Why 30 Day Waiting Period

GWBH

Can someone enlighten me?

We all know that the waiting period takes longer to process a CCL versus an FOID for change of name or address requests or renewals.

Background checks are required for both an FOID and a CCL. I'm assuming this is done though the NICS data base in the same way purchasing a firearm is required.

That said, the 30 day waiting period for a CCL (supposedly) gives local law enforcement time to review the applicant's history and file an objection with the ISP against the issue of a CCL.

Why the 30 days? Why does a CCL require more scrutiny than an FOID? They both allow a person to purchase a firearm or ammunition. Local LE has no "waiting period" to file an objection against the issue of an FOID card.

What could local law enforcement know about an applicant that would not show up on an NICS check.

Would it be a mental health issue or conviction of a crime that was never reported by the medical community or judicial system? And if so, does someone need to take a hard look at the way reporting to NICS is done?

Background checks are required for both an FOID and a CCL. I'm assuming this is done though the NICS data base in the same way purchasing a firearm is required.

Not that it explains why so long but there is more than a NICS check for CCL.

Background Check.

Once the applicants identity is verified, the Bureau

performs an extensive background check through numerous state and national systems. For instance, it must verify that an applicants criminal history does not render the applicant ineligible. For Illinois residents, this includes a review of the applicants criminal history through federal systems, as well as two systems maintained by the Illinois State Police: the Criminal History Record Inquiry system and the Computerized Hot Files system.

As another component of the background check, a resident applicants information is made available to Illinois law enforcement agencies, which may submit an objection to a [concealed carry license] applicant based upon a reasonable

suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself, herself, or others, or is a threat to public safety.

Mental Health Prohibitors.

The Bureau must also verify that the applicant does not have any mental health prohibitors, an analysis that overlaps in part with the background check. For Illinois residents, the Bureau consults the Illinois Department of Human Services FOID Mental Health System, which contains information on Illinois mental health facility admissions, to determine whether an

individual has been involuntarily admitted into a mental health facility in Illinois or has been a patient in a mental health facility in Illinois within the past five years or more. This database does not contain records of out-of-state mental health

facility admissions, and the Bureau does not have access to other states mental health facility admissions databases, if any exist. As for federal databases, only the National Instant Criminal Background Check Index contains information related to mental health prohibitors, but that information is largely limited to individuals prohibited from firearm possession under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4).

Not that it explains why so long but there is more than a NICS check for CCL.

Background Check.

Once the applicants identity is verified, the Bureau

performs an extensive background check through numerous state and national systems. For instance, it must verify that an applicants criminal history does not render the applicant ineligible. For Illinois residents, this includes a review of the applicants criminal history through federal systems, as well as two systems maintained by the Illinois State Police: the Criminal History Record Inquiry system and the Computerized Hot Files system.

As another component of the background check, a resident applicants information is made available to Illinois law enforcement agencies, which may submit an objection to a [concealed carry license] applicant based upon a reasonable

suspicion that the applicant is a danger to himself, herself, or others, or is a threat to public safety.

Mental Health Prohibitors.

The Bureau must also verify that the applicant does not have any mental health prohibitors, an analysis that overlaps in part with the background check. For Illinois residents, the Bureau consults the Illinois Department of Human Services FOID Mental Health System, which contains information on Illinois mental health facility admissions, to determine whether an

individual has been involuntarily admitted into a mental health facility in Illinois or has been a patient in a mental health facility in Illinois within the past five years or more. This database does not contain records of out-of-state mental health

facility admissions, and the Bureau does not have access to other states mental health facility admissions databases, if any exist. As for federal databases, only the National Instant Criminal Background Check Index contains information related to mental health prohibitors, but that information is largely limited to individuals prohibited from firearm possession under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(4).

That makes some sense... and I get that there is more involved than just a NICS check.

But doesn't all that apply for even an FOID? ...and there are less CCL applications to wade through than FOID apps...

cybermgk probably has the answer... "because we're the government - that's why!! Now shut up and fork over your cash!" LOL!

I agree the law we got was forced on them and we allowed them to stick all kinds of ignorant crap in there to make it inconvenient and expensive to get. All the powers that wanna be wanted to do was get something on paper to get the courts off their backs, and we allowed them to screw us with this.

The 3 day waiting period for buying a handgun is down right stupid since the last 2 handguns I bought I had one on my hip when I bought it and when I had to come back 3 days later to get it. SO the argument for it is wrong.

That makes some sense... and I get that there is more involved than just a NICS check.

But doesn't all that apply for even an FOID? ...and there are less CCL applications to wade through than FOID apps...

The FOID doesn't have a national law enforcement comment period like the CCL does. It doesn't even have a local law enforcement comment period.

You don't waive your HIPAA privacy rights for a FOID, although ISP says it guards your HIPAA secrets when you apply for a CCL, pass or fail.

I agree the law we got was forced on them and we allowed them to stick all kinds of ignorant crap in there to make it inconvenient and expensive to get. All the powers that wanna be wanted to do was get something on paper to get the courts off their backs, and we allowed them to screw us with this.

The 3 day waiting period for buying a handgun is down right stupid since the last 2 handguns I bought I had one on my hip when I bought it and when I had to come back 3 days later to get it. SO the argument for it is wrong.

Yes, it is stupid. Bills have been filed to change that, but Madigan and friends will not let the bills go to committee or the chamber floors for debate.

If w/prints apps are getting 45-60 days and non get 110-120 for approval after a 30 day object period, I find it hard to believe there is that much extra manual effort involved. And if they arent able to keep workers because they move on to better jobs, maybe they need to revisit the job descriotion and salary/pay.

The FOID doesn't have a national law enforcement comment period like the CCL does. It doesn't even have a local law enforcement comment period.

You don't waive your HIPAA privacy rights for a FOID, although ISP says it guards your HIPAA secrets when you apply for a CCL, pass or fail.

Well that's a comfort... considering hackers get into all kinds of data bases every day!!

I'm sure the Commodore 64 system at the ISP is incredibly secure considering the FOID and CCL data bases don't even recognize each other!

Sorry for the rant - just really hacked off about the whole mess of procedures and costs... as I know everyone else is!

Archived