Warren's shopping list for gun control

Euler

Protecting Our Communities from Gun Violence

My synopsis is below. If you want to see the whole thing, use the link.

Executive Action to Reduce Gun Violence

• Bring the vast majority of private sales, including at gun shows and online, under the existing background check umbrella.
  • Extend the existing requirement to report bulk sales to nearly all gun sales.
  • Expand the number of sales covered by existing age restriction provisions.
  • Instruct my Attorney General to go after the interstate and transnational gun trafficking trade.
  • Direct the ATF to prioritize oversight of dealers with serial compliance violations.
  • Appoint an attorney general committed to investigating the NRA.
  • Close the so-called boyfriend loophole by defining intimate partner to include anyone with a domestic violence conviction involving any form of romantic partner.
  • Overturn Trump-era policies enabling 3-D printed guns, regulate 80% receivers as firearms, and reverse the ATF ruling that allows a shooter to convert a pistol to a short-barreled rifle using pistol braces.
  • Transfer exports of semi-automatic firearms and ammunition from the State Department to the Commerce Department, and prevent the import of foreign-manufactured assault weapons into the United States.
Structural Changes to Pass Gun Safety Legislation

Enact the most sweeping set of anticorruption reforms since Watergate - a set of big structural changes that includes ending lobbying as we know it and slamming shut the revolving door.

Legislation to Reduce Gun Violence

• Create a federal licensing system for the purchase of any type of firearm or ammunition.
  • Require universal background checks.
  • Increase taxes on gun manufacturers.
  • Establish a one-week waiting period for all firearm purchases.
  • Limit the number of guns that can be purchased to one per month.
  • Create a new federal anti-gun-trafficking law for trafficking firearms or engaging in straw purchases.
  • Raise the minimum age for gun purchases at 21 for all gun sales.
  • Pass a new federal assault weapons ban and require individuals already in possession of assault weapons to register them.
  • Ban high-capacity ammunition magazines.
  • Prohibit silencers, trigger cranks, and other mechanisms that increase the rate of fire or make semi-automatic weapons fully automatic.
  • Pass extreme risk protection laws to temporarily restrict access to firearms for individuals in crisis or at elevated risk of harming themselves or others.
  • Prohibit anyone convicted of a hate crime from owning a gun.
  • Close the boyfriend loophole and expand the law to include individuals with restraining orders or who have been convicted of stalking.
  • Improve the Gun-Free School Zones Act to include college and university campuses, and apply to individuals licensed by a state or locality to carry a firearm.
  • Repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
  • Hold gun manufacturers strictly liable for the harm they cause through a federal private right of action.
  • Fully fund ATF's regulatory and compliance programs and remove the riders and restrictions that prevent it from doing its job.
  • Repeal the provision of law that prevents the Consumer Product Safety Commission from regulating the safety of firearms and their accessories.
  • Pass basic safety standards for federally-licensed gun dealers, including employee background checks, locked cabinets, and up-to-date inventories of the weapons they have in stock.
  • Impose criminal liability and jail time for corporate executives when their company is found guilty of a crime or their negligence causes severe harm to American families.
Annual Research and Annual Reauthorization

Include an annual investment for DOJ and HHS to conduct research into the root causes of gun violence and the most effective ways to prevent it, including by analyzing gun trafficking patterns and researching new technologies to improve gun safety.

• Prohibit silencers, trigger cranks, and other mechanisms that increase the rate of fire or make semi-automatic weapons fully automatic

Wow, I always knew the grabbers believed suppressors made guns go "pew pew" just like a fictional Hollywood movie but if they also believe they completely change the mechanics of a firearm to make it fully automatic we truly are fighting an uphill battle of ignorance.

All of the Dems are calling for bans, registrations, etc. Most spoke at MDA/Everytowns gun forum in Iowa yesterday. I think they all have their extreme positions on their web sites.

Corey Booker

As president, Cory will pursue the most sweeping gun violence prevention plan in history:

.Take on the NRA and the corporate gun lobby.

.Keep guns out of the wrong hands with gun licensing.

.Pass universal background checks, ban assault weapons, and close the loopholes that allow people who should never have a gun to get one.

.Bring real regulation and oversight to gun manufacturers.

.End legal immunity that prevents victims of gun violence from seeking justice.

.Require handgun microstamping.

.Close the Charleston Loophole and the Boyfriend Loophole.

.Ban assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and bump stocks.

.Limit gun buyers to one handgun per month.

.Ramp up funding for community-based violence intervention programs and gun violence research.

.Take executive action to build on ongoing efforts and take concrete steps forward.

Let's hope the Supreme Court puts down their foot and applies at least strict scrutiny to the 2nd, the timing could not be better.

It usually takes over 10 years+ for overturning an unconstitutional law.

With Trump and McConnel backing "assault weapon" bans, you can bet it's almost a sure thing at this point, since very few want to stand up and demand rights against them.

Let's hope the Supreme Court puts down their foot and applies at least strict scrutiny to the 2nd, the timing could not be better.

With Trump and McConnel backing "assault weapon" bans, you can bet it's almost a sure thing at this point, since very few want to stand up and demand rights against them.

Injunctions can happen immediatley, how long did it take for all the same sex marriage bans to fall after the Supreme Court ruled and put down their foot? Either way even if it takes years, I would rather win in the end then win in the short.

From Fox!

Injunctions can happen immediatley, how long did it take for all the same sex marriage bans to fall after the Supreme Court ruled and put down their foot? Either way even if it takes years, I would rather win in the end then win in the short.

Agreed sir!

"Instruct my Attorney General to go after the interstate and transnational gun trafficking trade."

Persons traveling daily from Indiana to Illinois for employment might require a passport and declarations of property transported from "foreign" states to enforce the above.

So leave early for work to avoid traffic backups at border crossing checks.

Or just don't vote for someone who doesn't understand the meaning of the word infringe.

• Prohibit silencers, trigger cranks, and other mechanisms that increase the rate of fire or make semi-automatic weapons fully automatic

Wow, I always knew the grabbers believed suppressors made guns go "pew pew" just like a fictional Hollywood movie but if they also believe they completely change the mechanics of a firearm to make it fully automatic we truly are fighting an uphill battle of ignorance.

You can fix "stupid" as it is a lack of knowledge. "Dumb" is "structural" and forever.

What we need to start asking these politicians that claim to have all the answers to stopping mass shootings is this:

"Why is it semi-automatic rifles have been available to the civilian market for over a hundred years, and yet, mass shootings were unheard of before 1982?"

Some studies have stated that mass shootings have tripled since 2011. Again, I'd like them to explain this. It's not the availability of semi-auto firearms.

What we need to start asking these politicians that claim to have all the answers to stopping mass shootings is this:

"Why is it semi-automatic rifles have been available to the civilian market for over a hundred years, and yet, mass shootings were unheard of before 1982?"

Some studies have stated that mass shootings have tripled since 2011. Again, I'd like them to explain this. It's not the availability of semi-auto firearms.

In spirit, I agree that mass shootings are not associated with the availability of firearms, semi-auto or otherwise, but I believe the first mass shooting in the US by a solitary perpetrator was in 1949 by Howard Unruh. He walked around his NJ neighborhood killing 13 people.

The usual "first" mass shooting in the US cited is the 1966 University of Texas shooting by an ex-marine, ex-student sniping from the university's clock tower, killing 15 and wounding 31.

Also, a year or two ago, two UIUC researchers studied the frequency of mass shootings (defined as at least 4 people killed who had not previously been known to the perpetrator, so family destroyers, drug conflicts, etc. were excluded) and determined they have been occurring at a relatively constant rate of one per month since the 1970's. I'm too lazy to Google it, but I recall it being discussed here.

Archived