Washington Votes Pass I-1639

kevinmcc

Yankee Marshal made a few videos about this binding referendum, including one a while ago about how the proponents got it on the ballot originally. Basically they set up tables at grocery stores and told people they were signing a petition to stop the implementation of a grocery tax. Anyway, the specific provisions of the initiative are:
  • Defines any operational semiautomatic rifle, except relics, as an assault rifle (not assault weapon, and yes, a 10/22 is now an assault rifle in Washington)
  • Requires all firearm owners to take an 8-hour safety class every 5 years (think classes to have a FOID, not just a CCL, for us). Transferees must present proof of having taken a class to the FFL at time of transfer (BTW, Washington already has "universal background checks," so even private sales/transfers have to go through an FFL.)
  • Background checks are to be run by the local PD, which informs the FFL in writing of the result, for any purchase or transfer (So transferees must first inform the local PD of an intent to acquire each firearm. The PD has up to 30 days to process the application and may choose to deny it for reasons other than a failed NICS check.)
  • The FFL must have for sale gun locks and gun safes and specifically offer them for purchase to the transferee at the time of transfer
  • The waiting period at the FFL is 10 days (in addition to the up to 30 that the PD has)
  • The minimum age required to purchase any firearm in increased to 21
  • The failure of the firearm owner to prevent a firearm from being accessed by someone ineligible to own a firearm without supervision (e.g., a child, a thief, etc.) is a felony
Think about it for a second. Reporting a firearm stolen means confessing to a felony. That strikes me as violating the 5th amendment. It makes me think that the ACLU is going to help challenge this law.

Think about it for a second. Reporting a firearm stolen means confessing to a felony.

Not if the stolen firearm was in a gun safe.

See that empty space on my bookshelf? That's where the safe with my guns was before it was stolen.

- or -

The thief threatened to kill me if I didn't unlock my gun safe and since my gun was in the safe and I couldn't use it to protect myself so I unlocked the safe and let him take my guns.

It's an interestingly vague law. From the plain text, it appears if you lock the doors/windows of your house or put it in a locked room that would meet the definition of secure storage. Emphasis added. But, the B part is a zinger, I can't see how that isn't in direct conflict with Heller! And I can't see how an entire ban of every semi-automatic rifle isn't in direct conflict with Miller!

(24) "Secure gun storage" means: (a) A locked box, gun safe, or other secure locked storage space that is designed to prevent unauthorized use or discharge of a firearm; and (B) The act of keeping an unloaded firearm stored by such means.

Annnnnnnd... this is the reason I voted for Trump. SCOTUS. They can make all the silly anti-gun laws they want, but with one more textual Constitutionalist, these kinds of laws are done. RGB in the hospital? Kennedy 82? Breyer 80? And Trump in office for (hopefully) 6 more years? It's a slow haul, but the load is moving in our direction. In twenty years, my grandkids will look favorably on my voting record.

Annnnnnnd... this is the reason I voted for Trump. SCOTUS. They can make all the silly anti-gun laws they want, but with one more textual Constitutionalist, these kinds of laws are done. RGB in the hospital? Kennedy 82? Breyer 80? And Trump in office for (hopefully) 6 more years? It's a slow haul, but the load is moving in our direction. In twenty years, my grandkids will look favorably on my voting record.
Ehhhh...Kennedy was just replaced.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ehhhh...Kennedy was just replaced.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm old and I forget sometimes :)

Archived