it or not. When he does come around and has the kids with him, explain your side to them as clear as possible with examples. If the kids have any brains, they'll figure it out.

Archived