What's our purpose here?

Ranger

What is the VFW for? To foster camaraderie among like veterans of overseas conflicts. Not all of them vote the same.

Had to bring up the VFW, didn't you? :pinch:

The local VFW has a kitchen and restaurant open to the public. I visited there for the first time a week ago and to my complete surprise was greeted by the "no guns" sign on the front door. Total disbelief. The last place I ever thought I'd see this. IMO this is completely disrespectful to the entire lineage of those who served from the Revolutionary War to the present. How dare they?

I got my fish dinner, but since I was with friends did not ask to talk with the manager. Did leave a "no guns/no money" card on the table. We'll see how this turns out. It's not over.

Not sure about where you are, but VFWs around here are first and foremost bars, with the occasional fish fry or something, and an occasional rental of the banquet room.

They're likely posted due to the alcohol sales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

What is the VFW for? To foster camaraderie among like veterans of overseas conflicts. Not all of them vote the same.

The local VFW has a kitchen and restaurant open to the public. I visited there for the first time a week ago and to my complete surprise was greeted by the "no guns" sign on the front door. Total disbelief. The last place I ever thought I'd see this. IMO this is completely disrespectful to the entire lineage of those who served from the Revolutionary War to the present. How dare they?

I got my fish dinner, but since I was with friends did not ask to talk with the manager. Did leave a "no guns/no money" card on the table. We'll see how this turns out. It's not over.

Not sure about where you are, but VFWs around here are first and foremost bars, with the occasional fish fry or something, and an occasional rental of the banquet room.

Understood. Many Armerican Legions have found a new revenue stream surrounding poker machines. If you see those, long with the many people playing them, there's a chance even alcohol revenue will be under 50%.

I understand where the OP is coming from and have considered starting a similar thread, but with more of a "what have we accomplished since CCL?" perspective (less concerned with wandering thread topics). To be clear, I understand that IL is a tough environment, and I really do appreciate all of the knowledge, time, and energy put forth by Molly, Todd, and many others on our behalf. I couldn't ask for a better team to represent my 2A interests in IL. I'm obviously more of a lurker than a poster, but this is my go-to forum for IL carry information (and largely it's been phenomenal in that regard). That said, it has been difficult to aggregate the IL legislative 2A comings and goings. I sense that we've been playing defense more than offense since CCL became available to us. The status of various initiatives (offense or defense) is not always clear to me.

I guess my suggestion would be to have a locked thread or two that would act as a RAIL, report card, newsletter, or visual status board, detailing the activities that have been completed or are actively being worked by this site and it's partners. It wouldn't need to contain strategy information, but more executive summary format. There's a lot of good work done by the members of this board, but I don't think we always do a good job of taking credit for it, or sharing it with the community.

The bar area appeared to be 1/4 or 1/5 the size of the dining area. It was tiny. And nearly no occupants. In contrast the dining area was busy. I forgot about the alcohol thing...if so, this is the first place I've visited that was posted for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Good discussion. I'm not liberal and i'm not homosexual and i'm not female and i'm not a minority. Probably like most here, I'm a conservative, white, heterosexual male but... I know of a democrat named Phelps who was one our true champions for concealed carry in the legislature, a minority member named Otis who helped get a favorable court decision, a couple ladies named Mary and Molly who were instramental in getting concealed carry for Illinois, and i read a report that Romney would have defeated Obama if he had just pulled a little more of the homosexual vote.

I don't want to alienate any potential allies who could help move our 2nd amendment rights forward and i hope that we as a group can take the approach of focusing on those things that build unity and commadarie vs divisiveness.

Make sense?

Good discussion. I'm not liberal and i'm not homosexual and i'm not female and i'm not a minority. Probably like most here, I'm a conservative, white, heterosexual male but... I know of a democrat named Phelps who was one our true champions for concealed carry in the legislature, a minority member named Otis who helped get a favorable court decision, a couple ladies named Mary and Molly who were instramental in getting concealed carry for Illinois, and i read a report that Romney would have defeated Obama if he had just pulled a little more of the homosexual vote.

I don't want to alienate any potential allies who could help move our 2nd amendment rights forward and i hope that we as a group can take the approach of focusing on those things that build unity and commadarie vs divisiveness.

Make sense?

+ 1. Makes sense to me.

Make sense?

Well, Wow, if you're not liberal and not homosexual and not female and not a minority -- tranny?-- No?---just what new species are you?

Seriously though, your comment does make a LOT of sense.

Archived